GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: ** JP Style Tails, does the bulb out light bother you?? **
I wont purchase them
49.06%
Who cares
50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

** JP Style Tails, does the bulb out light bother you?? **

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-06, 09:30 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
.EVERYONE

Please read my review. I spent over an hour writing it up.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...4&page=5&pp=15

Please spend a few minutes to skim through it.

Problems solved .

The answers are there. .
Le me quote u in case someone misses that. Thanks for the write-up
Old 04-03-06, 09:42 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

If I wanted the tails it wouldnt bother me at all to pop the bulb behind the gauge cluster. But Im just not feeling the tails. I wouldnt mind slapping the support group that ok'd the huge clear section on the tails.
Old 04-03-06, 09:53 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

personally it would bother me. Having that light light in your face all the time would really be annoying.... and taking the bulb out would be the best fix but still.... its in back of your mind...

however for the price justification..... well worth it!
Old 04-03-06, 10:38 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UptownGS
personally it would bother me. Having that light light in your face all the time would really be annoying.... and taking the bulb out would be the best fix but still.... its in back of your mind...

however for the price justification..... well worth it!

Please read here for my additional response to your comments: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...16#post1817116
Old 04-03-06, 10:41 PM
RMMGS4

.EVERYONE

Please read my review. I spent over an hour writing it up.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...4&page=5&pp=15

Please spend a few minutes to skim through it.

Problems solved .

The answers are there. .

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Le me quote u in case someone misses that. Thanks for the write-up

Thanks SICK. I just posted 2 more follow up reviews here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...16#post1817116
Old 04-04-06, 12:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexbox
If I wanted the tails it wouldnt bother me at all to pop the bulb behind the gauge cluster. But Im just not feeling the tails. I wouldnt mind slapping the support group that ok'd the huge clear section on the tails.
well have you seen the updated pics glen put up with the red tape around the edges? it's still thicker than the jp, but imho it looks a lot better. glen and i actually talked about all these yesterday nights in my garage (that's where we did all the comparison between these and the jp taillights), and i think the results are very promising
Old 04-04-06, 10:33 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at the vote, I'd say the false light problem is a problem...for potential sales that is. It would definitly bother me. Seems like a flaw in the design if you ask me...then again maybe it wasn't an original requirement. I'm glad this came up. Looks like 01+ or the original JP tails for me unless there's a way to get the indicator to work with these tail lights.

Last edited by bmgs400; 04-05-06 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-04-06, 10:51 AM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by bmgs400
Looking at the vote, I'd say the false light problem is a problem...for potential sales that is. It would definitly bother me. Seems like a flaw in the design if you ask me...then again maybe it wasn't an original requirement. I'm glad this came up...I didn't know it was a problem with the JP tails too...guess neither will be on my list of mods. Looks like 01+ tails for me.
You are Highly mis-led.

Unfortunately, Steve posted this poll in such a way that people, like yourself are reading the poll at face value and voting blindly. It is obvious by your comments that you have not read any of the thread history before making your decision.

If Steve had prefaced the poll by stating that there is a simple remedy and that the only compromise is losing the "light out" warning capability, maybe this poll would turn out differently.

I think the original poll would have been better if it asked " if you were interested in purchasing these lights, would you change your mind if it meant losing the "bulb out" indicator ?".
Old 04-04-06, 11:00 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

You are Highly mis-led.

Unfortunately, Steve posted this poll in such a way that people, like yourself are reading the poll at face value and voting blindly. It is obvious by your comments that you have not read any of the thread history before making your decision.

If Steve had prefaced the poll by stating that there is a simple remedy and that the only compromise is losing the "light out" warning capability, maybe this poll would turn out differently.

I think the original poll would have been better if it asked " if you were interested in purchasing these lights, would you change your mind if it meant losing the "bulb out" indicator ?".
Understood. And yes I did read all the other posts and threads including your contribution with the red-edging mods, etc. Nice mod BTW.

