GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I visited Weapon R this past weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-01, 12:26 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I attended my cousin's wedding banquet in San Francisco this last weekend and decided that while I am up there to also visit Weapon R's facility and to see for myself some of the products they have been bringing into the market. As one would know, sometimes the best thing to do is to visit a site in person rather than developing theories and assumptions based on third person stories or rumors/impressions. I guess that comes from my scientific/engineering background....

Anways, I met with the owner who seemed very personable - no surprise. He seems to have an expertise in polishing/porting engines/manifolds because he grew up in his father's shop that did this. As with a lot of aspects of any kind of business, it has been very difficult to sell "tuning packages" since they are not necessarily products per say and cannot be quanitified by physical materials. Needless to say, it seems very obvious to me that he is SERIOUS about breaking into the Lexus tuning market which, at this point, is still very small and new.

The facility is quite large and professional. They are planning to add components to their site that will help facilitate a sort of tuning testbed site for a lot of planned products for Lexus cars and they have a lot of Lexus customers that have been interested in providing R&D support. Previously, they had to outsource some of the services but through these new acquisitions, they can now perform a lot of these services in house thus making turnaround times faster.

One big topic of course is their intake/ECU product. It looks like they will be adding some more components to this package to increase some of the HP. Initially and to be quite honest, when all this began I was a bit skeptical as to how quickly they rolled out a product. However, by talking to them and other tuners in general, it seems that this is doable. In addition, the visual confirmation through my own visit just added to my positive impressions. A lot of work went into the development of this intake/ECU and a lot of it can be credited to y2kgs. But I don't want be on a soapbox right now...

Anyway, I just thought I would share my impressions of my visit to Weapon R and kinda fill out the overall picture for those concerned about their reputation and their products...Thanks and stay tuned I guess!

Brent

Old 09-13-01, 12:56 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent info B - much appreciated

Old 09-13-01, 09:54 PM
David GS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Brent:

Keep me posted on your progress, very interested! Thanks for the information. I'll be down your way next month. I'll e-mail you and give you the details.