GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Steering pre-tensioner—how do you do it? (I searched)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-06, 08:15 PM
kswagner
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Third pic

Another pic
Attached Thumbnails -img_2094.jpg  
Old 10-27-06, 06:54 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like the mechanics of yours is similar. i.e. the outer nut and the bolt inner. Just looks like you need a wrench instead of a hex head bolt to adjust.
Old 10-27-06, 07:40 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought that seemed wrong.

sparky-the ntb guys were forcing your nut to move without loosening the lock nut because they didn't know what they were doing. that's not good. that may be why counter clockwise was having a different effect too, because everything was/is binding.

Engin Ear was just correcting a misinformed thread, I'm glad he did.
Old 10-29-06, 05:13 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

I did mine yesterday and the results are excellent. I agree the vibration was reduced to the point where I'm not sure it is there at all.

This thread probably kept me from selling my car. Thanks engin_ear and CL.
Old 10-29-06, 06:24 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^how much did you tighten it Andy? also, what'd you use to loosen the lock ring?

I was wondering if you still had vibration probs since the 18s. was part of it getting used to the road feel from the 18s?
Old 10-29-06, 07:18 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chuckb
^how much did you tighten it Andy? also, what'd you use to loosen the lock ring?

I was wondering if you still had vibration probs since the 18s. was part of it getting used to the road feel from the 18s?
I tightened it about 30 degrees. I marked it before I moved it, maybe I should shoot a photo. I went about 45 first and it wasn't returning to center really at all. It could probably go a few more degrees but I didn't want to mess with it all day. To loosen the lock ring, I bought the biggest adjustable wrench they had at Lowes. It was $30 and I'll probably end up returning it. It needs to open to between 1.75 inches and 2, so don't get one that stops at 1.5"
The problems I was having was with the 18s but it wasn't a balance issue. I had the wheels and tires road force balanced 4 times over the course of 3 weeks and the vib was still there. It had never gone away until now. What I had couldn't be confused with road feel, as much as the balance guys at the shop wanted me to believe that.

Last edited by STONER; 10-30-06 at 07:14 AM.
Old 10-29-06, 05:46 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by STONER
I tightened it about 30 degrees. I marked it before I moved it, maybe I should shoot a photo. I went about 45 first and it wasn't returning to center really at all. It could probably go a few more degrees but I didn't want to mess with it all day. To loosen the lock ring, I bought the biggest adjustable wrench they had at Lowes. It was $30 and I'll probably end up returning it. It needs to open to between 1.75 inches and 2, so don't get one that stops at 1.5"
The problems I was having was with the 18s and it had never gone away until now. What I had couldn't be described as road feel.
Glad to hear this, good work. Wow, 30 degrees is a lot, makes me wonder how loose yours was to begin with, and also makes me understand why you'd be at the point of selling it. It would be great if you could shoot a clear pic of where the final marks wound up relative to each other.
Nice to have that looseness gone now, isn't it?
Yeah, once again, I think you have to get it temporarily to the point where the steering is slightly binding up and won't return, then back it off a bit.
Old 10-29-06, 06:45 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by sparky3
On a side note, my steering wheel is not completely straight, and they showed me that my steering rack bushings were worn, which will also cause slop in the steering. I ordered Daizen replacements from one of this site's sponsors (TM Engineering) http://www.tmengineering.net and they're going to be put on next week. I've heard very good things about that replacement helping out with loose steering as well.

Good luck!
Shawn
let me know if this is DIY'able. I'm hoping I wont have to take out the steering rack, but something tells me I have to
Old 10-29-06, 06:51 PM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Here is the photo.

This is where I ended up. To tighten the bolt, I had to loosen the nut about 10-15 degrees. Any more and the nut would turn with the bolt. Your results may vary, but this could be a starting point.
BTW, my vibration is very nearly gone. I can't explain how much difference this has made.

Last edited by STONER; 10-30-06 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-29-06, 07:00 PM
kswagner
Rookie

Default Anyone know if mine is adjustable

Originally Posted by kswagner
Another pic
I guess the only real way to find out is to get down there and see if I can loosen things and adjust it - but I would like to know ahead of time if anyone has any input.
Old 10-29-06, 08:26 PM
DruMnBaSS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by engin_ear
ARE YOU PEOPLE LOSING IT? This is a thread that should have never happened. Watching guys do it at NTB??? NTB??? You've GOT to be kidding me. Grab a wrench before you post this stuff, PLEASE!!! Also use the search engine.

Check out the above threads. I spent my time documenting this clearly for everyone. The outer nut is a LOCKNUT - it is only there to keep the inner fitting from loosening up. It must be loosened the NORMAL way, by turning counterclockwise, so that the inner fitting is free to turn. The inner fitting is what you need to tighten (CLOCKWISE) to take the play out of the steering. Once this is where it needs to be (see other threads for that), the outer locknut needs to be tightened again, while holding the inner fitting still with another wrench. Once you do this, the adjustment is done and will not move.
IF YOU'VE DONE ANYTHING ELSE, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU WOUND UP WITH. You may have overtightened the fitting (can ruin your steering rack), more play than you started with, or a loose locknut that will allow the setting to move over time.
Never turn just the inner fitting before loosening the outer locknut, or turn the outer nut clockwise without holding the inner one. And always mark the original location of both with a Sharpie, so that you KNOW how much you've moved them.
This post has confused the hell out of everyone for all the wrong reasons. Steering is nothing to mess with if you don't know what you're doing. Watching doesn't count.
dude whats a steering rack?
Old 10-29-06, 08:29 PM
DruMnBaSS
Lead Lap

wow im almost slapping myself for not doing this yet..... maybe tomorrow depending how i decide to waste time .. maybe just maybe ill get to it... 8-))
Old 10-29-06, 09:17 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DruMnBaSS
dude whats a steering rack?
Try this:

http://steeringrack.com/product_info...oducts_id/4190
Old 10-31-06, 10:50 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Did I mention how good it is to have this problem solved?
Old 10-31-06, 12:53 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Btw - which way did you turn it? Clockwise or counterclockwise? There are a few threads contradicting each other.

Quick Reply: Steering pre-tensioner—how do you do it? (I searched)