GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How Loud Is The SRT Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-06, 10:05 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Loud Is The SRT Intake?

Just like the title says.

I would gladly take the extra hp, but I still have nightmares from how loud the intake was on my civic.
Old 04-06-06, 10:11 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkGS3
Just like the title says.

I would gladly take the extra hp, but I still have nightmares from how loud the intake was on my civic.
Dawg,

You been here waaaaaaaay too long to ask a question like that I know you searched the topic but you just wanted some more recent opinions right

It is loud, but not overwhelming. I enjoyed the sound of it. Really made the car sound great.

Jonny
Old 04-06-06, 10:24 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

the intake is loud, but it sounds great, i love the sound personally.. the "sucking" sound right before it shifts gears is so sexii and the "sucking" sound at idle is nice too... i guess it's all on personal perference.. i say go for it!
Old 04-06-06, 10:27 PM
BlkGS3
Lexus Champion

Wont the car lose some of the luxury aspect of it?
Old 04-06-06, 10:50 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

not really, mine is only loud when i get on it.. otherwise it's basically stock, same with my exhaust... my girl and everyone else loves it, they say it's the perfect balance of luxury and performance
Old 04-06-06, 11:17 PM
1wickedgs
Driver

Originally Posted by Kharizma
not really, mine is only loud when i get on it.. otherwise it's basically stock, same with my exhaust... my girl and everyone else loves it, they say it's the perfect balance of luxury and performance
I agree ever1 loves the sound of my gs with the intake and the exhaust
Old 04-06-06, 11:59 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I think it sounds awesome and its not even that loud.
Old 04-07-06, 12:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

i have heard it from both outside and inside (i drove the car). it's so loud it's not funny. i don't think it sounds that nice as well. that's mostly why i don't have intake in my car
Old 04-07-06, 05:30 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sound is one thing, but will it make the car any quicker? There are a lot of false perceptions regarding an intake upgrade.
Old 04-07-06, 06:14 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The intake is as loud as YOU want it to be. When you first install it, you're resetting the ECU so the intake is going to engage around 2500 rpms with some grumbling (still a beautiful sound) but as you drive more and more with it and the car learns your driving habits I'm finding that it only comes on now when I'm at 4000 rpms with that same grumble. But driving normal down the block the only thing you are going to hear from the intake is a little hiss (which is also a beautiful sound).

In reality, yes the intake is loud but if you are stomping on the pedal to engage the full capacity of the intake, do you care at that point? You're going for speed, not luxury at that moment.

It's all about driving patterns though, if you ease the pedal down to gradually increase speed instead of all at once the intake will still fully perform and you'd never hear it. Stomp on it and it roars.

As for the it making the car faster, that's common sense, it's an INTAKE, an upgrade over stock, thus getting more air to the engine.
Old 04-07-06, 06:49 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the SRT intake and it wasn't that loud at all, you have a gs3 not a gs4 its a lot louder and meaner on a gs4. You should be fine. I have a video clip of that intake on my car with the borla exhaust if you want to hear it on a gs3 i6 engine.?
Old 04-07-06, 08:07 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

I have the intake on a GS V8, as the others have stated it definitely has a growl when you ask it to go. I also agree with the other poster about driving habits. It can growl constantly or it be almost as quiet as stock. It all depends on how you drive your car.
Old 04-07-06, 08:14 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
i have heard it from both outside and inside (i drove the car). it's so loud it's not funny. i don't think it sounds that nice as well. that's mostly why i don't have intake in my car
Gee, reminds me of the princess and the pea kid's story.

IMO, it's quieter than an exhaust upgrade. You can hear a metallic "sucking" sound during idle which grows to a raspy growl when you get on the gas. Way cool. Most people, myself included, also have a slight whistle at higher RPM's that adds a nice texture to the sound.
Old 04-07-06, 08:29 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the intake after I had the HKS exhaust installed and it wasnt much of a difference. It make the exhaust a slightly higher pitch but nothing crazy. I thought it made it sound better. Not sure what it sounds like with stock exhaust
Old 04-07-06, 08:34 AM
salimshah

Received 1,043 Likes on 941 Posts

Since there is a concern, the right answer is to "sit in a car which has one and not just for few minutes, and determine for your self". There are other subtle issues like sound when pulling hard/normal and cruising.

I learned that the hardway after I ditched the standard exhaust for the Ltuned ones. It has been years but my sweetie reminds me of the change when ever she is angry. Fortunately she does not remain angry for long.

Salim

Quick Reply: How Loud Is The SRT Intake?