GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS300 stock key remote control HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-06, 07:52 PM
amaghazi
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default GS300 stock key remote control HELP

SO my key wireless remote control has been fine but is doing a weird thing lately:

when I press unlock, it unlocks all the doors EXCEPT the driver's door! I have to unlock the door manually! When I press "LOCK", it locks all the doors EXCEPT the driver's door! and I have to lock it manually as well!

ANy ideas?

-J
Old 03-31-06, 08:24 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Well, first of all, it sounds like your driver's door lock actuator is broken and you'll need to replace it.

As to why all other doors unlock when you hit the unlock button on the remote (and I assume you mean that they all unlock by just hitting the unlock button on the remote once as opposed to twice consecutively), I think I know why. I'd have to check this, but because your driver's door lock actuator is broken, I think you car believes that the driver's door is unlocked (even when it's locked manually), and, therefore, when you hit the unlock button on the remote, it unlocks all of the other doors.

Here's why I think this. Bear with me for a second. Normally, if you're using the automatic headlight feature at night, when you exit your car, you press the remote once to lock all doors and then quickly a second time to turn off the headlights. A few weeks back I learned that you could trick the car into turning off the headlights when you press the lock button on the remote for the first time by simply manually locking your driver's door. Even if all of the other doors are unlocked, if you manually lock your driver's door, the headlights will turn off on the first press of the lock button on the remote. This leads me to believe that some of the car's features are tied electronically to the status of the driver's door lock. I'd have to go check on my car, but I wonder what would happen I pressed the unlock button on the remote once with my driver's door lock open. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling it would open the remaining locks.

Anyway, my point is that I think once you replace your driver's door lock actuator, it will solve all of your problems.

Last edited by e-man; 03-31-06 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-01-06, 10:36 AM
amaghazi
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thanks e-man.
How much would that cost? and what do u think broke it?

J
Old 04-01-06, 11:24 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Check with Darrel Diller at lexus-parts.com (Sewell Lexus) for a price on the actuator. Also, I seem to recall there being a group buy on these things. I want to see that they are around $200 a piece, but I can't remember for sure. I do know that they are "door specific", so make sure you get the one for the driver's door. As for installing it, I've taken apart the door panels many times (they are not hard to get off), but I've never had to take off the actuator. I know there are some members who have done this job themselves, so maybe someone will chime in. Do a search for "gs door lock actuator" and you'll find a lot of information.