GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Have oem GS rims? Try this mod! 56k - :( sorry.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-06, 02:20 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Hey Cliffud. I'm just curious. Were you able to file the edges to get rid of the curb rash? I can't tell from the pictures of the finished product.

By the way, nice job. It looks fantastic.

e
Old 04-22-06, 03:32 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

That stool looks awefully small for zach

great work by the way. I personally love creative DIY stuff!
Old 04-22-06, 03:34 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by alohaincal
Nevermind.. My system is just running really, really slow

I think its the hosting because it takes a long time for pictures to load up on my pc.
Old 04-22-06, 05:36 PM
4GRAINR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That stool was small, but it gets you at the right level for projects like that one.

This was a fun project to work on. I am amazed how it turned out given this was a "demo" wheel to try it out on. If you have some extra time, this is a great inexpensive mod for your rims. Not to mention if you screw up the paint or want a wild color (blue/red/whatever) you can simply sand it down and paint over it again.
Old 04-22-06, 05:44 PM
URDONE
Lexus Test Driver

Nice job. Can't wait to see them on the car.
Old 04-22-06, 07:16 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
Hey Cliffud. I'm just curious. Were you able to file the edges to get rid of the curb rash? I can't tell from the pictures of the finished product.

By the way, nice job. It looks fantastic.

e
Yeah, I'm totally not afraid of curb rash anymore since you can just sand out the rough edges with sand paper.

If anyone has oem 17"s with curb rash- I'm pretty sure anyone with a pulse can go ahead and sand off the edges. Once you're done sanding - paint it and you're done!
Old 04-22-06, 07:17 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
hey man- if you use DUPLICOLOR GUNMETAL WHEEL PAINT/SPRAY you will be able to avoid the primer and the clear coat (might still want to sand a little)..and probably have far less of a chance of that paint chipping off when you go to get the tires mounted back up..maybe thats what you used, but you didnt mention so im just saying now..they wont look so great when they go to run the tire around that rim and the paint flakes off around the whole edge ya know!? ive used the duplicolor gunmetal wheel coat (its in a spray can like regular spray paint they also have silver, bronze, black, etc.) and had no issues afterwards when the tires got put back on, finish also lasted for about 2 years..i did this to the steelies on one of my hondas i drive in the winter and they all held up great...

DUPLICOLOR GUNMETAL WHEEL PAINT/SPRAY << That's the paint that I purchased!
Old 04-22-06, 08:20 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffud
Yeah, I'm totally not afraid of curb rash anymore since you can just sand out the rough edges with sand paper.

If anyone has oem 17"s with curb rash- I'm pretty sure anyone with a pulse can go ahead and sand off the edges. Once you're done sanding - paint it and you're done!
I suppose this technique would only work with surface curb rash. If the rash was deeper or more jagged, where metal was actually chipped away, you'd probably need to get it professionally refinished, don't you think?
Old 04-22-06, 08:36 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome job. Ive been debating whether to do something with my stock 17's, especially since I bought new tires for them right before I got the 19's I have now. I was debating taking them to a shop to get refinished, but this appears to be a mod that I can both afford, and actually do myself. Great write up
Old 04-22-06, 08:45 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ive done this before on a civic for a friend. Not the easiet yet not the hardest but it does come out nicely! i used the same products. nice!

Takes some time

post pix on car pls!
Old 04-22-06, 10:33 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by e-man
I suppose this technique would only work with surface curb rash. If the rash was deeper or more jagged, where metal was actually chipped away, you'd probably need to get it professionally refinished, don't you think?
actually - if you have some areas that have chipped paint, you can probably mix up some JB weld and fill in the area and then sand it down to make it flush.

the curb rash that was on the rim before wasn't just paint - it was cut down to the metal. somehow - my sand paper was able to smooth it all out and the edge is actually smooth all the way around now.

good luck!
Old 04-22-06, 11:17 PM
ktang235
Driver

Looks really good, like that gunmetal color too.
Old 04-23-06, 10:35 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work were shall I send my stock wheels to
Old 04-23-06, 02:30 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

The wheel looks shiny, but will you clearcoat it for more protection and bling?

I guess you want a pretty thin layer around the edges. If it's thick a rash would probably chip the hell out of it.
Old 04-23-06, 08:04 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

haven't had a chance to work on the rims lately. i don't think i'll be clear coating it because i like the matte finish and with the paint i used, it doesn't require one.

i'll see if i can get some work done this week and swap them out with the oems that i have on the car now. woooooo.

Quick Reply: Have oem GS rims? Try this mod! 56k - :( sorry.