GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Any way to have all 3 lights on at once? Fog/Low/High

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-06, 05:41 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Any way to have all 3 lights on at once? Fog/Low/High

So, pretty much as the title suggests. I just did BananaGS's mod for the fog light switch, but it still shuts off when i hit the high beam. I have HID's in the Fogs, there is a Bi-xenon projector in the low beam housing, and the high beam is still halogen. So, anyone figured out a way? I'm going to try testing each individual wire in the dash later to see if i can bypass it. Hopefully someone has done this already so I won't have to test every wire in there...lol
Old 04-17-06, 05:55 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about some pics of this
Old 04-17-06, 07:29 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Alrighty. I just have to wait till tonight. I was up the whole night working on my car...haven't slept yet I have HID foglights in my car, so I'm sure it will look nice

I finished a few mods: Rebuilt HID Projector mounts(involved completely taking it apart and redoing whole retrofit....very time consuming), foglight switch mod, and I also run a 4GA power cable to the trunk. I'm about to pick up some subs and amp today

Also, DJ Fergi. I'll post the reply to your PM here since I bet many of you will have trouble figuring it out the first time. I might re-write and take new pix of the DIY if BananaGS doesn't mind.

Anyways, check that the pin you pulled out is plugged back into the connector. I missed that step and I spent about 30mins connecting/reconnecting all the wires about 20 times until it finally hit me, that there was no signal going to the switch

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the most important thing...lol. I think I've figured out a way to wire the lights so all 3 will come on at the same time. I'm going to spend some time researching/experimenting today. Wish me luck

Last edited by JeffTsai; 04-17-06 at 07:33 AM.
Old 04-17-06, 08:12 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Alrighty. I just have to wait till tonight. I was up the whole night working on my car...haven't slept yet I have HID foglights in my car, so I'm sure it will look nice

I finished a few mods: Rebuilt HID Projector mounts(involved completely taking it apart and redoing whole retrofit....very time consuming), foglight switch mod, and I also run a 4GA power cable to the trunk. I'm about to pick up some subs and amp today

Also, DJ Fergi. I'll post the reply to your PM here since I bet many of you will have trouble figuring it out the first time. I might re-write and take new pix of the DIY if BananaGS doesn't mind.

Anyways, check that the pin you pulled out is plugged back into the connector. I missed that step and I spent about 30mins connecting/reconnecting all the wires about 20 times until it finally hit me, that there was no signal going to the switch

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the most important thing...lol. I think I've figured out a way to wire the lights so all 3 will come on at the same time. I'm going to spend some time researching/experimenting today. Wish me luck

i would like to do know about how to wire it up so you can have all three if you want to as well... i did bananags's fog light mod and im happy with that..but id like to have the fogs completely independent to turn on and off as i wish, not when my highbeams want me to..i know its a safety feature to not blind other drivers, but when im on the road by myself and i want a LOT of light, i should be able to have it any way i want lol..so if you figure out an easier way bro let me know.... also want to hear some feedback from you after you install your stereo equip...my engine noise (whining you can hear from stereo speakers) gets worse when my hids are on...im wondering if its going to be even more annoying with a second set of HIDs now since id like to put them in my fogs.... the whole situation sucks, considering i have all high end crap in my car, eclipse navi/dvd/cd headunit, all ads speakers inside, all eclipse amps powering everything, monstercable wiring throughout, optima battery, monstercaps, bla bla bla.... some believe its an issue with this model deck, but i think it all breaks down to improper wiring..either way id like to know if you experience any problems like mine..
Old 04-17-06, 09:56 AM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please note I didn't to this on a GS.

I cut the fog light wire from the light switch and jumped it to the parking lamps. That way the fogs could be on with parking lamps, high, or low. This way they also couldn't be left on alone. Then under the hood I cut the feed to the fogs and added a relay. The relay was turned on and off by the fog light switch and the power to the fogs was powered by the relay with an inline fuse. I was told by the dealership to use the relay because the parking lamp wires and such couldn't handle the draw the fogs would create.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-17-06, 12:56 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
i would like to do know about how to wire it up so you can have all three if you want to as well... i did bananags's fog light mod and im happy with that..but id like to have the fogs completely independent to turn on and off as i wish, not when my highbeams want me to..i know its a safety feature to not blind other drivers, but when im on the road by myself and i want a LOT of light, i should be able to have it any way i want lol..so if you figure out an easier way bro let me know.... also want to hear some feedback from you after you install your stereo equip...my engine noise (whining you can hear from stereo speakers) gets worse when my hids are on...im wondering if its going to be even more annoying with a second set of HIDs now since id like to put them in my fogs.... the whole situation sucks, considering i have all high end crap in my car, eclipse navi/dvd/cd headunit, all ads speakers inside, all eclipse amps powering everything, monstercable wiring throughout, optima battery, monstercaps, bla bla bla.... some believe its an issue with this model deck, but i think it all breaks down to improper wiring..either way id like to know if you experience any problems like mine..
Do you have high quality RCA's? Cheap RCA's can induce engine noise. Also make sure the power wire and RCA's are as far apart as possible. And also try to make sure all of your ground in your stereo are grounded at the same point. If not and easy way to fix it is to unhook all grounds and get a 0guage ground going with a non-fused distribution block and ground everything to the block. Centralized grounding is good.
Old 04-17-06, 01:38 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexbox
Do you have high quality RCA's? Cheap RCA's can induce engine noise. Also make sure the power wire and RCA's are as far apart as possible. And also try to make sure all of your ground in your stereo are grounded at the same point. If not and easy way to fix it is to unhook all grounds and get a 0guage ground going with a non-fused distribution block and ground everything to the block. Centralized grounding is good.

