GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Went to the track...I have some issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-06 | 08:54 AM
GSteg
Rookie

What kind of damages occurred when you got into the accident?

Come to think of it, perhaps the track is slightly going uphill and/or the track's timer needs calibration?

just throwing ideas out there
Old 04-22-06 | 10:12 AM
IAGS400
Pole Position

How much does your wheels weigh and can you add your 1/8 mile times?
Old 04-22-06 | 11:10 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
There is a misconception out there that the SRT intake will make the GS faster. In fact it will slow it down. The SRT intake is not a true cold air intake (not in a sealed box). Just look at this link which was a test on intakes. http://planetsoarer.com/acceleration...lerationR.html
DING DING DING!!!! We have a winner here...I agree 100%.

I say put your stock airbox back on and remove the piggyback ECU and you WILL be faster...but don't expect results better than 14.5. It is what it is...the GS is NOT MEANT to be a drag racer...

Do a search in history and you will find many others who have been here a long time and have had the same results. If you want to go faster, sell the SRT intake and get a TC instead.

PS I had the SRT intake with ECU as well and yes, I took it off.

Brent

Last edited by BLiu; 04-22-06 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-22-06 | 04:48 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

If you do the switch to the stock intake, let us know the results Alex
Old 04-22-06 | 04:58 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Good thing I decided not to get the intake. I couldn't afford to suck in hot air to decrease my gas mileage and performance!
Old 04-22-06 | 05:15 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

What I am going to do is have my tech look at everything and run codes....check the cats and if everything comes up empty...I will take the SRT off. I would be even willing to go back to the track and see if there is any difference. This is so frustrating......I spend $2000 on this new rear and Im slower then stock GS's.
Old 04-22-06 | 07:38 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

the GS is NOT MEANT to be a drag racer...
Damn, I wish someone would have told me that last year!!
Old 04-22-06 | 08:00 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmmm.... very interesting thread. Sorry to hear about your times though-I can imagine that must be very frustrating. One idea might be to take the time to get a weight on your tire/wheels. Weigh one of the rears; depending on your wheel you could easily be 10 lbs more than stock! That said, your times- with the 3.76 LSD should be better... The SRT I'm not sure about, but it is supposed to give you a noticeable bump in HP (if not torque).
I wonder if maybe something is wrong with the SRT piggyback ECU?
I can tell you that my car (which admittedly does have the PI TC) absolutely walks away from a stock GS4! Not sure what my 1/4 mile times are but I'm quite sure they would be near 14 flat if not high 13s. One day I'll actually make it to the track!
Keep us posted...
Old 04-22-06 | 09:43 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FutureGS400
I can tell you that my car (which admittedly does have the PI TC) absolutely walks away from a stock GS4! Not sure what my 1/4 mile times are but I'm quite sure they would be near 14 flat if not high 13s. One day I'll actually make it to the track!
Keep us posted...
TC is definitely the BEST mod for increasing 1/4 mi and 0-60mph times. Next would be the 3.76 gears. IMHO

Brent
Old 04-22-06 | 10:23 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Agreed.

The TC will come in handy along with the Torsen LSD. But the times should still be quicker with his LSD rear end.

The SRT intake is the most probable cause as it has already been stated.

I have the SRT intake and ECU also but I've also got the KAJU Custom Cold Air box along with the intake so it's as if it were designed to be a CAI.

Pictured below:

The KAJU-CAB (Cold Air Box) has a built -in insulation and is also angled to a point where the heat from the engine does not effect the intake's performance. The KAJU-CAB allows a stream of cold air when the car is in motion thus allowing the SRT highflow intake to act as a cold-air intake. Pretty handy to have. It just looks a little bland in the engine bay but helps a great deal in the intake's performance when she's on the road.
Old 04-22-06 | 10:44 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

With all this talk about the SRT intake, when I spoke with Todd from TM Engineering earlier this year, I asked him whether I should get it or not. He told me that the ECU leans the A/F ratio and it has a tendency to ping (knock) in warm/hot weather. I don't know how true this is or not because I have no experience with the SRT Intake, but I believe he has a lot of experience with the GS4, so I would to believe him.

Out of all the aftermarket intakes out there, he said that if you want one you should get the K&N panel filter, but it's only good for a few horsepower. Alternatively, if pinging is an issue, some type of adjustable A/F ratio ECU sounds like the best way to extract the most horsepower.

I do agree with you, you should be running better times. I would try putting back the stock intake to see if your times would improve. The aftermarket rims might slow you down a bit too, but not that much.
Old 04-22-06 | 10:51 PM
GSteg
Rookie

While you're at it, get some Torque master plugs and track your car. I'm curious to see how well the plugs work
Old 04-22-06 | 11:18 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
While you're at it, get some Torque master plugs and track your car. I'm curious to see how well the plugs work
I believe there is a member named Percy? who has the TM plugs in his GS4 and has run some impressive numbers. Do a search and you'll find some of his posts.

I know he posted a couple times back in the Racing Stories forum.
Old 04-22-06 | 11:38 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Originally Posted by FutureGS400
Hmmmm.... very interesting thread. Sorry to hear about your times though-I can imagine that must be very frustrating. One idea might be to take the time to get a weight on your tire/wheels. Weigh one of the rears; depending on your wheel you could easily be 10 lbs more than stock! That said, your times- with the 3.76 LSD should be better... The SRT I'm not sure about, but it is supposed to give you a noticeable bump in HP (if not torque).
I wonder if maybe something is wrong with the SRT piggyback ECU?
Keep us posted...

Hey Bud, not to burst your bubble, but please DO try to run your car and report back your findings.

As of today, I have almost every standard NA mod readily available on my car, but based on the past 2 years running the strip with similar mods as yours, sadly I can't break 14 flat. (See latst mods here*)

Though there are many , many variables as to why this could be, the bottom line is most of our mods are over-rated in power gains and they return much less than expected.

I have several new mods and plan to run my car in the next month, so I'll let you know how I do. I promise.

Note: I just dyno'd my car with Stock, K & N and SRT under very tightly controlled conditions. There is an improvement, but the jury is still out as to how much that is. All I can say at this point is FIPK & SRT are better than stock. Results to be published in a few weeks.

* SRT Intake, S & S headers, TC, 3.76 gears w/LSD, Valve Body Mod, TM Plugs, Ground Kit, Full Synthetic, Michelin PS 2, 295 wide tires on 11" wide HRE rims, Overall measured tire diameter is 25.9" close to stock dia., no heavy audio, just body kit.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 04-22-06 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-23-06 | 04:41 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Hey Bud, not to burst your bubble, but please DO try to run your car and report back your findings.

As of today, I have almost every standard NA mod readily available on my car, but based on the past 2 years running the strip with similar mods as yours, sadly I can't break 14 flat. (See latst mods here*)
I would just write it off as a lack of driver skill !! j/k
Yes, I certainly do realize there are MANY variables in running track times. The nearest track to me is at about 2,000 ft. elevation and is in the desert (tends to dry, hot air except in winter). They do have a correction factor, but I still expect to be close to 14 flat or very near. Yeah, high 13s might not be attainable, but I can always dream...
I've been waiting to get the headers put on and possibly an SAFC before going to the track, but time does not permit up till now...

Quick Reply: Went to the track...I have some issues