GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

3000 Miles in my 99 Lexus.. First impressions and Observations.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-06 | 09:51 AM
nlspears
Rookie

Thumbs up 3000 Miles in my 99 Lexus.. First impressions and Observations.

Well, I have finally put 3000 Miles on my 99 Lexus GS400. I bought it in January with 27.7k miles on it. The first thing I did was change the oil, differential, and drain and filled the tranny. I also added a K&N panel filter and reset the ECU, since an old lady owned this car.

Well, I love this car!! I came from a 1997 Taurus SHO, which I though was a beast, but with it's transmission woes I ditched it. Words can't compare how much better the Lexus is than the SHO. The ride and engine is so quiet that when I drive my wife's Nissan Altima, while quieter than a lot of cars, I stil get irritated by the loud 4 banger in it. These are my comparisons and OPINIONS of my GS400 vs Tausus SHO

Stock Suspension - Tausus SHO is much better.
Sound System (My Lexus doesn't have the Nakamichi) - Taurus Mach system better
Quality on interior - Lexus by Far, expecially the leather compared to the Taurus's Leather
Ride quality (Smoothness to Michigan Road) - Lexus by far
Reliability - Lexus no question
Options - Lexus
One thing I did like better in the Taurus was the Automatic Headlights had a sensitivity setting for turning the headlights on.
Performance - Lexus of course

Okay, here are some observations from my first 3000 miles.
  1. The Lexus does have a floating feeling, but with Michigan roads, I will have to deal with it. My SHO had a firm suspension but the roads were killing me.
  2. When I shift into drive the car seems to squat or lower in the rear. Is this normal?
  3. When I shift between Park, Reverse, Neutral, and drive the car seem to jump a little. Is this normal.
  4. From launch the car seem to hesitate until it shifts into gear 2 then I can feel some pickup. Is this normal?
  5. The steering feels weird. The car seems to wonder in the lane.

Overall, I am very pleased with this car. I would not go back to an SHO if a gun was put to my head.

Last edited by nlspears; 04-22-06 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-22-06 | 10:08 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by nlspears

he [*]When I shift into drive the car seems to squat or lower in the rear. Is this normal?[*]When I shift between Park, Reverse, Neutral, and drive the car seem to jump a little. Is this normal.
This is what I've noticed about my car too. Makes me wonder if it's a factory characteristic, or if my engine/transmission mount is gone (most likely since they are rubber and my car has 125k miles on it).

[*]From launch the car seem to hesitate until it shifts into gear 2 then I can feel some pickup. Is this normal?
From what I remember, our 1st gear is pretty weak. I ran it WOT in 1st gear last week and my friend was no impressed, that is until I was in 2nd gear where he finally went . Now from a roll, this thing is a beast. I love the pull of it. It scares the jeebus out of me.

[*]The steering feels weird. The car seems to wonder in the lane.[/list]
Possibly it's time for an alignment?
Old 04-22-06 | 10:10 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Glad you enjoyed your first 3k miles... Numbers 4 and 5 seem about right... under your observation list but a GS itsn't even in the same catagory as a SHO.. I think the thing i hate the most is the car seems to wonder when your driving straight... VEry weird.. but if thats my only complaint than I'm doing pretty good..
Old 04-22-06 | 10:17 AM
GS3Tek

Well, I have finally put 3000 Miles on my 99 Lexus GS400. I bought it in January with 27.7k miles on it. The first thing I did was change the oil, differential, and drain and filled the tranny. I also added a K&N panel filter and reset the ECU, since an old lady owned this car.

Overall, I am very pleased with this car. I would not go back to an SHO if a gun was put to my head.
Welcome you to CL and congrats on your new GS
That is such a verry low mileage car you bought there

Options - Lexus
One thing I did like better in the Taurus was the Automatic Headlights had a sensitivity setting for turning the headlights on.

I'm not sure if this is what you meant, BUT the lexus has automatic headlights that turn on when it gets dark. You have to set the left headlight switch to "AUTO". You can cover those black nickel-size bumps by the front windshield with a piece of paper and you'll see the light turn on automatically.

