GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Went to the track...I have some issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-06 | 12:10 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Default Went to the track...I have some issues

I went to the track tonight and there has got to be something wrong with my car.....Here are the timeslips below

60ft - 2.253
1/4 mile - 14.975
MPH - 93.343

60ft - 2.212
1/4 mile - 14.966
MPH - 93.535

60ft - 2.216
1/4 mile - 14.946
MPH - 93.924

As you can see I am very consistant and I should be pulling harder then this. Based on my mods I should be in the 14.0-14.3 range and MPH should be in the 97-99mph range. My 60ft times are respectable but these times are very dissapointing.

I am by no means a rookie when it comes to drag racing so I did everything I am supposed to regarding getting this boat down the track.

Now for the questions......Can there be something wrong with the car, regarding sensors and all that and it not trip a CEL light???? Could I have bad catilytic converters??? What could cause my car not to pull harder then these times show???? Can I have an auto parts store pull some codes and see if anything comes up??

Please help me cause I am very frustrated and bothered by this......
Old 04-22-06 | 12:38 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Wouldn't hurt to get autozone to pull up some codes. Your car should definitely be doing better than that since you have all those mods, unless you were racing in a hot climate at a high altitude?
Old 04-22-06 | 01:01 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

it was kinda hot here in AZ. today Alex.

were your tires spinning?
Old 04-22-06 | 07:30 AM
Belshe1993
Pole Position

Those times are not to bad. You might think about putting on your stock rims. Those aftermarket 19's might not be helping you at all if they are heavier and you do have a body kit as well. I see your point where you should be running better times. I ran a 14.8 last year and I am bone stock. Our MPH is the the same and so is our 60ft. I took everything out of my car when I ran the 14.8 though. I have had only one of those most of them are 15.0. Try taking out your spare tire and stuff maybe. Oh and remember you put a .1 sec on your cars ET for every 100lbs in your car (about).

Keep trying
keep us updated
RED
Old 04-22-06 | 07:32 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

No spinning at all.....all my runs were very consistant. Is there a possibility from my car accident a couple of months ago that my cat's may have been busted from the impact my exhaust took from getting rear-ended???? I'm throwing that out there cause my buddies S/C Tacoma was a dog for a awhile and they finally realized it was his cat's.....now its back to norm and hauls.
Old 04-22-06 | 07:33 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

What is the temp there???

I don't think there is any point in trying to get codes pulled. If you had any codes they would be showing. Any soft codes that are not showing are not causing any problems otherwise you would have a CEL.

Have you done all the regular maintenance?? New plugs etc. ??

Jonny
Old 04-22-06 | 07:34 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Red Rover
Those times are not to bad. You might think about putting on your stock rims. Those aftermarket 19's might not be helping you at all if they are heavier and you do have a body kit as well. I see your point where you should be running better times. I ran a 14.8 last year and I am bone stock. Our MPH is the the same and so is our 60ft. I took everything out of my car when I ran the 14.8 though. I have had only one of those most of them are 15.0. Try taking out your spare tire and stuff maybe. Oh and remember you put a .1 sec on your cars ET for every 100lbs in your car (about).

Keep trying
keep us updated
RED
I hear ya.....but SRT and 3.76/LSD my trap speeds are off.
Old 04-22-06 | 07:35 AM
Belshe1993
Pole Position

I don' t think cats would be the issue. You never know though.
Old 04-22-06 | 07:36 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dx3
What is the temp there???

I don't think there is any point in trying to get codes pulled. If you had any codes they would be showing. Any soft codes that are not showing are not causing any problems otherwise you would have a CEL.

Have you done all the regular maintenance?? New plugs etc. ??

Jonny
The car only has 46K on the odom.....so no plugs yet. All the other maintenance stuff I am **** about.

Weather was 75 degree's with no wind at all....perfect conditions.
Old 04-22-06 | 07:37 AM
Belshe1993
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AZDesertGS
I hear ya.....but SRT and 3.76/LSD my trap speeds are off.

I agree I was thinking to where you are at you should of been trapping at least 95-96mph.... Have you reset your ECU recently? That might be the culprit there.
Old 04-22-06 | 07:51 AM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Are u sure u have the 376 rear end? I mean is it possible that where u got it from might of messed up? You can easily tell by the rpm's . Or maybe it's just the HEAT , isn't it like 90 something there? Either way you are only 1/2 sec off with the mods, could of just been a bad day. The cats are fine, they are built to last a long time. Try to go again and pre-load right before the tree drops to 1800 rpm, trac off, pwr on. good luck

Oops never mind about the HEAT.....just read it was 75
1- re-set ecm - drive it like it's stolen
2- preload the rpm's a little higher than 1800, since u didn't get wheelspin, until the tires bark a little
3- check your air filter, dirty and clogged are no good
4- how high above sea level are u? this makes a big difference, hopefully this is the only problem

Last edited by BLAZE; 04-22-06 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-22-06 | 08:06 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Its the SRT intake. I bet if you put the stock intake back in there, your times will be better.
Old 04-22-06 | 08:08 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by blaise
Are u sure u have the 376 rear end? I mean is it possible that where u got it from might of messed up? You can easily tell by the rpm's . Or maybe it's just the HEAT , isn't it like 90 something there? Either way you are only 1/2 sec off with the mods, could of just been a bad day. The cats are fine, they are built to last a long time. Try to go again and pre-load right before the tree drops to 1800 rpm, trac off, pwr on. good luck

Oops never mind about the HEAT.....just read it was 75
1- re-set ecm - drive it like it's stolen
2- preload the rpm's a little higher than 1800, since u didn't get wheelspin, until the tires bark a little
3- check your air filter, dirty and clogged are no good
4- how high above sea level are u? this makes a big difference, hopefully this is the only problem

I appreciate the input but I know its a 3.76....Carson Toyota bought, brand new......3K RPMs at 80....Launching isnt my problem, its not pulling down the track. Air filter is clean. I've drag raced probably 100 times in my life so I am pretty confident I got the most out of this car last night.....hense the consistant 60f/trap speed and times.

I dont know why I keep thinking that something is off because of my accident cause I didnt feel this hesitation from pulling before the accident. And that was before the 3.76 LSD
Old 04-22-06 | 08:09 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Its the SRT intake. I bet if you put the stock intake back in there, your times will be better.
Ya think?????
Old 04-22-06 | 08:47 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AZDesertGS
Ya think?????
There is a misconception out there that the SRT intake will make the GS faster. In fact it will slow it down. The SRT intake is not a true cold air intake (not in a sealed box). Just look at this link which was a test on intakes. http://planetsoarer.com/acceleration...lerationR.html

Quick Reply: Went to the track...I have some issues