GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Do you lie about what year your GS is?
Yes
13.48%
No
86.52%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Do you lie about what year your GS is?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-06, 04:21 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its a 99 and people think its like 02/3+ or somethin
lol
Old 04-20-06, 05:36 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, I don't lie since it is an 05'
However, I often....and I say quite often get another line in my face. What, why didn't you go for the new 06' model?!? Then I just say back, I got 7K off of sticker price and the 3GS would cost me about about 10K more than this car, not to mention that the dealer wasn't even going to budge with the price on the 3GS.

BTW: I got the last new 2G GS3 on the lot from Park Place Lexus in Plano,TX . It had been sitting in the lot for quite a while. Seemed like the dealer took delivery of it aroud 12/04, I got it 6/05. I think they were itching to get this car off the lot so the price went from 43 down to 36 Not sure how good of a deal that was, but it seemed good at the time.

How many of you guys picked up a new 2G GS3 how much did you plop down at the time it was new? Also, my car is pretty much the base spec. No nav, no HID, no ML, etc. Just a basic GS3.
Old 04-20-06, 05:46 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My GS was on the dyno earlier this week and a guy walked in the shop and did a couple close views of the car -- you know, eyes are big and mouth hanging open. He walked around to the back and I heard a surprised voice say "LEXUS ?!!!"

He asked if the car was mine and what year. Yes, '98 with 90K. He shook his head and said his own 2004 IS300 and his dad's 2005 G35 did not look nearly as good. Makes me feel my GS has at least a few more good years left.
Old 04-20-06, 06:02 PM
chabelo31
Driver School Candidate

i get asked all the time they think its an 03' or newer when it;s actually 00' but i never lie why am i going to lie its still a LEXUS
Old 04-21-06, 06:09 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Hah, you should see the contortions on peoples faces when I tell them my SC is a '95 w/ 140K on it!
Old 04-21-06, 07:32 PM
TRULUX
Lead Lap

I have to chumps but most of the time no. My Lex is 9 years old and still has newer looks then some of the new cars coming out.
Old 04-22-06, 06:57 AM
nlspears
Rookie

I boast that mines is a 99 because I only have 30K miles on it and it looks brand new.
Old 04-22-06, 09:59 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by handzilla
So the year is 2006. Some of us just recently acquired a 2nd Gen GS that might be older say 98-02. You might hear someone say: "Sweet dude you bought a Lexus ?! What year is it? How many miles?" You respond with something like "It's a '98,'99,or '00 with b/w 90k-110k miles on it." And the interrogator sais "Oh nevermind then ," as they ponder Haha, why'd you buy a car so old with so many miles on it. Sometimes they might even blurt that part out.

Now after a while this can get annoying. People trying to take away from the value of you having a Lexus by criticizing it b/c it's an older model regardless of the generation. Either way you won't get that question much or at least in the same context if you have a car that isn't in the luxury line (i.e. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Kia(ew!)). It's almost as bad as someone asking you how much $$$ you have or make. As a matter of fact they are asking you that, but in a much more indirect way.

So, seeing that 2nd Gen GS's run from 98-05, such annoying conversations with annoying people can be avoided simply by responding to the question with "It's an '03,'04, or '05 with [insert respectable mileage here]."

Thoughts?!

man, i dont like your outlook much at all....first you actually care what people say to you or think about your car? and second, youre makin fun of KIAs? kias are the BOMB man..sheeeeeeeeiiiit i even own one, i use that or my little honda to drive down to the end of my driveway and back (its a huge driveway i live in an enormous mansion so this saves me on mileage) to get the paper every morning before i get in my old *** lexus (which has custom plates that say "1T5 A 98" )and drive my butt to work
Old 04-22-06, 10:19 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

It just goes to show that we all Don't have to lie abou our cars.. We all take great pride in our cars and keep than clean... If you have to lie than i guess your embarrassed to drive a Lexus.. Simple as that.. All these cars on here don't look like the model year? They all look newer.. Thats the greatness of owning a Lexus..
Old 04-22-06, 10:29 AM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tmf2004
It just goes to show that we all Don't have to lie abou our cars.. We all take great pride in our cars and keep than clean... If you have to lie than i guess your embarrassed to drive a Lexus.. Simple as that.. All these cars on here don't look like the model year? They all look newer.. Thats the greatness of owning a Lexus..

Good posting.
Old 04-22-06, 10:33 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

So all of you guys that have the 01+ tailights on your 98-00 GS dont lie? I mean your lying to, if not at least just tricking the people following you. Two days ago i had someone think my truck was BRAND new even tho its 2k. I said thank you to the man that thought my truck was brand new but then i mentioned to him the few subtile changes to the new LX style. Alot of people think my truck is newer even though they stopped making my color years ago.

On another note, i definately want to make mine look like the 2006 as i like the upgraded styling:Full chrome grille, nicer front bumper, lit running boards, black tint on the windows on bronze and the LED tailights. Even the roof rack looks better on the newer one. One thing of the new LX's i dont like is their dash, i like my older style dash.
Old 04-22-06, 02:12 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
So all of you guys that have the 01+ tailights on your 98-00 GS dont lie? I mean your lying to, if not at least just tricking the people following you....

wow so you really think we swap out the 98-00 tails for the 01-05 so we can lie/trick about how old the car is? hmm...ever occur to you that those of us who did that swap might actually just like the way the newer taillights look? so are you saying those of us who slapped on the JP tailights are trying to lie and tell everyone their whole car was directly imported straight from japan, just for them? i mean maybe with the imported JP taillights they're trying to convince you they have right hand drive too, hoping you wont see them crouching low in the left driver seat from behind their tints..probably have their passenger holding their hand up at 12 oclock hoping people think THAT dudes driving and not them right!...haaaaaa..and wait wait...if you speed up to pass some one, like, in the passing lane, does that mean youre actually trying to lie and convince people you drive for NASCAR or skip barber racing school or something?....what about if you order the 32oz. porterhouse this saturday night at your local fine restaurant instead of the 8oz with the cheesy little serving of chard up vegetables...are you doing it because you want people to think youre some loaded corporate VIP? but oh man...what if youre just ordering that big guy cuz youre hungry!?!? then what? - not everyone has to lie man but it seems your pretty convinced its like a natural way of life lol..good luck with that!

Last edited by upstateGS4; 04-22-06 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-22-06, 02:36 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

yo bro chill...i was just pulling some legs. I personally love the 01-up tails, the 98-00 tails are but ugly. I should have used some smilies to show i didnt truthfully mean what i was saying.

btw where upstate are you? im in westchester.
Old 04-22-06, 02:49 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there is no reason to lie bout your car...the only reason they make ignorant comments is cause they are jealous...the design of the 2nd gen GS is timeless too,so just be happy with your GS and enjoy it...why did you get your GS anyway if your gonna lie bout it?
Old 04-22-06, 06:56 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
yo bro chill...i was just pulling some legs. I personally love the 01-up tails, the 98-00 tails are but ugly. I should have used some smilies to show i didnt truthfully mean what i was saying.

btw where upstate are you? im in westchester.

hey man its all good.. i was kinda hoping you would realize i was being a TOTAL WISEASS...i should have done the same with the smilies anyway, around the poughkeepsie/albany area

Quick Reply: Do you lie about what year your GS is?