Still, I would not compromise the functinality of the dummy indicator by removing the lamp or buying tails that don't meet spec other than form and fit; function ( and thats 100% )is important too. To me the dummy lamp out indicator is very important...keeps ya from getting pulled over by the man.
Old 04-04-06, 11:36 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RMMGS4 Modded WISE(JP style) Taillight

Just gotta say it again ..it looks sweet
many more will purcahse this light now

Thanks Glenn
Old 04-04-06, 12:36 PM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

I wanted to state also that the tails look very nice. And I hope my previous post didn't seem negative. I'm hoping the thread was a query into how many (members) didn't like the fact the light is constantly lit with the new tails, thus starting a serious look into a way to correct the problem. If I know more about the sensing circuit, I may be able to recommend a solution...put some of my EE experience to work. Others may have a quick solution, but I'd rather see the skematic (edit: schematic...hope some got a laugh on my southern phonetics) first....but that's most likely proprietary to Toyota.
Old 04-04-06, 12:54 PM
RMMGS4

Understood. And yes I did read all the other posts and threads including your contribution with the red-edging mods, etc. Nice mod BTW.

Still, I would not compromise the functinality of the dummy indicator by removing the lamp or buying tails that don't meet spec other than form and fit; function ( and thats 100% )is important too. To me the dummy lamp out indicator is very important...keeps ya from getting pulled over by the man.

OK no problem if it is important to you, but as I did comment, without this functionality, you may suffer from one out of three brake lights being burned out.

1. You still have the other two working of which hopefully you will be made aware of a light out in a reasonable amount of time.

2. Way more than half the cars on the road do not have a lamp out indicator.

3. Being pulled over by the man is just a fix-it ticket where I lve so no monetary impact.

4. A low tire pressure monitor is to me 10 times more important to know than if a light is burned out. Some Lexus models offer the feature but the GS does not. How important was it for you to give up that feature not coming standard on a GS?

I'm just here to rationalize what the trade off is of the loss of this feature. And as you see my opinion is it's not a big deal.

Everyone has different priorities, but I just want to make sure decisions are made using a little common sense.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 04-04-06 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-04-06, 01:06 PM
RMMGS4

I wanted to state also that the tails look very nice. And I hope my previous post didn't seem negative. I'm hoping the thread was a query into how many (members) didn't like the fact the light is constantly lit with the new tails, thus starting a serious look into a way to correct the problem. If I know more about the sensing circuit, I may be able to recommend a solution...put some of my EE experience to work. Others may have a quick solution, but I'd rather see the skematic (edit: schematic...hope some got a laugh on my southern phonetics) first....but that's most likely proprietary to Toyota.
Your comments are appreciated. Constructive criticisim is all good.

There are ways to resolve this electrically, just not that feasible to make it worth it. . The current draw on the LEDs doesn't match what is sensed buy the ECU. If you simulate the resistive load of the original bulb, the indicator will not trigger. You can devise a small transistor sized relay circuit to be triggered by the LED so that if the bulb dies, the relay will open the circuit to the resistive load, causing the ECU to trigger.

The problem lies in the fact that you are now dealing with 30+ LED bulbs that can now individually burn out. In order to build this circuitty to tell us that any one of the bulbs were out, it means that we would need to build up a parallel circuit 30+ times , one for each bulb. That's a lot of work time and parts. It's just not practical.

Off topic question. What's FFL champion?
Old 04-04-06, 01:09 PM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

OK no problem if it is important to you, but as I did comment, without this functionality, you may suffer from one out of three brake lights being burned out.

1. You still have the other two working of which hopefully you will be made aware of a light out in a reasonable amount of time.

2. Way more than half the cars on the road do not have a lamp out indicator.

3. Being pulled over by the man is just a fix-it ticket where I lve so no monetary impact.

4. A low tire pressure monitor is to me 10 times more important to know than if a light is burned out. Some Lexus models offer the feature but the GS does not. How important was it for you to give up that feature not coming standard on a GS?

I'm just here to rationalize what the trade off is of the loss of this feature. And as you see my opinion is it's not a big deal.

Everyone has different priorities, but I just want to emake sure decisions are made using a little common sense.
Yep, I agree. Tire pressure I check weekly and daily I briefly check wheels and tires. I think one more important requirement with the dummy indicator, is safety. The sooner you know a light is out, the sooner it's fixed and that may be the difference in avoiding a rear-end collision from the chick putting on makeup while talking on the cell phone.
Old 04-04-06, 03:16 PM
RMMGS4

Yep, I agree. Tire pressure I check weekly and daily I briefly check wheels and tires. I think one more important requirement with the dummy indicator, is safety. The sooner you know a light is out, the sooner it's fixed and that may be the difference in avoiding a rear-end collision from the chick putting on makeup while talking on the cell phone.

Ok

I think we agree to dis-agree.

Quick Reply: ** JP Style Tails, does the bulb out light bother you?? **