GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

About to be the owner of a GS400...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-06, 07:20 PM
oddjob142
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to be the owner of a GS400...

Hey guys...I just put a deposit on one...but I have a few questions I hope you can answer...

1) When i first started the car, the radio display did not have all the led lit up. It was hard to determine what numbers/radio stations were showing and etc. After I drove the car for a while, it all came back on. Is that normal? The dealer said that the screen goes out when it is REALLY hot and goes back once it cools off via a/c...does that sound right?

2) How often do other parts fail on these cars? It has 110k miles and I am afraid of running into problems when there are more miles on the car...

3) Is this a good deal? 1999 GS400 110k miles. No accidents, all factory body panels (just a repainted front left fender). No other main problems...car is meticulously kept. 14k walkout or 14.4k w/ the timing belt done (if not done yet).

4) The service at the lexus dealer stopped at 80k...so we have no idea whether the timing belt has been done. Is there anyway to tell by looking at the car?

Thanks alot guys.....I really appreciate it...

I jumped around with many cars but I am really excited to be here...
-1990 Acura Integra
-1994 Acura Integra GSR
-1996 BMW 328i
-1993 Toyota Mr2 Turbo
-1999 Lexus GS400 (hopefully)
Old 04-18-06, 07:54 PM
maintrain
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to CL! Honestly you can get a better deal. I have a 98 w/ 114000. 90k service done, and KBB private party value is $12,500. 90k service usually runs about $1500 at the dealer seeing that there are a lot of parts replaced (timing belt, bearings, tensioner, fluids, filters, etc...) I would ask them to have it serviced at a Lexus dealership and then offer him $13000 out the door.

Things that you may wanna consider having done on a car with these miles,

struts, ball joints, tie rods, and plugs

Otherwise, it's reliable and very fun to drive. Just keep the fuids changed and services up to date and it WILL keep going.

Good luck.
Old 04-18-06, 07:59 PM
auto228 V8
Driver School Candidate

welcome to the Lexus family!!

I have a 2000 GS400. My factory radio have the same exact problem as you have, and it is a very common problem on the lexus car. ( my old 97 ES300 have same problem also!!) All I do is to wait for the LED turn back normal in hot weather, then pre-set all the radio station.

If you want to check the condition of the timing belt, there are two metal bowl-shape cover on top side of the engine. The driver side one is more easier to loose the bolts and pop out, there should be only five 10mm bolts!!
Old 04-18-06, 08:48 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

good choice! welcome to the family of empty pockets haha
Old 04-18-06, 09:52 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

WELCOME
Old 04-19-06, 06:12 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Welcome to CL!! Another time the radio will not display properly is when it's very cold. It takes a few seconds to warm up or something.
Old 04-19-06, 06:28 AM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GWELEX
Welcome to CL!! Another time the radio will not display properly is when it's very cold. It takes a few seconds to warm up or something.
Ha ha ha, you know something about that: "Another time the radio will not display properly is when it's very cold."
Old 04-19-06, 10:44 PM
oddjob142
Driver School Candidate

well...hopefully i pick up the car tommorow. so does anyone else think the price is a little high? i could always get something else...i have someone going to the lexus auction tommorow and i may back out of this deal if everyone thinks it is a bad one.

i really wish there was a way i could tell if the timing belt has been replaced...that would save me alot of money...so do i just look at the condition of the belt?

thanks for all the comments...
Old 04-20-06, 02:35 PM
jamie_sd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oddjob142
well...hopefully i pick up the car tommorow. so does anyone else think the price is a little high? i could always get something else...i have someone going to the lexus auction tommorow and i may back out of this deal if everyone thinks it is a bad one.

i really wish there was a way i could tell if the timing belt has been replaced...that would save me alot of money...so do i just look at the condition of the belt?

I think that price is OK for a dealer, though the timing belt thing is a pain. I'd try to get 14k out the door including the timing belt maintenance.

