GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Ahh...TT vs SC dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-01, 02:18 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by meanboy
wow, 15k is almost the price for a used supra tt.

But it's not a Lexus.
I don't think you can get a used Supra TT for $15K. I think you'll have to add another $5 -$10K.

V300, thanks for giving us a reality check into a turbo mod.
Old 09-06-01, 02:21 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by QBranchCars

I don't think you can get a used Supra TT for $15K. I think you'll have to add another $5 -$10K.

Hey QBranch,

Thanks for uploading the Serra-Monte pics...

Brent
Old 09-06-01, 03:23 PM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Great feedback. Sorry, but I cannot comment on any smog regulations or anything close to that extent. As I mentioned before, this is mostly speculation. The best and cost effective way right now is to go with SRT.

biggie27, I would like to talk to you about couple of things. Could you just send me a blank email to mariuszjedra@hotmail.com and I will respond promptly.

v300, great info. So, are you attempting a single conversion? I would also like to touch up on couple of topics with you, so drop me an email.

Old 09-06-01, 05:04 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by QBranchCars

Key word in my post was "almost".

You can buy one for 20k, maybe, a little bit more. Then you'll have a GS and a supra tt. 540I beats your GS? Take out your lightly mod supra and whup em.
Old 09-06-01, 05:20 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

I did some checking and heres the private party purchase price according to kbb. It's for a 93 TT with 83k miles with a 94118 zip, good condition, cd, no sport roof..

1993 Toyota Supra Turbo Liftback 2D

Engine: 6-Cyl. 3.0L Turbo
Trans: 6 Speed Manual
Drive: Rear Wheel Drive
Mileage: 83,000

Buy a Used Car

Financing Quote

Insurance Quote

Warranty Quote

Pre-Purchase Inspection

Payment Calculator

Equipment
Air Conditioning
Power Steering
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Tilt Wheel
Cruise Control
AM/FM Stereo
Cassette
Compact Disc
CD Changer/Stacker
Dual Air Bags
ABS (4-Wheel)
Leather
Power Seat
Alloy Wheels

Consumer Rated Condition: Good
"Good" condition means that the vehicle is free of any major defects. The paint, body and interior have only minor (if any) blemishes, and there are no major mechanical problems. In states where rust is a problem, this should be very minimal, and a deduction should be made to correct it. The tires match and have substantial tread wear left. A clean title history. A "good" vehicle will need some reconditioning to be sold at retail; however major reconditioning should be deducted from the value. Most recent model cars owned by consumers fall into this category.

Private Party Value $14,130
Private Party value represents what you might expect to pay for a used car when purchasing from a private party. It may also represent the value you might expect to receive when selling your own used car to another private party.

Maybe, one can buy one for 15k after all. It will be an older one but one can be bought.
Old 09-07-01, 12:00 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

I just read that is just about impossible to buy a TT at KBB price so take that price and add several k more.

Old 09-07-01, 03:58 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bobcat: Yes, I DEFINITELY plan on doing a Supercharger (Stage 2, maybe just Stage 1 depending on what it's putting out). I'm not going to screw with all the work necessary to get a working turbo system on the V8. There are too many things to go wrong. Even if I had a GS300, I would do a full bore JDM 2JZ-GTE twin turbo front clip swap rather than a transplant (along with the right hand drive conversion)...and then I'd do a minor T04 twin upgrade...upping a already turbo motor is much easier and more reliable than converting a NA motor...IMO.

Supercharger: Simple bolt on with a few tubes...I could probably do the install myself.

Turbo: Well, V300 pretty much summed it up!

I think having ~350 RWHP will be enough to blow away nearly anything on the road...

Seriously, if you want a thrilling speed ride, get yourself a GSXR-1000 for $11,000. It'll go from 0-180 faster than most cars can do 0-60......Let's see ANY Lexus do that...
Old 09-07-01, 09:20 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Has the thread digress to pocket rockets versus cars that seat four and can provide cold air and comfort on the hottest days while going 0-60 in five seconds? I bet a heavily mod supra TT can do a number on that gsxer. But we won't even go there.

The GS3 motor has 10:5 to 1 compression. Not a good for high psi. I can see why the SRT SC has 4psi for it's SC.

Looks like anyone with a serious need for speed is going to have to swap motors to make serious HP. One tuner claimed minor changes to a supra tt will boost a supra to between 450-500 hp at the crank. And the changes are about $1,500.00.

These guys with their SC supra tt conversions must be having a ball.

I can't say how a supra tt feels compared my GS because I haven't driven one. But iI think t would be real fun rowing thru the gears down the track. Or around the track.
Old 09-07-01, 11:45 AM
v300
Lead Lap

Default Glad to share knowledge

No problem guys. Working on the car's been fun and educational. The only drawback is not being able to drive it now. But when it's done I would like to give Mo a run for his money.

MariusZ,

Yeah, my Aristo is going for a single turbo upgrade... I am without my car... again. I am also going to experiment with the infamous HKS F Con V Pro to control all aspects of the engine. What is astonishing is that the F-Con V Pro has delay and advance capabilities over the intake cam. Boy am I gitty! Send me a PM if you like to share some info.