GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Carbon fiber roof on a GS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-06, 07:39 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Carbon fiber roof on a GS?

Hey guys. I was thinking about doing a Carbon fiber roof on my GS like the M3 CSL. My plan is to order some carbon fiber sheets, have them form fitted to the roof, then clear coated by the body guy. What do you guys think of the idea? Here is a pic of the M3 CSL roof for reference.
Attached Thumbnails Carbon fiber roof on a GS?-1054.jpg  
Old 03-29-06, 07:48 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since your car is black....I think it would look great. How about getting the hood and rear deck as well??? Any other color it might not cut it.
Old 03-29-06, 07:50 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great idea , would save alot of weight but would probably cost alot of $$$
Old 03-29-06, 07:56 AM
Lvangundy

Would you be cutting and replacing the roof area with CF? Or just adding it on top?

You're only getting the cool factor by layering it on top..
Old 03-29-06, 08:01 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen this done on WRX's and Evo's at shows and I really like the look but only if you complete with a more tuner theme. I wouldn't do the trunk that would be overkill imo but doing the roof and hood or even a partial hood with the center CF and side of hood body color would look great with the matching roof.

One question? Are you planning on chrome/polished wheels? I think you would need darker wheels to match the look like maybe blk wheels,graphite,gunmetal,hyperblk or something along those line with chrome or polished lips to bring it out. Chrome with CF doesn't match imo.
Old 03-29-06, 08:01 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

How about clear coating the simulated stuff lol. Can't tell the difference when there will be clearcoat over it. http://www.stickercity.com/store/pro...cat=359&page=1
Old 03-29-06, 08:03 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvangundy
Would you be cutting and replacing the roof area with CF? Or just adding it on top?

You're only getting the cool factor by layering it on top..
Most likely thats what it is, Everyone one I've seen has been done that way. they cut it to fit perfect on top and than cleacoat it. looks really good but won't save weight but who cares its for show mostly anyway. I say try it but with a tuner feel.
Old 03-29-06, 08:04 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Are you putting this on over top of the existing roof structure? Or planning on cutting out the existing roof and replacing it?
Old 03-29-06, 08:09 AM
svt5150
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure he is just going to lay it over the existing roof AND no, dont get the sticker crap! hah.
Old 03-29-06, 08:12 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bluelex
I've seen this done on WRX's and Evo's at shows and I really like the look but only if you complete with a more tuner theme. I wouldn't do the trunk that would be overkill imo but doing the roof and hood or even a partial hood with the center CF and side of hood body color would look great with the matching roof.

One question? Are you planning on chrome/polished wheels? I think you would need darker wheels to match the look like maybe blk wheels,graphite,gunmetal,hyperblk or something along those line with chrome or polished lips to bring it out. Chrome with CF doesn't match imo.
Not planning to touch the trunk at all A. The hood, hmmm If you look at the M3 CSL, it is just the roof that is done on that car, and it looks sick. As far as rims, my wheels are being sanded and high polished as we speak. The lips will have a mirror finish. I'm not feeling black wheels for some reason or the bling bling chrome look. I love a sporty Euro look to my ride even though it is a Japanese car.
Old 03-29-06, 08:25 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Are you putting this on over top of the existing roof structure? Or planning on cutting out the existing roof and replacing it?
Over the existing roof Dave. I believe the thinnest size available is 0.5 mm in thickness. Real CF that is.
Old 03-29-06, 08:44 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Over the existing roof Dave. I believe the thinnest size available is 0.5 mm in thickness. Real CF that is.
I think it would look cool but on the CSL the CF is the roof (not over the roof).... adds strength and saves weight where here it'll add weight. But it will look cool still

I think I'd personally only do something like this if you were building a car you intended to enter in shows a lot. On top of the car, I don't think it's going to be noticed by many on the street.
Old 03-29-06, 08:56 AM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like he's not doing it for anyone else except himself.....

go for your gut feeling... I think it'll look HOT pending you match the rest of the car w/ a certain theme to compliment the CF roof
Old 03-29-06, 09:03 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UptownGS
Sounds like he's not doing it for anyone else except himself.....

go for your gut feeling... I think it'll look HOT pending you match the rest of the car w/ a certain theme to compliment the CF roof
Oh yes I have a plan with this car..This is just part of the plan. Yup, doing this for me since I want a sporty Euro look to the car. Oh as far as show, NYC is the biggest show on earth. It will be noticed by the populous
Old 03-29-06, 09:19 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Chop the roof and replace with CF and you have my vote. Just remember....3700lbs

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber roof on a GS?