GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HR Spacers on, couldn't be happier. PICS

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-06, 07:11 AM
Belshe1993
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up HR Spacers on, couldn't be happier. PICS

Purchased the 25mm spacers from Kaine last week. Got them yesterday and had to put them on right away. I am more than happy with the out come. The wheels I have on my lexus are off of a IS300. So any one looking to get those wheels for your GS spend the extra money and get the spacers.

After my first drive the car seems to handle better and the ride actually feels smoother. IS it just me? I don't know but my friend who helped me thought it drove smoothly as well. Putting them on was a piece of cake as well, no problems at all.

Before

After

Before

After

One more After
Old 04-15-06, 07:21 AM
phisig
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How wide are those rims and tires?
Old 04-15-06, 07:28 AM
Belshe1993
Pole Position

Originally Posted by phisig
How wide are those rims and tires?
Rims are 17*7 (I believe the stock GS wheels are 17*7.5, so this pushes them out 1/2 inch further than the stock rim)
Tires are 245/40

Pics I think tell it all about the fit. I tried to get lined up in the same spot when taking the after pictures so you could better tell the difference it made.
Old 04-15-06, 08:06 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Rover
Rims are 17*7 (I believe the stock GS wheels are 17*7.5, so this pushes them out 1/2 inch further than the stock rim)
Tires are 245/40

Pics I think tell it all about the fit. I tried to get lined up in the same spot when taking the after pictures so you could better tell the difference it made.
stock GS 17s are 17x8, +50.

It definately looks better, but I don't think I could trust spacers.

Last edited by chuckb; 04-15-06 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-15-06, 08:24 AM
PetesLS400
Lead Lap

A 1" spacer Is that even safe? How much thread is there left over on the lugs? Or did you get longer lugs?
Old 04-15-06, 09:03 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

The looks are great with the spacers but becareful with a car load of people. I heard thats not good with spacers but alot of people are using them and i haven't heard any negatives about it yet.. Congrats.. It really makes the wheels look flush...
Old 04-15-06, 09:20 AM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very interesting. I have 18x8 w/ +40 offset and going to put 15mm (front) and 25mm (back) for a sc430. tire size is 245/40 18.

it's a two seater (in reality) so I don't plan to carry heavy passenger loads so I'm not worried about that.

I believe I have the longer studs that came w/ it.

are there any other issues that should prevent me from doing this?

thanks for your input....
Old 04-15-06, 09:43 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

These are some very , very old questions and an old established mod. This is not rocket science. Members have been using them reliably for years.

It's kinda funny, but I have seen a set of spacers get installed on one members car, and through time get sold on our classifieds and re-used by several other members over time.

I believe Jawnthen bought a set of spacers that were passed on about 3 times over a 4 year period on these forums. He recently sold them to another member !

Once someone get's wider aftermarket rims, these spacers are the first to go.

Key things to note:
1. Use a one inch (25mm) or less spacer with built in studs, so no issue with threads. Spacers that ar e 10mm or less should come with replaceable studs that are longer.

2. Purchase only quality spacers like from H & R , you are safe with a 1" spacer. Though there are some other good brands, this is the only brand I would recommend hands down. There are some cheap no name spacers out there that ARE dangerous.

3. Do a search for H & R spacers. Someone posted in the past few months, where to get them at a good price

4. Follow torque specifications for all the bolts.

Lexus (just as Toyota) has always undersized our factory wheel well spacing. Spacing out smaller width rims has always been a very nice cosmetic improvement. It should of come that way from the factory.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 04-15-06 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-15-06, 10:00 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks a lot better!
Old 04-15-06, 03:05 PM
Belshe1993
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
These are some very , very old questions and an old established mod. This is not rocket science. Members have been using them reliably for years.

It's kinda funny, but I have seen a set of spacers get installed on one members car, and through time get sold on our classifieds and re-used by several other members over time.

I believe Jawnthen bought a set of spacers that were passed on about 3 times over a 4 year period on these forums. He recently sold them to another member !

Key things to note:
1. Use a one inch (25mm) or less spacer with built in studs, so no issue with threads. Spacers that ar e 10mm or less should come with replaceable studs that are longer.

2. Purchase only quality spacers like from H & R , you are safe with a 1" spacer. Though there are some other good brands, this is the only brand I would recommend hands down. There are some cheap no name spacers out there that ARE dangerous.

3. Do a search for H & R spacers. Someone posted in the past few months, where to get them at a good price

Lexus (just as Toyota) has always undersized our factory wheel well spacing. Spacing out smaller width rims has always been a very nice cosmetic improvement. It should of come that way from the factory.
More or less everything he said

I know that this question has been around for awhile and I looked a lot before I got these. I just wanted to post some pics cause I know that is the deciding factor for most people. Seems to me people never take many pics so I am always sure to take good care to get some nice before and after shots for every to enjoy.

Thanks for the comps
Red
Old 04-15-06, 04:07 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Rover
More or less everything he said

I know that this question has been around for awhile and I looked a lot before I got these. I just wanted to post some pics cause I know that is the deciding factor for most people. Seems to me people never take many pics so I am always sure to take good care to get some nice before and after shots for every to enjoy.

Thanks for the comps
Red

You took some good shots which is very helpful to the new members who don't know or wanna know about this mod. Yea old mods never die, they just cycle through the forums every once in a while.

My input is intended to get people up to speed with the historical facts, and to minimize us from repetitvely beating up a very old dead horse.
Old 04-15-06, 04:15 PM
tonysofly
Pole Position

great pics....i might just have to get some spacers myself now
Old 04-15-06, 04:23 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blacksc400
looks a lot better!
Old 04-15-06, 11:59 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RMMGS4

Key things to note:

I agree completely, as long as these have been around I'm suprised at all the scepticism, I have had two sets with no issues, H&R makes a quality product, the 25MM have the longer studs built in as well as hubcentric rings, if you are running stock wheels these will make your car look much more aggresive and improve handling because of the wider rear track.

Nice upgrade Red.

Another after pic.

Old 04-16-06, 07:07 AM
Belshe1993
Pole Position

Rubbing not a problem so far.
Had my first test last night with a car load of people. There was me 200lbs then there were 185lb, 165lb, 150lb, and 105lb in the car. The three lighter people were in the back but there still was no issue of any rubbing on the car. Went couple hundred miles over some good ole Missouri roads (not very friendly) and never heard or saw it rub once plus there was no signs of any rubbing after inspection.

All is good

Red

Quick Reply: HR Spacers on, couldn't be happier. PICS