GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Tein CS vs. HA

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-01, 11:30 PM
dru
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a lot of CL members have gone w/ the Teins. From all the postings that I've read, to put it very generally, it seems that the CS is more for comfort and the HA is more for performance. However I still have a few questions that I hope you guys can help clear up:

1) What's the best price for the CS and HA's you guys have gotten for these and where (didn't RacingAristo say CS ($1500) and HA($1200) i actually thought that the HA's would be more)?

2) Can you adjust the height on these units while they're still on the car or you have to take them off?

3) What would you recommend (gs4will and manaray, i need your guys's input)?

4) Is the CS more limited in terms of height adjustment range (can't remember if I read this somewhere) ?

5) There are some fellow members who have the HKS ones, are they better? price?

6) Out of curiousity, who is the official importer of Teins?

Last edited by dru; 09-02-01 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-03-01, 12:53 AM
SilverGSguy
Pole Position

1) i have the tein-ha and the best price i found was $1200 and the tein-cs i believe is around $1500.

2)you can adjust the height of it when its on the car but you have to take your wheel off in order to do so.

3) sorry im not gs4will or manaray but basically the softest setting on a tein-ha is prob the stiffest setting on a tein-cs. so if you want comfort then go with cs, and ha if you want a stiffer ride.

4) im not sure about the cs being limited on height, but im pretty sure you prob will never adjust it to the lowest unless you want to slam it like crazy.

5) the hks ones cost around $3000 i believe, im not sure if they are better but unless you have that kind of money to spend then go with hks but i dont know if its worth it.

6) sorry, cant answer this one for you, but you can check out www.teinusa.com and maybe you'll find more info there.

hope this helps
Old 09-03-01, 01:43 AM
pia663
Driver School Candidate

I ordered a set of TEIN CS coilover from Dave (www.shinkairacing.com) with the price listed there. It takes six weeks for delivery and I'm still waiting for the part. Based on the info I looked from www.tein.co.jp, the main difference between CS and HA seems to be the spring rate and the damping force. HA has the adjustable spring rate (Ft: 10-18k, Rr: 8-14k) while CS is fixed (Ft: 9k, Rr:8k). Comparing to the stock setting (Ft: 5.4k, Rr: 6.1k ? I'm guessing from this page:

http://www.tein.co.jp/ti/comment/ct76.html

could somebody confirm, please?). This range of the spring rate probably reflects the height adjust limit as well. Also the structure of the CS seems simpler.

Last edited by pia663; 09-03-01 at 02:00 AM.
Old 09-03-01, 06:20 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

My friend (the outlaws) has the tein HA and the suspension is a bit stiffer than my H&R's but its still not like its riding on rails.

Btw: HKS costs around $3000?? Whats so special about that particular suspension??
Old 09-03-01, 10:02 AM
RacingAristo

TEIN HA $1152 shipped. TEIN CS $1504 shipped.

There is no oversea distributer for TEIN product yet.
Old 09-03-01, 10:09 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If I could add another coilover to this thread how about the H&R coilovers.. I forget the price but it is comparable to the Teins HA or CS??

Has anyone tried them on a GS??
Old 09-03-01, 10:43 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dru:

your questions were almost answered completely by most cl guys ablove

1. CS is the newer model, and costs more. RA's listed pirces are the lowest that i know.
2.like silvergsguy said, you only need to take the wheel off for adj.

3.depends on your taste, i would pick the CS model(may be i am getting old at 33 ) HA is great for the price.

4.HKS is a good piece too, the best price i know is ~$2000. so i think TEIN is quite good for the pirce.

5.for height limit adj., i need to do more research on that.

savvy,

manaray had HR coils before, i am uncertain if he is still using them. the quality is good as you know HR makes good springs, and Bilsteins supplies the shock body. but manaray mentioned something he does not like about them which i forgot. its listed pirce is $2200, and i can get it for $1650.

william
Old 09-03-01, 11:21 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Will for the input on the H&R Coilovers.. Hopefully Manaray will see this posting and give me his thoughts on this product.. Your price is pretty good.. Carparts has them for $2200 like you said..

I'll probably end up just going with L-Tuned suspension on the GS but the height adjustability might be worth the extra coin especially when winter hits here and the Mrs driving the car..
Old 09-03-01, 07:30 PM
dru
Driver

Thanks everybody for their replies, it's making my choice a little easier.

gs4will,

As I was reading about the past posts I remember manaray saying that he didn't like the H&R coilovers b/c at their lowest settings on the rear, it still left "two fingers" of gap, which he wasn't happy about. In addition, he had some "differences in opinion" w/ H&R about Jap. luxury cars and finally said "f&%@ off." Otherwise I remember him saying that he liked the units very much.

