GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Transmission problem????

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-06 | 04:03 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Default Transmission problem????

Well....here is what the car is doing and it's not a huge deal at this point but was curious if anyone else has had this happen.

On occasion my car won't go into overdrive (5th gear)....it just hangs in fourth till I move the shifter to 4th then immediatly back to "D". It doesnt happen all the time....Just every couple of days. Then it will be OK for the rest of my drive.

The car shifts perfect and fine....no clunks or odd noises. Is there some sort of sensor that is near the shifter or something that isn't allowing it to go into 5th??? Any ideas????

Old 04-13-06 | 04:16 PM
tam4G63
Driver

First thing first, check the trans fluid, make sure it isnt burnt or dirty. Try changing the tranny fluid, I recommend using Redline ATF.
Old 04-13-06 | 04:18 PM
GS42NV
Pole Position
CL Folding 25,000

hmmm ... i'd say try resetting the ECU. i know you just got the car back and its probably already been reset due to the work which has been completed, but thats the first thing that comes into mind.

is this happening on the hwy with like 80+ mph, or just around the city. cuz if the RPM isnt running high, then maybe the ECU is just learning your driving habits.

give it a lil time, it just might go away with you driving it around.
Old 04-13-06 | 04:28 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexus_gs4
hmmm ... i'd say try resetting the ECU. i know you just got the car back and its probably already been reset due to the work which has been completed, but thats the first thing that comes into mind.

is this happening on the hwy with like 80+ mph, or just around the city. cuz if the RPM isnt running high, then maybe the ECU is just learning your driving habits.

give it a lil time, it just might go away with you driving it around.
I've been driving around for 2 weeks now since the battery was disconnected so Ive driven a good 500 miles already.

It just happens after the car is well warmed up....there is no set time when it would happen. Just a normal 0 to ??? mph where it would shift into OD.

I wouldn't think the 3.76 LSD would have anything to do with it cause the tranny wasn't touched at all. Just changing the rear wouldn't cause this...................I think
Old 04-13-06 | 04:29 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tam4G63
First thing first, check the trans fluid, make sure it isnt burnt or dirty. Try changing the tranny fluid, I recommend using Redline ATF.
I usually do a drain and fill every oil change but I will check the level.....just to make sure......good tip
Old 04-13-06 | 06:12 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

I also noticed today that I have lost about 3-4 mpg this last tankful.......anyone????
Old 04-13-06 | 07:27 PM
asci01
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AZDesertGS
I also noticed today that I have lost about 3-4 mpg this last tankful.......anyone????

That would make sense since you are driving at a higher RPM in 4th gear.
Old 04-13-06 | 07:57 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Im not driving in 4th...............only once in awhile it wont shift into overdrive so I put in 4th then slap it back in D and it shifts fine after that for the rest of my drive.
Old 04-13-06 | 08:06 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

did it do it before it got hit?
I have heard of the 3.76 gears causing this before......
Old 04-13-06 | 09:21 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chuckb
did it do it before it got hit?
I have heard of the 3.76 gears causing this before......

Didnt do it before the 3.76 LSD.................I dont know how that would cause this......I hate intermittent problems. I may have someone look at it tomorrow.
Old 04-14-06 | 05:48 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Didnt do it before the 3.76 LSD.................I dont know how that would cause this......I hate intermittent problems. I may have someone look at it tomorrow.
That occurs at times with the Supra LSD., that is why went with the TRD LSD because I am **** about jerkiness in the drivetrain. You do get better peformance with 3.76 than the 3.26. Are you using the correct gear lube Alex? You have to use a gearlube formulated for LSD's.
Old 04-14-06 | 07:26 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
That occurs at times with the Supra LSD., that is why went with the TRD LSD because I am **** about jerkiness in the drivetrain. You do get better peformance with 3.76 than the 3.26. Are you using the correct gear lube Alex? You have to use a gearlube formulated for LSD's.
Yep....I am using Redline 75w-90.....the one that doesnt have "NS" on the bottle. It's the right stuff. It is very intermittent. My tech says one of the transmission selinoids may be getting caught up or stuck on occasion. Whatever that may mean. Gas mileage is fine....I may have had a bad tankful. I filled up this morning and drove to work and got 24mpg.

I'm just very **** about my cars as well and just a lttle something like this intermittent, not going into OD, annoys me. We'll figure it out. The car is definately performing great. Hauls arzzz.
Old 04-14-06 | 07:48 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Default my theory

I think the lower gearing confuses the ecu(maybe more so on the GS430...?) because there is much less load on the transmission and motor at cruising speed than if it still had 3.24 gears.

did you just get the new rear end when you had the car redone or was it already there?
Old 04-14-06 | 08:09 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chuckb
I think the lower gearing confuses the ecu(maybe more so on the GS430...?) because there is much less load on the transmission and motor at cruising speed than if it still had 3.24 gears.

did you just get the new rear end when you had the car redone or was it already there?

I did the rear after I got the car back.....the 3.76 went in about a week and a half ago.....and thats when the problem started. Does anyone know about these transmission selonoids and what do they do??? And where they are found???

Maybe I should reset the ECU.....Im pretty sure it had enough time since the install to do its learning. Have driven about 300-400 miles with the new rear
Old 04-14-06 | 09:00 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

I did the rear after I got the car back.....the 3.76 went in about a week and a half ago.....and thats when the problem started. Does anyone know about these transmission selonoids and what do they do??? And where they are found???

Maybe I should reset the ECU.....Im pretty sure it had enough time since the install to do its learning. Have driven about 300-400 miles with the new rear
I don't think the solenoid has anything to do with it man. It is the new 3.76. That is why I got rid of mine - it would just hold gears and hit the rev limiter instead of shifting.

Jonny

Quick Reply: Transmission problem????