GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Newly L-Tuned GS300 is TERRIFIC

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-01 | 03:38 PM
BezerkeleyLex
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Just got my new 2001 GS300 L-Tuned this weekend and what a difference it makes. First, thanks to all the folks at clublexus.com who preceded me in this endeavor and shared their experiences. I wouldn't have known about the options without you. My dealer certainly isn't clued in.

For those of you considering minor modifications, here's my experience. As background, I just retired a 98 BMW 528i with sport suspension and, while I love the GS (my second Lexus), I did not think the steering/handling was anywhere close to the BMW standard. Unlike many of the ClubLexus folks, I bought the parts through my local Lexus dealer. The difference (over Carson Toyota in LA) worked out to about $30 after shipping charges were included, so I figured it was easier to buy them locally in case I had any issues.

Step 1 (Thursday 8/31) - Dealer installed new steering EUC. Others have said it is a subtle change, but I found it to be pretty significant. The steering is much lighter and seems much faster, even though I think it's just the reduced effort. With no suspension or tire changes it made a world of difference.

Step 2 (Friday 9/1) Local tire/suspension shop (where I bought new tires) installed the L-Tuned springs and shocks. Initially I found the difference to be somewhat subtle. Driving normally, around town, the only indication something had changed was if I went through a serious pothole or hit a speed bump. The floatiness was gone. One bounce and the suspension stopped. I quickly learned that speed bumps are a bit less forgiving with the tighter suspension parts. Out on the twisties, at speed, the difference is easier to feel. The car feels much tighter, not just up and down but it seemed like there was less body roll in tight corners as well. The real news is that the impact on the comfort of the ride is insignificant. Yes, there's a penalty on really rough roads, maybe 15%, but in normal driving and on freeways at speed I really can't tell it's not stock. Combined with the steering ECU I was sure I could turn this into a handler.

Step 3 (Saturday 9/2) New tires. I chose to stay with the 16" stock wheels to see if I could be satisfied with the handling and keep the good ride characteristics if the tires were better (the original tires were 215/60-16 Bridgestone Turanza ER30s - an ok touring tire, but not one you'd want to bet your life on if you are traveling fast on mountain roads). I chose Firestones (no laughing now ). I would never have even considered a Firestone except I read glowing reports by actual buyers at TireRack (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/firestone/fs_sz50_ep.jsp). The writers said the SZ50s were terrific in dry and wet handling and had low noise and high comfort too. Plus Firestone has a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like them; so how could I lose? I went up just slightly to 225/55-16s, fully prepared to upgrade to 17"; wheels if I wasn't satisfied. These tires are every bit as good as other buyers said. Even brand new they are like glue on the road (haven't tried them in rain yet) and are quieter and smoother than the OEM Bridgestones. Plus they are rated 340 in treadwear, so they may last a couple of years. They still feel a bit soft, (I guess it's the amount of sidewall in the 16" size), but that results in a comfortable ride in almost every environment. You gotta make tradeoffs someplace.

Step 4 (Sunday 9/3) The test - 200 miles up and back from San Francisco to Timber Cove on the Northern California coast, early AM before anyone else was on the road. This is 100% twisties hugging the coastline, a road I've driven dozens of times in other cars and on motorcycles. The GS3 loved it. I'm still developing a feel for the car, so I didn't go too nuts, but 70+ MPH curves were no big deal. Where the steering or my skills failed me, the tires just hung in and went around the corner unfazed. The last leg, 50 miles of highway coming back, was uneventful. By that I mean the car road as quiet and comfortable as stock; maybe better. I think I'll grow to love these tires.

To sum it up, the L-Tuned upgrades are a bargain. Anyone who wants a GS that handles better, but doesn't want to get into major modifications, can't go wrong with these suspension fixes. And being that they are Lexus approved, your warranty isn't impacted. My total cost was about $750 for the L-Tuned parts, $150 to have Lexus install the ECU (I'm a klutz and would not risk taking my dash apart myself), $360 to install the springs/struts and $800 for the tires and a 4-wheel alignment. Total cost about $2150 for what is now a great handling car. I may yet upgrade to 17" wheels when I need my next set of tires, but for now these modifications are a HUGE improvement.

Is it a BMW beater? Probably not. I think it handles (hold the road) as well, but the BMW steering is much more communicative and intuitive. But from my prior Lexus and Beemer experiences I know I have the better car and the better franchise and the current handling capabilities of the GS3 probably already exceed my skills.
Old 09-03-01 | 03:57 PM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Bezerkeley,

thanks for the review... I was actually considering upgrading to the L-tuned parts.. but current lack of funds prohibits me from doing so... I might just go totally aftermarket when my warranty is over but who knows...

I was under the impression that the Steering ecu was supposed to make the steering MORE heavy, responsive, less caddilac more BMW like... are you sure you got the correct ecu?

~manny
Old 09-03-01 | 04:07 PM
BezerkeleyLex
Driver School Candidate

Default L-Tuned ECU

From what I had read in my searches, and my experience, it lightens up the steering. I wouldn't call the before or after BMW like (I have no Caddy experience to compare to). Coming out of a 528 with 17" wheels I thought the Beemer steering was light, responsive and communicative. I found the stock GS300 ECU very heavy, especially in hard corners - a solid two-handed approach was required. Now I can easily one-hand through any corner, but it's not so light that it gets away from you (ala Buick or Chevy).

Before buying the GS I test drove Audi, Acura and MB and I think the Tunbed ECU feel is as good or better than any of those...but still not the equal of a BMW.
Old 09-04-01 | 12:38 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

BezerkeleyLex,

Great evaluation of the L-tuned shocks, springs and ECU.. If I could add one thing thou.. You mentioned your warranty isn't impacted by buying the L-tuned parts.. This is only true if your dealer does the installation.. So you would be fine with the ECU but not the shocks or springs.. Not that I see anything going wrong with them.. This is just so you know..

You evaluation has helped alot in my decision making process.. The GS I am driving at the moment is passing off to my wife in a few weeks but on occasion I will be driving it too.. Factory suspension is just to jacked up for my taste and like you I like running my car through the twisties every so often but I was afraid of the ride being really rough and thus complaints from the better half..

Thanks again for your thoughts and WELCOME to ClubLexus!!
Old 09-04-01 | 12:03 PM
2k1GS3
Rookie

Bezerkley--can you tell us what dealer you are using and where you had your L-tuned suspension done? I am definitedly considering L-tuned, but was afraid it might be still to soft for my tastes. I did the steering ECU and feel like the diffence is pretty subtle.

Would really like to clear up what I consider to be a loose ride now and be able to make flatter turns.

Are you in the east bay? Would love to check out your ride.
Old 09-19-01 | 09:52 PM
BezerkeleyLex
Driver School Candidate

2K1GS3, I'm in Berkeley. I had the steering ECU put in by Pleasanton Lexus and got the shocks and springs installed at AutoOptions in Berkeley, along with new tires.

If you're interested in a ride begfore you upgrade, I'm sure we can work out a time and place. The ride is now controlled, but not what I would call especially firm. But I also kept the 16 inch rim so it wouldn't get too stiff. If you got the same Bridgestone touring tires I did, that could be a big part of the problem.

Contact me at r1630@home.com
Old 09-19-01 | 10:07 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

If you Bay Area guys want to be added to the area roster, pls PM me your info; name, email, model & year, hometown. I'll keep you guys abreast of ClubLexus events.

Welcome to CL.