I'd posted a question previously about the timing belt thing; they're supposed to put a sticker near the housing when it's done, though theoretically, an unscrupulous person could obtain a sticker and put it on without replacing it. From what I've heard, it's often not visually obvious if the belt is worn.

If it was me, I'd want the peace of mind knowing for sure that it's been done.
Old 04-20-06, 03:03 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take your time finding your car, unless you have a reason to rush but other than that, price is just ok in my opinion. If you know someone who have access to Lexus auctions, you might get pretty good deal on one of those. Paying 14K without timing belt service? = you don't want to do it.

Taking it slow is the best advice i can give you
Old 04-20-06, 03:17 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go for 13.5 - naturally lower is always better. keep in mind that for preventive maintenance you'll probably have to do the ball joints ($300 with labor), tie rod ends ($100 extra on top of ball joints), lower control arm replacements or the daizen bushings (350 to replace the whole arm, 500 to replace just the bushings), the water pump (known to go bad on GS4s if I remember correctly), alternator (also known to go bad on GS4s)... those in itself will be approx 800 with labor.

oh- the timing belt - add another 800.

but - when you're all said and done - you'll have a car that will go another 110-150k easy w/o much to worry about.

there was a gs4 on here with 318k miles. it was a 1998 and the guy just drove and drove...
Old 04-20-06, 03:35 PM
oddjob142
Driver School Candidate

I got the car for 12.9k and 13.8k out the door, without the timing belt done. However, he did get me a hookup at a local toyota dealership to do it for 580 tax free (on the lexus dealership's account). so in total, it is 14,380 out the door w/ timing belt done. the car is so nice...leather has no wear and no prior body work. It looks really nice...i'll post pictures later. Thanks for all the replies...this forum is definitely better than the bmw and acura ones =P
Old 04-20-06, 03:49 PM
GSV8
Driver

Originally Posted by cliffud
go for 13.5 - naturally lower is always better. keep in mind that for preventive maintenance you'll probably have to do the ball joints ($300 with labor), tie rod ends ($100 extra on top of ball joints), lower control arm replacements or the daizen bushings (350 to replace the whole arm, 500 to replace just the bushings), the water pump (known to go bad on GS4s if I remember correctly), alternator (also known to go bad on GS4s)... those in itself will be approx 800 with labor.

oh- the timing belt - add another 800.

but - when you're all said and done - you'll have a car that will go another 110-150k easy w/o much to worry about.

there was a gs4 on here with 318k miles. it was a 1998 and the guy just drove and drove...
This is well said. I have had mine for about 45 days. 1998 400 w/123k 1 owner, private sale for $13,100. I don't think I paid too much. Condition is king! I will gladly pay a little more for a car well kept. $14,400, make sure the water pump is done WITH the t-belt service and the price is not too much. The pump is not that much and the labor is minimal since they will have it exposed already. Don't let the tell you "well it is not leaking so it does not need replacing". The starter is another notorious one to let go with the miles stated. You will put more money in this car later so be prepared for it. Once you do though, it's at least 2 more times doing these things again and at least another 200,000 miles of fast, comfortable stylin fun. As Lexsoos states take your time if it doesn't feel right.
Old 04-20-06, 03:51 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

excellent price - good job on getting it done with the timing belt for under 14.5k

next up - all the other maintenance items i listed. better to replace before they break and leave you stranded. FYI on the ball joints - if one breaks, you'll more than likely need to buy abs and vsc sensors as well - they're 800 bucks just for the sensors.
Old 04-20-06, 08:15 PM
maintrain
Pole Position

I got the car for 12.9k and 13.8k out the door, without the timing belt done. However, he did get me a hookup at a local toyota dealership to do it for 580 tax free (on the lexus dealership's account). so in total, it is 14,380 out the door w/ timing belt done. the car is so nice...leather has no wear and no prior body work. It looks really nice...i'll post pictures later. Thanks for all the replies...this forum is definitely better than the bmw and acura ones =P

Congrats! Sounds like a nice car.

Quick Reply: About to be the owner of a GS400...