im in the process of rechecking the grounds bro, ill be able to spend more time on it now that tax seasons coming to the last few days..more free time soon! but yeah all the rcas i have whatever the best monstercable sells are, they were expensive...not saying price=quality but i have always used monstercable top notch stuff in my other rides and never had an issue...i know they are not all grounded out to a distribution block...maybe that would help...and i do want to have it re wired because i know they did a rush job on the damn wiring and ive pulled up the back seat and seen that it was way to close to eachother..i tried to separate it SOME but it needs to be redone...also been told that the preamp something on the back of some of these eclipse navi decks (i have one of the dvd navi/cd/fm/am/mp3 ones from last year or the year before) were too low of a voltage output or two high? i cant remember i have to get the whole thing re done and maybe the deck replaced too..it sucks having such a nice setup getting destroyed by engine noise...its embarrassing and obnoxious to listen to all the time... oh ps JEFF sorry didnt mean to bust into your thread with my question..
Old 04-17-06, 03:28 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

JeffTsai,

Are you giving up the high beam option (and making it an extra low) or are you planning to run highs all the time? I am not sure if I like either option.
Old 04-17-06, 03:59 PM
GS42NV
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IAGS400
Please note I didn't to this on a GS.

I cut the fog light wire from the light switch and jumped it to the parking lamps. That way the fogs could be on with parking lamps, high, or low. This way they also couldn't be left on alone. Then under the hood I cut the feed to the fogs and added a relay. The relay was turned on and off by the fog light switch and the power to the fogs was powered by the relay with an inline fuse. I was told by the dealership to use the relay because the parking lamp wires and such couldn't handle the draw the fogs would create.

Hope this helps.
yup ... i know lexiss_sc400 did this mod on his SC, where he can turn the fogs on by just switching to the parking lights. only problem is that you can smell the wires burning when you turn the lights on im assuming he didnt put the relay in and thats the problem. so if you do plan on going this way, i'd definently at the least put in that relay to make sure this doesnt happen on your ride.
Old 04-17-06, 10:07 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Neo
JeffTsai,

Are you giving up the high beam option (and making it an extra low) or are you planning to run highs all the time? I am not sure if I like either option.
Well the way I have my HID set up. Everything on the HID side is on a relay harness...fog and lows have their own relay & harness. So all I have to do is hook up the low beam with the fog light relay with a diode in line. That way whenever the lows are on, the fogs will be on. And since the low beam stays on while the high beam is on, the fogs will be on as well. As for the diode, it should keep the power flowing one direction, so when all the other lights are off....the fogs should be able to come on by themselves without triggering the low beam relay.

I haven't had a chance to test this yet becuase I was working on my subs and amps all day. I should be able to try the 3 beam mod tomorrow
Old 04-17-06, 10:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if you just want to have all 3 on together for a little while, just put the high beam is flash mode, that way all 3 lights are on. only if you flip on the high beam permanently that the fogs will turn off

i don't know, personally i don't see the point of keeping all 3 on except if you want 2 secs of flash or so. and i would definitely suggest against driving with all 3 on
Old 04-18-06, 12:55 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Another benefit of an Asian GS , i can have all lights on at the same time

Originally Posted by rominl
i would definitely suggest against driving with all 3 on
Why ? I dont see what harm fog lights can do
Old 04-18-06, 01:36 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ
Why ? I dont see what harm fog lights can do
It is not the fogs. I can't speak for Henry but I would rather not be on the receiving end of a car driving with highs on at all times.
Old 04-18-06, 02:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
It is not the fogs. I can't speak for Henry but I would rather not be on the receiving end of a car driving with highs on at all times.
yup, that's what i was saying. whenever my low beams are on, my fogs are on. that's not a problem, and it's legal

but having highs on when driving, that's just bad..... i HATE people when they drive behind me with highs on
Old 04-18-06, 08:26 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
yup, that's what i was saying. whenever my low beams are on, my fogs are on. that's not a problem, and it's legal

but having highs on when driving, that's just bad..... i HATE people when they drive behind me with highs on
Thanks Neo & rominl for clarifying

Last edited by AJ; 04-18-06 at 08:29 AM.