GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

recently installed m4's for day time running lights. had a question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-01, 10:42 PM
Mayur Patel
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i recently installed the m4's for the day time running lamps. to my attention, during the day the high beams were running as day time running lamps and not the m4's. but at night the m4's work fine. is this normal??? please advice. thanks

mayur
Old 09-03-01, 11:15 PM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

The daytime running lights (DRLs) have ALWAYS been the hi-beam bulbs running at low power. The M4 wedge bulbs you installed only turn on when you turn the lighting stalk atleast once.

So yes, your situation is PERFECTLY normal. I guess you were just expecting something to happen that changing the bulbs couldn't fix.

But atleast it looks nice at night
Old 09-04-01, 06:50 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This must be a difference in years because my wedge bulbs are my DRLs, not my high beams, and they will only come on when tunring the light stalk to one click...

As a side question - why would there even be wedge bulbs if the high beams on low power server as DRLs?

Maybe its a '00 thing, but this doesn't seem to make sense - The DRLs are always on as low power high beams, but if you turn the light stalk to one click, the DRLs come on as wedge bulb and the high beams turn off?

Whatever works
Old 09-04-01, 07:10 AM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Dexter,
You have DRLs on a 98?? I had a 98 and if I recall correctly, DRLs were put on 99+ with a few guys being lucky and receiving early model 99's with no DRLs. But what Intellexual described is how they work on the GS's with DRLs. I just leave my lights on all the time and have the lights go off when I shut my car off and open the driver's door. One less switch I touch or forget to touch, plus I don't have to drive with the DRLs which I personally hate.
Old 09-04-01, 07:21 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GS430 GUY

Dexter,
You have DRLs on a 98??

Yyyyyeppp

Attached Thumbnails recently installed m4's for day time running lights. had a question-passenger-side-m6-in-housing-wo-flash.jpg  
Old 09-04-01, 07:30 AM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

Your 98 Gs doesn't have DRL's. That's just a running light and its not meant to be "on" while driving during the daytime. DRL came on the 99-up lexus and they turn on automatically whenever you start the car. When you turn the headlights on, the DRL's turn off. If you want, you can install an 18 watt wedge bulb and it will be a lot brighter.
By the way, I have yet to find a wedge bulb that matches my HID's color. Anyone heard of anything new on the market?
Old 09-04-01, 07:45 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Those aren't DRL's

Dexter,

forgive me for doubting you (you know your car best), but I'm pretty sure those aren't DRL's. Those are the parking/running lights that come on when your headlights are on, or if you turn the stalk once. The DRL's were actually built in as part of the high beam - but running at low power. The only way (I think) you could have DRL's is if your car was Canadian.
Old 09-04-01, 07:51 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by gs4to4

Your 98 Gs doesn't have DRL's. That's just a running light and its not meant to be "on" while driving during the daytime.

I guess its a difference in terms then - I leave my light stalk to one click and they are always on; they are a 'running light' that is on during the 'daytime'

Originally posted by gs4to4

If you want, you can install an 18 watt wedge bulb and it will be a lot brighter.
By the way, I have yet to find a wedge bulb that matches my HID's color.

See here:

https://www.clublexus.com/vb/showthr...threadid=20132

I used Polarg M6s (18w), and they are pretty close to HIDs, IMHO of course

I love the output

Sorry for the confusion guys! I 'always' called them DRLs.
Old 09-04-01, 07:55 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Johnny,

You beat me to my corrective post!

You hit it right on the head...

But this still puzzles me why there would even be wedge bulbs on later models??? There are high beams, so what's the purpose?

This may be a question / topic for another thread.....

Thanks all for straightening me out.

Later
Old 09-04-01, 10:01 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reason for running lights

The reason we have running lights is so that in the event a headlight goes out, other motorists will be able to identify the out portion of an oncoming vehicle (so it doesn't look like a motorcycle coming down the road). It would be very unlikey that your headlight and running light would be out at the same time. The reason its a wedge is because they didn't have the low voltage technology in place yet for the DRL's on the existing Hi-beam, so they used a wedge to run a 5 watt bulb.
Additionally, they may be used in extreme fog, when your headlights will cause too much glare off the fog. (although not many manufacturers allow your fogs to be used solely with running lights, MB does usually you can just place a jumper wire in the harness to make other cars work, but the DOT law is to only allow fogs or auxillary bulbs to be on with the low beam headlight only.) On a side note the new MB uses their version of C-BEST to switchover to the running light if a turn signal bulb fails - pretty cool
Old 09-04-01, 10:09 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Reason for running lights

Good info, thanks