GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

any1 using weapon r?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-06, 09:53 PM
mr. aristo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any1 using weapon r?

was wondering if any1 has or is using a weapon r intake system on their lexus...if so do u like or dislike it. also for intakes what are the difference in years 98-00 and 01-03 is that correct?
Old 03-30-06, 10:21 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

there have been many topics discussing the different intakes for our Lexus' - including : Injen, Weapon-R, SRT, K&N and I think there was another one, but I forget.. use the search feature - RMMGS4 knew a lot, I forgot the person who did the write up on the other dyno's, I know he's the founder of CL - I'll try to keep lookin', or maybe someone else can chime in with user names lol

good luck!
Old 03-31-06, 04:30 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mr. aristo
was wondering if any1 has or is using a weapon r intake system on their lexus...if so do u like or dislike it. also for intakes what are the difference in years 98-00 and 01-03 is that correct?
The MAF sensor on the 01-05 has been changed, and there is one less vacuum tube. 99-00 intake is not compatible with 01-05. Also, all the listed brands of intakes you listed will perform pretty much the same...about 5hp gain at the most. The only exception is the SRT because it has the pre-programmed ECU, it is supposed to boost power by 15-20hp or so. These numbers are for a GS300. I'm not sure if the GS400/430 has bigger gains.
Old 03-31-06, 05:10 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to have the Weapon-r than went to the SRT and it was a nice difference.
Old 03-31-06, 08:49 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well RMMGS4 will have the dyno truth or dare results for us on the various intakes shortly. Stay tuned befor you spend $$$$.
Old 03-31-06, 10:15 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea,
we are doing dyno testing and it will be as controlled and consistent testing as we possibly can. I have no idea how the results will turn out, but they may be surprising. I hope the dyno runs we do will provide more useful information than what we had inthe past. How conclusive will it be? Well we shall see.

Our testing results will be a big first step towards identifying performance gains for our cars.

In actuality, the more people that perform dyno testing on the same or similar set ups the more comparisons we will have and the more we can build a strong case to back up our findings.

We did the baseline dynos yesterday. The one surprise is that we see a 15 HP difference between our 4 cars. We all have various but similar mods. All I can say is the car with the most HP was not the one we expected. This brings in the factor that not all GS motors may start out with the same power. But this is the reason why we are using more than one car to validate an intake.

The big one we are waiting for is the install of S & S headers on these same 4 cars.

Looking forward to seeing what happens there.
Old 03-31-06, 10:20 AM
vicestan
Lead Lap

15hp , thats pretty significant considering most people used to say before the most gain a car would get is about 3 hp.
Old 03-31-06, 10:50 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Yea,
we are doing dyno testing and it will be as controlled and consistent testing as we possibly can. I have no idea how the results will turn out, but they may be surprising. I hope the dyno runs we do will provide more useful information than what we had inthe past. How conclusive will it be? Well we shall see.
How about the ecu learning to the intake? So far, my experience is that the car needs to be driven around for 10-15minutes before the ecu picks up the new intake. Any provisions for that in the tests?

We did the baseline dynos yesterday. The one surprise is that we see a 15 HP difference between our 4 cars. We all have various but similar mods. All I can say is the car with the most HP was not the one we expected. This brings in the factor that not all GS motors may start out with the same power. But this is the reason why we are using more than one car to validate an intake.
This is something I noticed as well. My car is quicker than my friends IS300, and I'm able to keep up with many cars that are supposed to be quicker than me. I don't know if its possible or not, but I think my car might of come with more power from the factory than previous years(uptuned ecu?). I mean, it is the last year production for the 2JZ motor so they might of done something, but not stated it officially. One note, when we did a race a while back...both of our cars were bone stock.
Old 03-31-06, 12:11 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yup, no two cars are created equal. There is some validity to the my car is quicker than yours stuff. Well this test will open some eyes and wallets. There might be some happy and unhappy folks who spent $$$ for what they thought was the power booster mod.
Old 03-31-06, 01:38 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
How about the ecu learning to the intake? So far, my experience is that the car needs to be driven around for 10-15minutes before the ecu picks up the new intake. Any provisions for that in the tests?
Good Question , Yup. Here's what we did so far. Baseline tested our cars yesterday, same day , same dyno , same overall conditions. This weekend, all of the intake swapping occurs. We will reset the ECUs at that same time. Cars will then be driven throughout the week. We will actually kind of lead foot it around town to work, etc.

Next Friday we will dyno the cars all together once again. At this point I won't describe the process we are using to test and compare intakes, but it will be done in such a way that even though the cars started with different set ups and HP, we will be able to make some numerical comparisons between the intakes, where the results "should" add up to supporting each set up, because of the way we are doing it. . Those details will have to wait for the formal write up at the end of April.

Following next Friday's dyno, all the cars will proceed to have the headers installed and we will ALL know the final power of our cars when we run our Dyno Day meet on April 22 and the results published the following week.

Do note that other testing is happening as well, we are also testing exhaust on an IS350, plus some other surprises.

It will all be out about a month from now.

Actually it may go beyond a month since some of us will continue to mod and report dyno results. Atleast one of the current cars will be FI by the end of summer as well.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-31-06 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-31-06, 01:46 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good Question , Yup. Here's what we did so far. Baseline tested our cars yesterday, same day , same dyno , same overall conditions. This weekend, all of the intake swapping occurs. We will reset the ECUs at that same time. Cars will then be driven throughout the week. We will actually kind of lead foot it around town to work, etc.

Next Friday we will dyno the cars all together once again. At this point I won't describe the process we are using to test and compare intakes, but it will be done in such a way that even though the cars started with different set ups and HP, we will be able to make some numerical comparisons between the intakes, where the results "should" add up to supporting each set up, because of the way we are doing it. . Those details will have to wait for the formal write up at the end of April.

Following next Friday's dyno, all the cars will proceed to have the headers installed and we will ALL know the final power of our cars when we run our Dyno Day meet on April 22 and the results published the following week.

Do note that other testing is happening as well, we are also testing exhaust on an IS350, plus some other surprises.

It will all be out about a month from now.
This is awesome man - great step for the Lexus modding community

Jonny
Old 03-31-06, 02:44 PM
TeflonGS
Driver

I have the Weapon-R Secret Weapon intake. Looks good and sounds alright, but I do get the CEL. Should have done my homework before buying, but it does give me an excuse to reset my ECU every so often.