GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How Loud Is The SRT Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-06, 08:44 AM
Mr GS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You hear a refined 'roar' under moderate to full throttle. Under normal throttle it's fairly quite. Not as quite as the stock intake but not that noticeable.

Mind you it's not CARB (California Air Resource Board) approved so keep that in mind when your smog inspection is required. There are few ways to deal with this issue. PM me if you need details.

Although I've never had my car dyno'd ( with or without the intake) I can't positively validate the HP or torque gains claimed on the SRT web site or by independent CL testers.

I personally 'feel' a little more power but it just might be the wonderful roar you get from massive amounts of unbaffled air giving you that surge.

Good luck!

Old 04-07-06, 09:37 AM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like mine SRT Intake, sound wise
Power? some gains at top end. I noticed much more power during winter time with temps 30 degrees and less. I think that heat shield its joke. Metal Piping is another issue i have, can you imagine 90 degrees outside with air trapped in the engine bay after 20 min. ride. SRT piping will be hot as hell also air going thru intake will be much warmer, that means no power gain, i'd rather say power loss.

I'm currently working on piping insulation, and than custom air box

So if you're concern about SRT sound, don't - why? coz you don't drive in 4K-6K RPM range every time you're behind steering wheel

Oh, and my gas milage got better, when i drive resonable

Last edited by LEXSOOS; 04-07-06 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-07-06, 09:53 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've heard and been in cars with this mod. As far as decibal level, it is not obnoxiously loud like a Foxbody Mustang. It is quieter and bearable in everyday driving and at WOT. You have a inline 6, so it should not be any louder than the V8 with SRT.
Old 04-07-06, 09:55 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LEXSOOS, please keep me updated on what you come up with....
Old 04-07-06, 10:11 AM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
LEXSOOS, please keep me updated on what you come up with....
You got it man, but it will take few weeks from now coz i have suspention/brake project coming very shortly, i'll everybody know a.s.a.p
Old 04-07-06, 10:15 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXSOOS
I like mine SRT Intake, sound wise
Power? some gains at top end. I noticed much more power during winter time with temps 30 degrees and less. I think that heat shield its joke. Metal Piping is another issue i have, can you imagine 90 degrees outside with air trapped in the engine bay after 20 min. ride. SRT piping will be hot as hell also air going thru intake will be much warmer, that means no power gain, i'd rather say power loss.

So if you're concern about SRT sound, don't - why? coz you don't drive in 4K-6K RPM range every time you're behind steering wheel

Oh, and my gas milage got better, when i drive resonable
i also agree that the heat shield is kind of a joke... if you popped your hood there was always hot air near the filter so in essence it was sucking in hot air...

i solved that problem with a $5 dryer hose from home depot - the flexible kind...i had it running from the bottom front next to the fog all the way up right to the filter so that it was receiving the air from outside... it cooled the that area significantly.. big difference....

Attached Thumbnails How Loud Is The SRT Intake?-air.jpg  

Last edited by GSoup; 04-07-06 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-07-06, 10:50 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

How did you run it down there? That whole compartment is sealed, unless you cut a big hole?
Old 04-07-06, 10:57 AM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr GS400
You hear a refined 'roar' under moderate to full throttle. Under normal throttle it's fairly quite. Not as quite as the stock intake but not that noticeable.

Mind you it's not CARB (California Air Resource Board) approved so keep that in mind when your smog inspection is required. There are few ways to deal with this issue. PM me if you need details.

Although I've never had my car dyno'd ( with or without the intake) I can't positively validate the HP or torque gains claimed on the SRT web site or by independent CL testers.

I personally 'feel' a little more power but it just might be the wonderful roar you get from massive amounts of unbaffled air giving you that surge.

Good luck!

I have gotten 3 smog checks since my SRT intake has been in stalled ALL at differnt locations. I have not had a single question about it...they smog it, no questions asked.

