GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

windshield replacements?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-06, 07:19 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm i got a new windshield and got it installed for $210 - it's not an OE windshield though
Old 04-21-06, 07:41 PM
kendre
Rookie

Default Oe/oem

Okay, what does this stand for? I don't want to call my insurance co. and say that they need to install an OEM windshield and then not know what it means if the person on the other end doesn't know. That would be embarrassing.

-Kendra
Old 04-21-06, 07:46 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

OE - Original Equipment
OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer
Old 04-21-06, 08:52 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

OEM in this case basically means: Made by Toyota/Lexus and not some other company. Someone also mentoined PPG windshields. Personally I have never heard of them making windshields, but their automotive paint is world class. I think all the Ferrari's and Lamborghini's use PPG paint. It's also some VERY $$$ expensive paint. If the PPG winshield manufacturer referred to is the same one making the paints, then it should be a top quality product as well.

What is this winshield cracking in AZ all about? Are windshield cracks/chips more common in AZ compared to other states?
My parents LX470 has a dime sized rock chip in it. I doubt that would be covered under the insurnace here in Texas...or would it be?
Old 04-21-06, 09:08 PM
4GRAINR
Lead Lap

I'm not sure about AZ being special in the windshield department, but my 4Runner had three windshields replaced in five years. One could argue heat or some crazy vortex of energy, but I doubt it. Most likely just a fluke in the numbers of occurance.

With respect to the quesiton about rock chips ... my insurance covers any damage. Two of my three windshields on the 4Runner were replaced due to chips, not cracks. Insurance picked up the tab (well, we all did in the long run), but no cost out of pocket since it was part of my policy.

With respect to the bump stops, from my understanding (and granted this is a quick down and dirty education in the past couple days) some people cut them and others leave them standard. The only way to tell is to pull your suspension off or ask the shop that did them. I was told the reason for doing so is to allow for more wheel travel. Case in point:: I bought a set of used springs/shocks and the previous owner had issues with it seeming like the car would "bottom out" or hit something when going over a bump or pothole. When we installed the same suspension on my car we replaced and cut the new bump stops and I haven't had any issues so far at all. Like I said ... I'm no expert, but just passing along what I've heard.
Old 04-21-06, 10:16 PM
DPedini
Driver School Candidate

I had to replace mine and insisted on a real Lexus windshield. The lexus glass is not make in the US. the factoy list for a front is about $875.00 plus the new gasket. the factoy glass has the tint across the top and a band all around the windshiled. you can get non lexus glass however if you ever plan on trading in your car to a Lexus dealer they will not give you top dollar for it since the can not make the a Lexus Certifed Preowned unles ALL the glass is Lexus glass. only the original factory glass will say Lexus in teh Glass itself.

pesonly I would wan the factory glass concideing the tight tolarances. and possiblbe wind noise.

thanks
Dennis
Old 04-22-06, 07:07 AM
kendre
Rookie

Default AZ rock chips

My assumption of the common rock chips in AZ is because of the added rocks and high rate of development going on here. There are ALWAYS huge trucks on the freeways because of construction or highway improvements due to the influx of people moving here. Plus where I live there is a lot of development going on, so it can get pretty hairy. One day the road is normal, the next day they are routing you "off-road" so that they can expand or widen the road.

-Kendra
Old 04-22-06, 09:33 AM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

i have PPG - haven't had problems with it yet, seems very thick and good quality