GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Chrome Gear Shift Bezel - Awesome & Easy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-01, 02:07 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just installed the chrome gear shift bezel (that comes with 2001 GS's) on my 99 GS400....and it looks awesome!

It was a snap to install, not nearly as difficult as other people made it seem. I used no tape or glue of any kind, just snapped out the old black one, and put in the new chrome one, within a minute or two!

I got mine from Steve Ganz @ Carson Toyota...only $16...which is an UNBEATABLE price, everyone else asks for close to $30 for this, thanks Steve!

This is one of the best low-cost "looks" mod you can do to your GS!!! Only $16 from Steve! And simple & easy install!

You can email Steve now to get this, here is his email gonzo4u@earthlink.net

Attached Thumbnails Chrome Gear Shift Bezel - Awesome & Easy!!!-blackwood-5.jpg  

Last edited by nanotech; 09-03-01 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-01-01, 02:09 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The pic I posted above is not mine...I simply posted it to show what a chrome bezel looks like since I don't have a digital camera myself.
Old 09-01-01, 02:45 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was just gonna ask! looks awsome i might do it :-D
Old 09-01-01, 06:33 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just emailed Steve, can't wait to get it !
Old 09-02-01, 01:11 AM
SilverGSguy
Pole Position

does anyone have steve's email, i seemed to have lost it. anyways, it looks nice!
Old 09-02-01, 05:44 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

silvergsguy, his email is gonzo4u@earthlink.net

Old 09-03-01, 08:27 PM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Nano,

Thanks for posting this. I had questions about the fitment of the chrome bezel piece for a while but you seem to have had no problems getting it installed. I'm not sure where the discrepancy comes from from those who say that double-sided tape is needed for proper install. If it really just snaps right in tightly, I'd do it in a second.

Did the chrome piece and the stock piece look identical "underneath"? Did the chrome piece snap in "tightly"?

Also, this may be obvious, but do you remove the stock piece by prying up on it gently w/ a flathead screw driveR?

Thanks for the responses.
Old 09-04-01, 07:46 AM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

The new chrome bezel does not snap right in on my 98 Gs4, it snaps in on the right side, but on the left side, the clips are different. I tried tape, but I still have not figured out a way to make it stay perfectly.
To remove the old one, use a small flathead and pull up one of the edges. Once you got the edge up, rip out the old gasket, remember that the plastic around the shifter scratches easily so be careful.
Old 09-04-01, 10:34 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-01, 01:04 PM
clivej
Pole Position

Hi Guys,
GS4to4,the chrome bezel can be made vto fit firmly in place, heres howi did mine,the three small snaps on the left side have to be bent out towards the left side.Imagine a "U" cut symetrically.i used a pointed pair of pliers and bent them outward,very easy.they then just snapped into place and remained there,i too tried the double sidded tape (did not work)bending them outward words perfectly for me ,all sides are flat on the base now.
Old 09-04-01, 03:01 PM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

I bought 2 new bezels. Both of them have the middle left clip missing. I guess it snapped off during shipping or something. I hope it will hold when I bend just the two outer clips but it looks like the clips are very brittle, how did you bend them and not break
Old 09-04-01, 03:08 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by clivej
Hi Guys,
GS4to4,the chrome bezel can be made vto fit firmly in place, heres howi did mine,the three small snaps on the left side have to be bent out towards the left side.Imagine a "U" cut symetrically.i used a pointed pair of pliers and bent them outward,very easy.they then just snapped into place and remained there,i too tried the double sidded tape (did not work)bending them outward words perfectly for me ,all sides are flat on the base now.
Thanks for the tip Clive !
Old 09-04-01, 04:47 PM
clivej
Pole Position

Hi Guys'
They are not brittle at all. it is actually plastic with a chrome plateing when you start to bend it the plateing covering that small piece falls off and you just continue to bend the plastic,however i strongly suggest you use a pointed (small) pair of pliers.By bending these pieces you are in effect creating clips on this side and thats why it sits flush on the base, no glue,no double sided tape,have no fear, if you dont try to break it ,it won't break.Remember ,the only thing you are trying to bend is 3/2 little snaps on the left side.
Old 09-08-01, 12:28 PM
zz231
Pole Position

does anyone have the part # for the chrome bezel?
i went to my dealer and they said that they can only get the black one (thru 7/00). to get the chrome one (after 7/00) you have to buy the whole assembly for $300.
i know they're not bs'ing me cause i looked at thier computer and what they said was true. the parts manager said that if i can get him the part # for the chrome bezel then he can get it for me in a day. and they sell the black one for $12 so the chrome bezel shouldn't be alot more.

so if anyone has the part number can you please post it here?
Old 09-08-01, 01:36 PM
clivej
Pole Position

Hi Guys ,
The part # is 58843-30120.

Quick Reply: Chrome Gear Shift Bezel - Awesome & Easy!!!