I installed my SRT first (nice sound, not incredibly louder until you really mash the pedal). Then I added the borla exhaust...it sounds 100% different with the combo...louder, grumblier, meatier. The SRT whistles right before the car shifts, I've had several people ask me about the supercharger...haha it's just an intake I tell them.
Old 04-07-06, 11:02 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

The best thing to do with cold air intakes is to make a custom box for it. Some guys use plexiglass, sheet metal, anything to seal out the hot air from the engine. The colder the air, the better performance you get out of the intake. Using a gutter extender will serve no purpose unless it leads to a sealed enclosure. Here is a pic of a custom job for a GS4 with an SRT intake.
Attached Thumbnails How Loud Is The SRT Intake?-intake-box1.jpg  

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 04-07-06 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-07-06, 11:18 AM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

This is a great example Dash
Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The best thing to do with cold air intakes is to make a custom box for it. Some guys use plexiglass, sheet metal, anything to seal out the hot air from the engine. The colder the air, the better performance you get out of the intake. Using a gutter extender will serve no purpose unless it leads to a sealed enclosure. Here is a pic of a custom job for a GS4 with an SRT intake.
Old 04-07-06, 11:33 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
How did you run it down there? That whole compartment is sealed, unless you cut a big hole?
no it isn't there is a gap near the headlight.... thats why i used the flexible one so that i cn manuever it around....

as far as my gutter extension.... not working...what do you think a CAI..does....it goes outside of the engine bay so it can receive colder air...

i owned the SRT and did the mod...i have proven experience that it did supply colder air to the area..was it optimal ..,.. NO, but it was better having air rushed from in front of the vehicle and from the outside of the vehicle and then have it go directly to in front of the filter than having the filter sit there and just suck up the hot air around it.

Last edited by GSoup; 04-07-06 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-07-06, 12:23 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSoup
no it isn't there is a gap near the headlight.... thats why i used the flexible one so that i cn manuever it around....

as far as my gutter extension.... not working...what do you think a CAI..does....it goes outside of the engine bay so it can receive colder air...

i owned the SRT and did the mod...i have proven experience that it did supply colder air to the area..was it optimal ..,.. NO, but it was better having air rushed from in front of the vehicle and from the outside of the vehicle and then have it go directly to in front of the filter than having the filter sit there and just suck up the hot air around it.
No pun intended. A cold air induction which I am familiar with, is a single tube getting fresh air from under the fender well or the front air dam depending on application. With a CIA there is no separation it is one long tube. Your invention consists of an extension which is not connected directly to the exisisting intake, nor is it connected to a sealed airbox. It is just like having a prop under the hood it will serve no purpose. Nothing personal.
Old 04-07-06, 12:36 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

sean..the point is to get fresh air to the area of the filter which it did..oppose to it sucking the hot air that was in the engine bay.. and that isn't always the case that its one continous long tube... if you are familiar with it then you would know if you put a bypass valve on it (ie.AEM) it isn't continous anymore yet it still does the job....

As far as the discussing this with you i'm not... like i said i ACTUALLY OWNED the srt intake and had it on my car and i know the difference it did on my car. you should remember...you saw my taillights on several occasions...
Old 04-07-06, 12:47 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSoup
sean..the point is to get fresh air to the area of the filter which it did..oppose to it sucking the hot air that was in the engine bay.. and that isn't always the case that its one continous long tube... if you are familiar with it then you would know if you put a bypass valve on it (ie.AEM) it isn't continous anymore yet it still does the job....

As far as the discussing this with you i'm not... like i said i ACTUALLY OWNED the srt intake and had it on my car and i know the difference it did on my car. you should remember...you saw my taillights on several occasions...
lol when did I see your tailights We never raced. Don't get bent out of shape, this is a constructive discussion.
Old 04-07-06, 12:48 PM
LexFather

SRT intake is not really loud unless under full throttle, and even then, its noticable but nothing bad.

Its when its coupled with an aftermarket EXHAUST, does it get louder and sound WONDERFUL!!!

Quick Reply: How Loud Is The SRT Intake?