GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: My cars getting some work done, should I...
Debadge everything on the deck lid
8.99%
Debadge the "Lexus" and the "GS 400" but leave the emblem on
39.89%
Don't touch a dang thing
51.12%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Debadging Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-03, 10:55 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

here's a pic of my back with the 3pc spoiler with just the lexus L
Attached Thumbnails Debadging Revisited-pajaros-040.jpg  
Old 02-27-03, 09:25 PM
SpdRcr0
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally took everything off and replaced it with a JDM Aristo emblem...

now Im sure some of you are going to start up with "ricer" ... but think about it... we are driving Aristo's .. NOT the V300's, but technically besides that they are aristos...
Old 02-27-03, 09:55 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Debadge everything and most people will not even know what car you are driving... defeats the whole purpose of driving a LEXUS!!!
Old 02-28-03, 05:09 AM
cyclemax
Lead Lap

When I first got my car, the prior owner completely debadged and installed the L-tuned grille. It was quite amusing to watch people in passing cars staring at it when they drove by, talking amongst themselves, while looking back for an emblem to identify it. My g/f also thought it was cool and said it looked "mysterious" at night when you drove behind me.

I had fun doing that for a few months, but thought the back end looked kinda naked; too plain IMO. I also thought it gave off a "fresh from the collision shop" unfinished look, and sort of made the car look older. So I purchased all the emblems from Lexus but just reinstalled the "L" in the center of the trunk lid. I think it looks perfect now.

As far as image/presentation, I would still prefer to have it debadged completely, I just didn't like the look.

Last edited by cyclemax; 02-28-03 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-28-03, 08:35 AM
RI-GS4
Driver

Thumbs up Debadging

All off...replaced with LSportline Badge...
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-03, 09:31 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by KILLERGS4
Debadge everything and most people will not even know what car you are driving... defeats the whole purpose of driving a LEXUS!!!
I drive a Lexus for a lot of reasons. So others will know its a Lexus is not one of them.
Old 02-28-03, 08:07 PM
LexFather

I've been debadged for about 2 years now. I so have the 3 L-tuned stickers on my car (people ask about that). I had the GOLD KIT initially:eek: . People seem to know it's the "Bubble EYE" Lexus, I've never gotten a what is that remark?

Just a 300/400 argument. When I race people and we speak afterwards, they then say "I thought it was a 300"
Attached Thumbnails Debadging Revisited-sick2.jpg  

Last edited by LexFather; 02-28-03 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-01-03, 12:37 AM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

everyone here makes very good points.

I for one left everything stock.

But if someone would be willing to change me to all Toyota emblems that would be fine for me too.

I bought the car because I'm familiar owner of Toyota and have many friends with new and old MB, BMW, Audi, VW and I'm sorry to dissapoint they all have many more problems then the JDM cars. I bough my car 1st for reliablity 2nd for Performance.
I'm fine w/ Toyota under my hood and on my trunk lid as well.

If money was no object and i had full time to sit and wait for my car at the Dealer I would buy M5, M3, 911 and all the other crazy German rides. Time however does not permit, even if money does.
Old 09-26-03, 04:11 PM
altaf
Pole Position

I would probably have removed the Lexus and GS 400 badges if they were silver, but I just love the black chrome of the Platinum Edition badges too much!
Old 09-27-03, 09:14 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

a little off subject but when i look at my car in this pic i just can't believe thats what it looked like... soory but it looks so weird...
Old 10-01-03, 03:06 PM
RefinedGS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All i got to add is:
Who cares what others think...'just opinions anyhow.

Jus' stay true and keep it real, nvr fake.

PS. (just don't go adding a Maybach emblem to your GS)
Old 10-01-03, 06:07 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OK OK I know the thread's old

I just noticed that although I voted, I didn't post a picture. Here's my butt end with only the "L".
Attached Thumbnails Debadging Revisited-full-size-rear-3.jpg  
Old 10-09-03, 01:08 AM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

whoa....talk about bringin back old threads....i posted on the first page like a week after i got my car....and that was 2 years ago! =p
Old 10-09-03, 09:17 AM
jaysonb
Driver School Candidate

I don't ever want to debadge my car, and I respect the choice of those that do.

I don't think the badges on a car are anymore advertising than the Nike symbol on a pair of shoes.

The real advertising placed on cars are the stupid dealer licensce plate frames. I am always puzzled why so many people keep those on.

For the record, a lot of people who debadge their car are trying to give the impression of driving a higher end version of a vehicle. If nobody here does this great; but you guys are not the norm.

Also, do those of you that debadge your cars also debadge other items you have?
Things like: cell phones, televisions, and computers?

Last edited by jaysonb; 10-09-03 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-09-03, 08:58 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Beat to death – a 2 year-old topic

FYI, most of us who have debadged didn’t do it for the purpose of removing advertising – we did it because we think that the overall appearance is improved – it’s a “cleaner” look. Speaking for the “debadgers”, it differentiates us from the ordinary GS’s. If you prefer the look with the “Lexus” and “GS4--”, that’s fine, you don’t have to do anything. I’ll guarantee you that I get more compliments than owners of completely stock GS’s.

People have been “debadging” for at least 50 years – maybe longer. It used to be called “nosed and decked” and it was a real pain in the ***. Removing the offending badges, brazing up the holes, leading (beeswax and paddle), priming, sanding, painting, etc. – all in the name of a little “uniqueness”. Debadging the GS is as easy as removing the badges since they’re glued on – no holes to contend with.

And many of us (like myself) have done the “abnormal” by removing a GS4 badge so the car can be misidentified as a GS3 – go figure.

As far as debadging cellphones, televisions, and computers – that’s a pretty weak analogy. There’s a sizeable aftermarket out there furnishing body mod parts to the auto industry – all in the name of a little (or a lot) of uniqueness. I’d be interested in knowing the suppliers of aftermarket cosmetic parts to the computer and television markets – and WAIT! There is a market for those parts for the cellphone industry! Colored cases, etc.

Anyway, you’re entitled to your opinion – it’s welcome on CL even if we don’t agree.

Quick Reply: Debadging Revisited