GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: ** JP Style Tails, does the bulb out light bother you?? **
I wont purchase them
49.06%
Who cares
50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

** JP Style Tails, does the bulb out light bother you?? **

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-06, 07:58 PM
SBMGS4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4

Off topic question. What's FFL champion?

I'm guessing fantasy football league???
Old 04-04-06, 11:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bmgs400
Understood. And yes I did read all the other posts and threads including your contribution with the red-edging mods, etc. Nice mod BTW.

Still, I would not compromise the functinality of the dummy indicator by removing the lamp or buying tails that don't meet spec other than form and fit; function ( and thats 100% )is important too. To me the dummy lamp out indicator is very important...keeps ya from getting pulled over by the man.
i'd just want to make sure.... the jp taillights do NOT trigger any warning light on the dash....... that's as wrong as anyone could possibly get.
Old 04-05-06, 06:15 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
i'd just want to make sure.... the jp taillights do NOT trigger any warning light on the dash....... that's as wrong as anyone could possibly get.
Is that true?? My bad...I'll edit my posts and take JP off. Thanks for the correction.
Old 04-05-06, 06:18 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SBMGS4
I'm guessing fantasy football league???
Fantasy Football League (FFL)
Old 04-05-06, 06:31 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RMMGS4

Ok

I think we agree to dis-agree.

It's all good. Other members like myself need to know the facts before diving into a mod.

Thanks for the knowledge base!
Old 04-05-06, 09:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bmgs400
Is that true?? My bad...I'll edit my posts and take JP off. Thanks for the correction.
nah it's all cool

the key is the understand why the dash warning light comes on. it has nothing to do with the clear part actually. it has to do with the led for the parking light and the brake light portion (of the wise taillights). led draws different amount of current than normal bulbs, something the ecu tracks to determine if some bulbs are "burned". that's why with the wise taillights (with leds) the car ecu thinks that some bulbs in the back are burned and give you a warning light on the dash

jp taillights are almost as stock as you can ask for, except the amber lens changed to clear. so you get absolutely nothing on the dash
Old 04-05-06, 11:29 AM
garbage85
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone selling their jp tail lights, let me know

Last edited by garbage85; 04-05-06 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-06-06, 11:36 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

This fascinates me.

I'll just mention that the 2GS is no longer made, by the way. The fact that anyone went to the trouble to even make these lights blows me away. Now they are here and everybody wants to go super-techno, tear them apart, and delve into possible reliability issues.

True to form, people said "I want, I want! Put me down for a set!" six months ago. I'll bet that for every ten people who inituially committed to these, only 1 actually buys them.

I, for one, have certainly spent $600 in more frivolous ways...

I feel bad for Steve and the guys at Carson who went to the trouble to get two sets and evaluate them. After all of the time & discussion, posts & hassles, etc., whatever margin they have in these things is probably pretty slim. Not a great motivator to bring new Lexus-specific products to market. No wonder the Lexus market is ignored by the aftermarket.

Either buy them, or don't. There, I said it.

-bob
Old 04-07-06, 12:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well i think it's reality, there are always a lot more talker than baller. 600 bucks is already a lot less than the 1300 bucks for the jp taillights, but i am sure it's still a lot of money for some people, especially with the value of the car depreciating so fast now.

but with that said though, i am sure that steve and carson will have no probem selling the 60 sets they have in order. i am pretty sure for the price they are still going to sell, but i am not surprised if some talkers are now backed out.

on the other hand, you have good points about people's doubt on the led, warning light, etc... i am sure a lot of people didn't think about that in the beginning. me personally i can say i voted for no coz' the warning light does bother me, and reliability is always an issue i brought up months ago when this started.

but after talking to glen (rmmgs4) today, he brought up a good point. the real question should be "for those who were interested in getting these taillights months ago, how many of them are now NOT interested in getting them because of the warning light issue"

i am not sure how the result of the vote is going to differ (in fact, i don't think it's going to be much different), but at lesat that will pass on a better message

my 2 cents
Old 04-07-06, 07:15 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sheesh.... i TOLD everyone NO on LED's.... .

anyways, I'm sure Steve w/ his experience has accounted for a realistic drop out rate when holding internet polls. There is always a drop out rate increase as prices go up and no doubt Steve knew w/ lets say 200 ppl initially saying "I want I want" he atleast calculated a 60% drop off.... personally I would think an 80% drop out rate would be more realistic for anything above $300.
Old 04-14-06, 05:46 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Just installed mine. The bulb out light only comes on when you turn on your headlights. Doesn't stand out any more than the "Headlights ON" indicator. Not a big deal considering the aesthetic improvement over my 98 tails.
Old 04-14-06, 09:40 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Darius2010
Just installed mine. The bulb out light only comes on when you turn on your headlights. Doesn't stand out any more than the "Headlights ON" indicator. Not a big deal considering the aesthetic improvement over my 98 tails.
Can you swap out the LEDs on the JPs?
Old 04-14-06, 09:40 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No
Old 04-15-06, 12:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Darius2010
it doesn't turn on when you step on the brakes?
Old 04-15-06, 01:20 PM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
it doesn't turn on when you step on the brakes?
Correction. ...and when I step on the brake.

Quick Reply: ** JP Style Tails, does the bulb out light bother you?? **