RacingAristo,

Which shop sells it for those prices, or do you have your own shop?

Right now it seems like I'm leaning towards the HA's simply b/c of price. I figure I just set them at the softest settings. If I can take my RX7 dropped about 2" all the way around on Koni's and 18s, I think I'll be able to get used to the HAs.
Old 09-03-01, 09:06 PM
RacingAristo

I ordered mine from Shinkai Racing. Because I'm the first CL member who ordered from SKR, I've recommended several members to that shop and be sure to mention you heart it from Dennis (Dave still email me asking how I like my TEIN HA). He may give you a slightly more discount. wink wink.

The only drawback from SKR is that you have to wait a relatively long time. I had waited 4 weeks for my coilovers.
Old 09-04-01, 05:48 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm, I don't even need to really respond to this thread!

What Dru said about what I said is true...why do I get this feeling that I'm being followed now?

H&R is going to correct one of the "problems" I have with the coilovers...and that's to get the rear end lower. They're working on a new spring that will start lower (which is just below stock height I believe) and go lower than the existing ones (I should be able to tuck the rear wheels)...I'm suppose to get a set free soon (which I will include when I sell my coilovers).

Dru - Personally, I would go with the CS's also...also, the HKS's HiperMax LS (30 click adjustment and like the Tein CS, these are geared to go from sport to comfort) is $1348 from Dave @ GTA...

Also, the Cusco Zero-2 are $1508 from Dave...these are "special" in that you can adjust ride height with the length of the shock body so that you don't affect spring prelaod rate like you would with the others with spring perch adjustment coilovers...(check out the image below)

And I don't recommend ShinKai...their "container deal" was no deal at all...among other things...
Attached Thumbnails Tein CS vs. HA-zeroabc.gif  
Old 09-04-01, 09:35 AM
dru
Driver

manaray,

I'm not stalking you. I went through a lot of the past postings about coilovers before I posted, figure you should do your homework, therefore I remembered what you had said. However, if the thought of a 200 lb. chinaman stalking you floats your boat, so be it then.
Old 09-04-01, 10:22 AM
HKSpowerGS4
Driver

Just and FYI

The HKS Hipermax Damper II (Newest Hiper Damper Version) has a new lower MSRP of $22450 and can be bought at about $1800 or less. I agree the kit is not the cheapest, but the quality great and you get upper pillowball mounts standard. I have the older version on my car (which was $2800 MSRP and the newer ones offer wider stiffness adjustment range and more settings for a smoother ride)

The new HKS Hipermax LS is coilover kit similar to the Hipermax Damper II in regards to a height adjustable ride height via a thread shock body and aluminum spring perches and the standard upper pillowball mounts, but does not have the 30way stiffness adjustment that the Hipermax Damper II has. MRSP is $1710.00 . If there is an interest I think this would be an additional option for ones that want or need lower cost coilover kit.

Will
Old 09-04-01, 07:01 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dru - I commend your sprit of researching before posting! I wish more users would do that!! And no, the thought of anyone (other than say...oh...Heidi Klum) stocking me does NOT float my boat!

HKSpowerGS4 - Are you sure about the non-dampening adjustability of the HiperMax LS's? Hmmmm, you might be right, I checked the website (www.hks-power.co.jp) and it doesn't mention it on the HiperMax LS page but it also doesn't mention it on the HiperMax II page either...but going by the pictures, it doesn't look like the LS has the adjustment "nut" on the top...

How do you like the HiperMax Damper II? On the softest setting, how close would you say that is to stock? Can you give a comparison to any other coilovers in terms of ride quality?

Speaking of HKS, Tamiya puts out a HKS Altezza R/C car now...nice!

http://www.tamiya.com/japan/products...za/altezza.htm
Attached Thumbnails Tein CS vs. HA-altezza_top.jpg  
Old 09-04-01, 09:59 PM
HKSpowerGS4
Driver

I am sure about the non-adjustable dampening of the Hipermax LS. I will have a set here soon to double check. If you check further on HKS japan's site it will indicate that the 30 way stiffness adjustment is only on the Hipermax II and the Pro.

Acutally there isnt an "adjustment nut" at the top. the kit comes with a special dial too that allows easy adjustment of the stiffness. What is really nice is the adjustment too for the rear. Instead of pulling back the carpet liner to adjust the stiness via the dial. The kit comes with 2 extra "dials" and a flexible extension peice that, with a small slit in the carpet liner, offers mounting of the dial for easy/quick adjustments on each side. I can get a pics if you need to get a better idea.

If you are interested in the R/C car...let me know..I can get some..

Will