GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HID retrofit-*pics*...Does it look weird?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-06, 10:02 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
Default HID retrofit-*pics*...Does it look weird?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../projector.jpg

I just finished my retrofit last night. Does anyone think it looks weird? It looks like my cars have eyes. lol.

I didn't make a shroud because halfway, I was too tired and I wanted to give this a try. For the bezel, I went out to Ace hardware store and got some plumbing flanges. Home depot and lowes didnt' have this.

My angle rotation is a bit off, but it's driveable. I'll probably fix it later one when I have motivation, say 5 years from now jk

It takes some time to get use to it, but I was more concern about light output than the way it looks on my car. I know it looks nothing close or good as some of the Q45 retros on here, but I'm faily happy.

EDIT- I'll try to take better pictures.
EDIT #2: new pics;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../IMG_01031.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...g/IMG_0102.jpg

Last edited by GSteg; 04-22-06 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-22-06, 10:04 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

IMO it looks good to me.. As long as it looks good and has the same light output asstock or better than Congrats.. I like to see retrofits on GS's They look so good...
Old 04-22-06, 10:12 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yo that looks pretty sick, blacked out JDM style. Nice work, can you take a close up picture of them for us?
Old 04-22-06, 10:13 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Yes it does light up the road better than the stock HID reflector. The width is definitely better!

My new D2S bulbs should be coming in today/Monday. My current ones are modified D2R bulbs and it's probably on it's last few hours of life. The color is very yellow, where as my friend's is white.
Old 04-22-06, 10:19 AM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good nice job
Old 04-22-06, 10:20 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
yo that looks pretty sick, blacked out JDM style. Nice work, can you take a close up picture of them for us?

This is as close as I can get before my flash kills everything

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../IMG_01031.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...g/IMG_0102.jpg

(blue light is from my flash bouncing back

Last edited by GSteg; 04-22-06 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-22-06, 10:36 AM
DjFergi
Lexus Test Driver

Looks good
Old 04-22-06, 10:44 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

dude that looks sick! How about parking it out in the sun and not using flash? I really want to see like up close and personal. Like my eyeball was touching the housing, lol!

How long did the retrofit take, and how much of an involved process is it?
Old 04-22-06, 11:38 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
dude that looks sick! How about parking it out in the sun and not using flash? I really want to see like up close and personal. Like my eyeball was touching the housing, lol!
I'll try that when the sun comes up!

How long did the retrofit take, and how much of an involved process is it?
I took me a total of 3-4 days. This is the first retrofit I've ever done. It helps to have a spare set of headlights just incase something goes wrong. In my case, I completely eliminated the stock reflector. Some people use the reflector as a base to hold the projector, but i used JB weld and acrylic glass to hold mine. Works well, but may not be as pretty if you look very very close. Otherwise, it looks pretty good from a few feet away.

basically it's like this:

1. heat the headlight so glue would melt
2. Pry open headlight
3. take out the reflector,
4. put in projector (with Ace Hardware's flange )
5. slap them on the car and aim them so they are leveled (rotationally, horizonally, and vertically.
6. put everything back together.

There is a lot of little steps to do, but by the time I'm done writing it, you can probably finish Moby ****.

These are the TSX projectors. I use them for their sharp cut off and nice width and output. Not to mention, I got them for $100 (after selling the stock TSX housings).

If I had to do it all over again, I would probably be done with the whole thing in a day or two. Though I dont ever feel like doing it again.

here is a picture of one projector (passenger side has projector, driver side has stock reflector)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...g/IMG_0070.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...g/IMG_0071.jpg

You can see that the right side has a big hotspot. With the projector, you basically eliminate that as light is evenly distributed. I went for a test drive and ONE projector had better width and output than 2 stock reflector Light is yellow in the picture because my bulbs are going out. New ones should come in today
Old 04-22-06, 11:53 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

awesome. I noticed with my HID PnP kit for my LX theres a slight "hotspot" dead straight even though i had halogen projectors. I actually like having that one slightly brighter spot as i get better distance from my HID in my LX over the LS. The LS430's projectors are crazy though, they light up so much area with a really even amount of light.
Old 04-22-06, 12:39 PM
GSteg
Rookie

I wish I had the LS430 projectors. Though it's big, I'm willing to sacrifice more time just to fit them in
Old 04-22-06, 02:28 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Not to mention the LS430 projectors cost several times more
I'm thinking of selling my current retro and building a new one using the new FX35/45 bi-xenon projectors. Seems like they have a pretty nice output and they dont cost too much.

How did you mount your projectors? Did you just drill onto the bowl and bolt it on the actual bowl, or did you make the mounts for the projector to bolt onto the mounting screws on the housing?

Also, just a suggestion, you should of cleared out the turn signals while you were at it . I redid my retrofit last weekend since it had little quirks and things I didn't like the first time I did it. Another thing, if you ever plan to rip the headlights apart again to clear out the turn signals, maybe paint that bezel flat black. The bezels on mine are black and it gives the housing a much cleaner look.
Old 04-22-06, 02:35 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by JeffTsai

How did you mount your projectors? Did you just drill onto the bowl and bolt it on the actual bowl, or did you make the mounts for the projector to bolt onto the mounting screws on the housing?
I completely eliminated the bowl. I made the mounts out of acrylic glass and used the reflector's mounting thing so I could adjust the veritcal and horizontal aiming.

Also, just a suggestion, you should of cleared out the turn signals while you were at it . I redid my retrofit last weekend since it had little quirks and things I didn't like the first time I did it. Another thing, if you ever plan to rip the headlights apart again to clear out the turn signals, maybe paint that bezel flat black. The bezels on mine are black and it gives the housing a much cleaner look.
I didn't really like the turn signals all clear. It looks weird to me, though most people find that better

It'll be awhile before I take apart my headlights again. At this point, I'm too pissed tired to do anything else. Actually, USPS man came and brought me new Philips 4300k bulbs. time to put them in!
Old 04-22-06, 02:40 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

get some pictures with the new bulbs in tonight

How are the FX headlights setup? how does it work?
Old 04-22-06, 02:51 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I completely eliminated the bowl. I made the mounts out of acrylic glass and used the reflector's mounting thing so I could adjust the veritcal and horizontal aiming.

I didn't really like the turn signals all clear. It looks weird to me, though most people find that better

It'll be awhile before I take apart my headlights again. At this point, I'm too pissed tired to do anything else. Actually, USPS man came and brought me new Philips 4300k bulbs. time to put them in!
I hope you took some pix of the process . Currently I just bolt the projector onto the bowl so I still retain the vert/horiz adjustability. I'm going to post up a DIY on my retrofit eventually, but im always too lazy .

Also, about those HID bulbs. If they are brand new I think there is a 100hrs or so break in period. The lights will be very yellow when you first install it. Then after a while it will whiten out. If they are used bulbs, then carry on.

Quick Reply: HID retrofit-*pics*...Does it look weird?