GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Ahh...TT vs SC dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-01, 02:48 PM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys. Hope all of you had a great Labor Day weekend. I got a quick question for all of you performance maniacs. Pretty soon, I will probably be fitting my car with SRT Stage3/4 SC. However, before I proceed with it, I would like to find out your honest opinion about something. IF and I reapeat IF a Twin Turbo upgrade was possible for the GS (say HKS 2835 TT's) , generated 600RWHP+ , and cost between 15K to 20K, how many of you guys would HONESTLY be interested? I am not promoting anything nor guaranteeing anything, but rather looking for an honest opinion. This is very much speculation, but please take it seriously. Thanks.
Old 09-05-01, 03:12 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

I would do it in increments. 15K is a lot to drop on a car...

As for SC, my opinion of a desirable SC kit is to keep it as clean as possible which means roots or screw-type installed right on the heads replacing the stock manifold...clean and factory-like looking.

IMHO, If I had to go with some kind of piping, then I would prefer a turbo kit...

Maybe stage the kits. I know that if a single turbo kit was available for around 6K A LOT of people would be interested. I would be the first to sign up...

Brent
Old 09-05-01, 03:13 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Question

I've got to believe that the true number will be very small. That's a ton of $$$ for the upgrade, consider that people are wary of spending the ~4K for a stage I SRT kit.

I would go so far as to say that you'd get more people claiming they would do it until asked to back up their claims with $.

All IMHO and FWIW based on what I've seen in other car forums.

Peter

PS: I'd love to be proved wrong though!
Old 09-05-01, 05:13 PM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

...and i thought this was gonna be an Audi TT vs. SC430 discussion
Old 09-05-01, 06:20 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Like others, I would like it to be staged. 15K is a lot to drop all at once. I also agree that a single turbo offering an extra 100-150 HP at the wheels is probably sufficient for most. This would also hopefully keep the cost down.
Old 09-05-01, 07:00 PM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

I too agree that 15K is quite a bit of money, but I'm sure you guys know that the TT turbo kit from HKS is about 8K alone. Couple that with two wastegates, fuel line upgrade, and we're easily in double digits. Not to mention lots of other things which might come into play such as tranny upgrade, pistons, etc....Also, I'm sure I am VERY conrvative when I say 600rwhp+ Top all of that with some R&D spending cash ecorporating several relocations, custom piping, and possibly hood alteration.........and we're up there really quick (not even taking into consideration profit margins).

I PERFECTLY understand what you guys mean about a single. Just take a look at all those damn supras running around with 600RWHP+ from singles. Also, I knew that there wouldn't be many owners willing to spend the $15K. That's why this is a feedback thread. Although I too would like to be proven wrong. So, let me quickly re-word the thread.........

How many of you guys would be interested in a SINGLE TURBO upgrade if possible. The kit would run around 8K. The power output would be somewhere around 450-500rwhp.

I'm getting tired of saying it over and over again, but keep in mind this is mostly speculation, however, honest opinion counts.

Last edited by Mariusz; 09-05-01 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-05-01, 09:16 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

A single turbo kit for 8K including all the trimmings I WOULD buy...

Brent
Old 09-05-01, 10:32 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive been working with a Turbo shop here in seattle were trying to get a single aroedyne turbo installed on my GS400 right now weve been having alot of problems trying to figure out the fuel mapping and stuff but hopefully well get it right but Im going to be running around 14psi of boost and Im hoping 500RWHP but let me tell you this much its alot cheaper than 8k
Old 09-06-01, 04:59 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$8K is not bad for that type of power gain...But does that include installation or is that just the parts? How about the tranny? Won't the tranny need to be upgraded?

Personally, I would be want a +120 to +177 RWHP setup for like $6K or less...do-able?

Old 09-06-01, 07:01 AM
JacobT

How is it possible for a single turbo for a V8 engine. The only place you can place the big single turbo is under the car where all exhaust pipes merged into a single pipe. Otherwise, you need to re-work all headers and exhaust pipes to the air-box location and place the big turbo there which I really doubt anyone would do it. I'd say all V6 or V8 engines need two turbos one on each side.
Old 09-06-01, 08:27 AM
Bobcat
Pole Position

Manaray:

I thought you were planning on a Stage 2 SC from Mo. Are you still serious about that? If you are, how long do you realistically think it will be before the work commences? 3 months? 6 months?

Just curious.
Old 09-06-01, 09:55 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

How about smog? Will the shop doing the custom install be able to guarantee smog compliance?
Old 09-06-01, 10:36 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be interested in a single for a GS 300 in about a years time. That's if I can find a good GS.
Old 09-06-01, 11:18 AM
v300
Lead Lap

Default 15K possibly a good deal!

MariusZ,

Let me help you a bit for I've spent $$,$$$ on my car already in terms of performance... and guess what I'm not done yet. Ouch! I think 15K for making a GS single/twin/tri/quad turbo ready is not too much to ask for... really.

Hypothetically, lets prep the car for high boost applications. First you have to lower the compression ratio. That requires a metal head gasket or two and an overhaul. IMHO I really think the pistons in the NA motors got to go. They are not designed for high boost. Get JE, Venolias, Arias forged pistons. Now your done with that, the GS's in the states are missing a fuel return system and the dinky fuel pump needs to be upgraded to something in the likes of Bosche. Oh yeah... must get a -6 stainless steel fuel line. More than likely you're going to have to relocate the AC line as well as the heater core. Once that is done we need a sub-computer to add more fuel, adjust ignition timing, map, line, degree and boost. Motec, F Con V Pro, Haltech... I suggest either HKS or Denso Iridium spark plugs in the 8 cold range. Now that's done we need the custom turbo(s) kit as well as a front mount intercooler core plus proper endtank location and piping. Again $$$$. I recommend a T04S or T61 sized turbo for auto tranny and street driving. I think the 2835 is a good setup... but I'd change the turbine housing for better street driving. BTW, powerhouse racing is doing just that for a $1000 option.

By the way, the HKS T04R, GT 2835 come complete w/ downpipe and wastegates already, but the down pipe is usless because of the firewall location. By the way the 60mm GT wastegate from the T04R is a bute!!! I like the GReddy T78 also... bang for the buck. RPS makes a decent single turbo kits as well, i.e., T61.

Now we've got to this point, we need a boost controller and a turbo timer. I'm an avid user of HKS products (EVC Pro and Turbo Timer Type-1... execellent).

Before testing, we need cooling devices such as an oil cooler, tranny cooler (by the way, you can never have too many tranny coolers for the GS). IMHO, I think the ultimate cooling device would be some type of large radiator core upgrade from a notable company such as Fluidyne. Too bad they don't make one for the GS. Currently I have a good friend in Osaka helpping me aquire parts from my wishlist. On the list is a SARD radiator core designed for the JZS 161. I just found out yesterday that damn core cost $1800... for a freakin' radiator?!?! I think I might as well get the Supra TT one and make alterations to it to add behind my GReddy core.

In the end... you're going to spend maybe a little more than $15 for a RELIABLE design yeilding 450-500 rwhp. I hope I made sense and not forget anything.
Old 09-06-01, 02:07 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

wow, 15k is almost the price for a used supra tt.

But it's not a Lexus.

Quick Reply: Ahh...TT vs SC dilemma