[*]When I shift between Park, Reverse, Neutral, and drive the car seem to jump a little. Is this normal?
I think this is common in most cars that I've faced. After parking and before letting go of the brake, I depress the foot brake then shift into park. This locks the car rather than your transmission engage the car into park. There was thread that discussed about this.
[*]From launch the car seem to hesitate until it shifts into gear 2 then I can feel some pickup. Is this normal?
I think this is the lag that the drive by the wire system . Someone more knowledgeable can explain that.
I think that it's more of the whole suspensions where Lexus uses softer components (bushings) to give it that smooth feel, really good for soaking up bumps and bruises but makes the whole car feel too loose.
If it's pulling to the left or right when driving then it could be the alignment.
Old 04-22-06 | 10:29 AM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

welcome to CL - the rear does drop when you shift into D - i think that's normal, my car does it and my old '95 M3
Old 04-22-06 | 12:53 PM
nlspears
Rookie

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Welcome you to CL and congrats on your new GS
That is such a verry low mileage car you bought there

Options - Lexus

I'm not sure if this is what you meant, BUT the lexus has automatic headlights that turn on when it gets dark. You have to set the left headlight switch to "AUTO". You can cover those black nickel-size bumps by the front windshield with a piece of paper and you'll see the light turn on automatically.

[*]When I shift between Park, Reverse, Neutral, and drive the car seem to jump a little. Is this normal?
I think this is common in most cars that I've faced. After parking and before letting go of the brake, I depress the foot brake then shift into park. This locks the car rather than your transmission engage the car into park. There was thread that discussed about this.
I think this is the lag that the drive by the wire system . Someone more knowledgeable can explain that.
I think that it's more of the whole suspensions where Lexus uses softer components (bushings) to give it that smooth feel, really good for soaking up bumps and bruises but makes the whole car feel too loose.
If it's pulling to the left or right when driving then it could be the alignment.

Yeah, I know the Lexus has an automatic setting. What I meant is the SHO had a sensitivity switch where you can adjust how dark it must be before the headlights turn on.

No, the car doesn't pull to the left or right, just wonders, but I guess that's normal. I did just empty out my steering system today and put tranny fluid in it. I don't know what was in it but it wan't red, so I drained it out of the resevoir and steering rack. I will see how the steering feels now.

I know the SHO isn't in the same class. I was just comparing it since that was my previous car.

Thanks for the welcome guys!!
Old 04-22-06 | 01:08 PM
dmanbluesf
Pole Position

:
There is a wa y to adjust it - it might be the C-Best settings or somewhere else on the car.
Old 04-22-06 | 02:35 PM
mikeyboy
Lead Lap

Yeah, I know the Lexus has an automatic setting. What I meant is the SHO had a sensitivity switch where you can adjust how dark it must be before the headlights turn on.

No, the car doesn't pull to the left or right, just wonders, but I guess that's normal. I did just empty out my steering system today and put tranny fluid in it. I don't know what was in it but it wan't red, so I drained it out of the resevoir and steering rack. I will see how the steering feels now.

I know the SHO isn't in the same class. I was just comparing it since that was my previous car.

Thanks for the welcome guys!!
i i might be wrong but if i recall correctly believe the lexus steering system doesn't use tranny fluid like most cars.
Old 04-22-06 | 02:37 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Congrats on the car. The squatting when you put it in drive is normal. The BMW's with automatics do that too not. The car is telling you I'm ready to burn rubber
Old 04-22-06 | 02:58 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

I think any rwd car with a powerful motor will do that. With an automatic tranny, the rear wheels are pushing foward while the car is stationary when you are in drive. Even though the car is not moving, the suspension is being pushed downwards due to the force from the torque converter at idle rpm. Im sure any RWD car will have this same symptom. It is more pronounced when you gas/brake getting ready for a launch at the light.
Old 04-22-06 | 03:54 PM
nlspears
Rookie

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I think any rwd car with a powerful motor will do that. With an automatic tranny, the rear wheels are pushing foward while the car is stationary when you are in drive. Even though the car is not moving, the suspension is being pushed downwards due to the force from the torque converter at idle rpm. Im sure any RWD car will have this same symptom. It is more pronounced when you gas/brake getting ready for a launch at the light.

That's what I figured, since I am used to driving front wheel drive cars I didn't know what to expect.