GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How much is my car worth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-06, 06:30 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How much is my car worth?

Guys,

Was just curious as to how much I could sell my car for. Not something I plan on doing anytime soon, but just in case.

It is a 98 GS400 that is PDW with tan interior.

Exterior - L-Sportline Kit, with 2001+ Tails and the RMM Grill.
Engine/Exhaust - RMM Supercharger,with Custom Pulleys ( approx. 12psi) , Precision Industries Torque Converter, L-Tuned Exhaust, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Piping, Valve Body Upgrade, basically new 440cc RC Injectors, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, S-AFC2, AEM Uego Wideband, NGK Iridium plugs, TRD strut bar.
Suspension/Wheels - 19x9/10 AME Shallens, L-Tuned Shocks/Springs & Steering ECU, Brembo BBK up front.
Stock Parts - Nav, HID's.

The car has 116k and is in perfect condition. No scratches, dents or tears in leather.

I will be getting some new pictures of the supercharger and intercooler soon, as well as a dyno sheet with hopefully 400rwhp+.

I am not and will not be parting it out so please don't ask

So how much do you think I could sell it for if necessary?

Jonny
Old 04-12-06, 06:44 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say what ever the buyer will pay go for it but think about it this way in someone else eyes it's only a LEXUS GS with 116k on it. Someone has to know what has been done to the car to really get the vaule out of it. And we all no on here you never get what you put in you never get back. So probally parting it out would be your best bet. Rick did this a while back with his GS 430, and no one wanted it I would say in my $15K would be a starting price

Last edited by LEXUS_KID; 04-12-06 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-12-06, 06:53 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

18k max
Old 04-12-06, 09:05 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default totally depends

where you try and sell it, and what price you start at.

here 25k would be the max I think someone would pay, that knows the ups and downs of the gs.
Outside world I think 7-8k more dollars could be added to your ride. Its a nice looking car, and definately one of a kind...just not too uncommon on clublexus.
Old 04-12-06, 09:11 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

better off sell it separately... I buy your SC kt!!! and RMM grill too!!!
I will pay you 5000 for the SC and TC...sell the wheels for 2500 and you can still sell your car for 17K!!
Old 04-13-06, 01:52 AM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

black sc makes the most sence.... No one in the outside world will have all the cash to buy it all and esp for a 400whp car its Really Nice i love the wheels too but piece it off on here and you'll pretty much get all your Money back and Best kbb of your car ..

in other words ... lets see 8-10 in parts alone plus your supercharger ...if that probally More and kbb value of your car ..
Old 04-13-06, 03:36 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think at 18k someone would be getting a great GS for a great price
Old 04-13-06, 06:30 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Mods are thrown out of the window when it comes to selling a car, what a shame. Used car lot will give you book value 12k, private buyer perhaps more. Those who are late in the game can get a modded 98 GS for cheap, and don't have to do a thing to it. I'll take your car for 25k Jonny
Old 04-13-06, 06:39 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I do think it would be hard but I think if you are patient you could get what you want from her, maybe selling her on ebay or autotrader. Yes most people want a stock car but some do look for modded cars especially when they are clean, no fake kits for lexani wheels. You have top notch quality parts. I say when you are ready(I hope yo don't) but when you feel it time to sell try to sell car as whole with patience you might get what you want. I personally feel the car is worth close to 30k. But i think you should get around 26k if you part it out and thats low balling everything..
Old 04-13-06, 07:11 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bluelex
I personally feel the car is worth close to 30k. But i think you should get around 26k if you part it out and thats low balling everything..
I am glad someone see's a worthwhile figure in there. If it wasn't for you and Dashocker I may have started getting worried

Thanks guys,
Jonny
Old 04-13-06, 07:20 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
I am glad someone see's a worthwhile figure in there. If it wasn't for you and Dashocker I may have started getting worried

Thanks guys,
Jonny
I really hink the car is worth more than 30k but like I said i was low balling everything. Most people say that parting out is more money made but I think you might come across someone who will appreciate all the work,labor, paint, and imagination that went into this project. Plus parting out means you have to spend money taking everything off and putting back stock parts.
Old 04-13-06, 07:30 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,403 Posts

I think it may be worth that as well, but you'll have a very very hard time finding the right person to buy it for that. It really takes a person who
1) wants that model car
2) knows they're going to heavily mod it
3) understands the savings they're getting by buying it already done
4) has the capital to 'buy it now' rather than doing it over time

That's a lot of criteria...I've seen modded cars sit in the classifieds for months with no serious buyers.

If / when I sell mine (to buy that LS600hL ) I'll probably advertise selling the supercharger first with the condition that we set up with a tuner (SRT in MD or a shop in ATL) where I'll meet the prospective buyer and we can get a two-fer deal with the tuner removing the RMM SC from my car and installing it with the buyer, trading some parts like injectors... which is what I did when I bought mine from TTurbopimp.
Old 04-13-06, 08:32 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I think it may be worth that as well, but you'll have a very very hard time finding the right person to buy it for that. It really takes a person who
1) wants that model car
2) knows they're going to heavily mod it
3) understands the savings they're getting by buying it already done
4) has the capital to 'buy it now' rather than doing it over time

That's a lot of criteria...I've seen modded cars sit in the classifieds for months with no serious buyers.

If / when I sell mine (to buy that LS600hL ) I'll probably advertise selling the supercharger first with the condition that we set up with a tuner (SRT in MD or a shop in ATL) where I'll meet the prospective buyer and we can get a two-fer deal with the tuner removing the RMM SC from my car and installing it with the buyer, trading some parts like injectors... which is what I did when I bought mine from TTurbopimp.
Thx Dave Well hopefully the time won't come where I need to sell her - but it is good to have an approximate figure to work with.

Thank you everyone who responded.

jonny
Old 04-13-06, 10:57 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah it is a bummer to see how little you can recoup. Everyone is looking for a bargin but it seems a bit absurd. I thought about getting rid of my GS and put out some feelers and the best response I got was $18K. In the grand scheme of things there is nothing wrong with my car so I'll just keep holding on to it rather than "lose" that kind of money.

I too am not interested in parting the car out though just the SC, as Dave suggests, also makes some sense. It's just amazing to me that even this far down the road someone would pay $34K for an M5 with the same amount of miles (45K) and only $18K for a car that is basically all done and could run with or put the 5 on the trailer.

I'm glad I've gotten my enjoyment out of the car and am not forced to sell it or hate what I've done with it because otherwise it would have been a complete waste of money. As it is I'm simply living with it longer than anticipated but I will probably never do anything so extreme to any future car I buy unless I'm already retired.

jonny: I think you are right on. IMO: You should ask for at least $25K and as mentioned 28-30K might not be out of the question but alas I fear the market will pretty much not bear that price.

My $0.02.
Old 04-13-06, 11:01 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

and don't forget I am first in line if you are selling the SC kit!!

Quick Reply: How much is my car worth?