GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: My cars getting some work done, should I...
Debadge everything on the deck lid
8.99%
Debadge the "Lexus" and the "GS 400" but leave the emblem on
39.89%
Don't touch a dang thing
51.12%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Debadging Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-01, 03:51 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote: maybe those who debadge what a cleaner look and aren't occupied with such trivial thoughts of 'ooohh, I don't want people to think I can't afford xyz car, so I'll take my badges off to fool them' - hogwash

maybe those who debadge don't feel the need to advertise what they drive....

That is my thinking as well.....I just want a cleaner look..no badges, no stripes, etc....I know I have a GS400, who else needs to??? Ill be happy to punch it if the hater next to me tries to flex....j/k JMO Tiny
Old 09-07-01, 04:10 PM
The Man 986
Rookie

Default residue

Hey,
I also took the badges off except the L emblem but I was wondering ....I took the glue and all that crap off but I still have a little bit of residue on the gs300 part what else should I do to take all that crap off?? I tried buffing but that really didnt help...??????
Old 09-07-01, 04:46 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe I'm biased.....you think?

Do watcha like - you're drivin it

Peace

Attached Thumbnails Debadging Revisited-no-way-i-m-biased.jpg  
Old 09-07-01, 07:07 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

use everythign you can find, that you would use on paint, Goo Gone, Bug-Tar Remover, Clay Bar, Wax, Polish, Water, Paper Towels... all of this is used.

what i did is i took ALL of my waxes/polishes/goo gone, mixed them up, and applied them, then I just scrub it really hard with Paper Towel and it comes off real good
Old 09-08-01, 03:23 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been entertaining the thought of RE-badging my car for while now...after I get the supercharger, I think I'm going to replace my GS430 with a GS300 badge...hehehehe

Think of the look on the face of the guy in his M5/E55 when they see the GS300 badge pass them... It would be even funnier if the car was stock looking....
Old 10-09-01, 11:43 PM
girvan
Rookie

Default Branding - A Dirty Little Secret

There is a multi-million dollar mind game being played here called “branding”. Car companies pay millions to get their brand established. Some of this is by free advertising in the form of logos and names on the car. You know that they have succeeded in their brain washing when people cling to the idea that the free advertising that collects polish and grunge is desirable.

You really know they have succeeded when a few people PAY to replace the grunge collecting adverts with loud gold versions (on a car where all the other detail elements are chrome).

I know what car I bought and I don’t need to tell others. I also like to decide who advertises on my car. For $500 a year, Lexus is welcome to the advertising space on my car in chrome or $5000 for gold.

All my logos went within a few days.
Old 01-04-02, 03:03 PM
fever
Lead Lap

Garnet, here's the poll that you referenced. Your car looks great, btw.
Old 01-05-02, 10:06 AM
FCobra94
Driver

Originally posted by Benny
do you drive a lexus or an avalon, why take off the lexus stuff?? people always take there badging off when there is a car model above what they are driving so people around them don't know what model they are driving .....i.e. you buy a MB S430 instead of a s500. so take the badging off and no-one knows the difference unless you look under the hood. that is just my two cents
I can see where your coming from but that picture with the Acura badges on that Geo that Dexter put up put's those type of people all in a league of their own I can't stand it when I pull up to a 6 cyl. Mustang or even GT, and they have the stock, non-Cobra wheels at least, with snakes on the fenders Like LexusRules said, it just gives a cleaner look. This is also why most show cars go as far as shaving the door handles, key holes, badges, mold the ground effect into the body, etc., etc. I'm not trying to be an @$$ or anything, it's just that the majority of the people, on this forum at least, do it to make the car have a "cleaner" look. Although, doing it in reverse would be cool. Iv'e heard stories of a fox-body mustang rolling around in stock 4 cyl. trim, down to the single exhaust pipe, with a turbo charged 351 :eek:
Old 01-28-02, 11:06 PM
98GS4_STL
Driver School Candidate

Default just my thoughts....

Here is my brain...

If you think about it, most and I emphasize most car manufacturers advertise as much as they can in a BIG way..
" advertise " on every side of the car/vehicle they can. Just think about it...
I have "debadged" all of my vehicles and that is alot more work considering you have to do the front sides and back. With Lexus, however, you simply have the option to do so on the trunk and maybe grille and I feel that they (Lexus) knows that. They (Lexus), Imo know that type of people buying the car and realize that badging everywhere might make them look desperate for advertising and even they know that they dont need it (that bad).
You either want people to know what you drive to feel better or you care more about looks and do mods to get noticed (if thats your bag)...

In the end either people know what they got whipped by or they are left guessing.. and thats all that counts on the streets IMO

to each their own
Old 01-31-02, 09:07 AM
bichkikr
Pole Position

I replaced my stock badges with the Japanese badges...the only one I left was the L in the middle of the trunk. People always come up to me and ask what an Aristo is! It's like they think it's a new model that they haven't seen before! Horay for JDM!
Old 01-31-02, 09:55 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking of debadging everything except the L's and then adding the v-8 badges from bmw on the sides what do you think?
Old 01-31-02, 10:04 AM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Mariusz has the V8 badges on the front quarter panel of his ride. Looks great IMO.
Old 01-31-02, 10:08 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does anyone have a pic?
Old 01-31-02, 09:55 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Can i buy someones word "lexus" off of them. mine got jacked and i want one. anyone wanna sell to me e-mail me a Jmai22@socal.rr.com

edit: dang this thread is old. i asked for this like 1 year ago when i first got my car. lol

Last edited by Jmai22; 02-01-03 at 01:04 AM.
Old 02-01-03, 07:35 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i personally took everything off except the L cus of my 3pc spoiler which leaves the opening for the lexus L ,mayb this might factor into your decision, what spoiler do u or will u have on your car, also just do what ever u feel, no matter what decision u take it will look hot , its a LEXUS

Quick Reply: Debadging Revisited