GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Someone just jumped on top of my car and dented the roof & trunk!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-06, 08:10 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
He didn't even give a sincere apology afterwards just a "uh sorry about the car" and walked off.
At that point I would have broken out the strong hand

This kid does not seem to respect your property or the large amount of money you spent on this car.

I know with Allstate they will add 20% to your policy for a wreck/damage, and I think like 15% for tickets. Sucks!

Jonny
Old 04-25-06, 08:22 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
At that point I would have broken out the strong hand

This kid does not seem to respect your property or the large amount of money you spent on this car.

I know with Allstate they will add 20% to your policy for a wreck/damage, and I think like 15% for tickets. Sucks!

Jonny
Trust me I was close....verrry close with the strong hand...yes deep breath...deep breath thats the key

Strange thing is that he does respect the car and such and he even wanted to get a GS of his own, but I have no idea why he freakin blew up?!?! He's even helped me clay/wax the car before and do some other stuff. So this is just mind boggling. Good thing he's no longer wanting to get a GS, because something bad might happen to it no just kidding I would never do any permanent damage to anyones car especially a lex . The worst I've ever done is put some rice ***** on the windshield on another friends car, its a different guy than the one that jumped on my car. This guy doesn't have a car at all. I guess thats why he doesn't realize how much it costs to fix this stuff or how much damage it can cause.

I talked to him just now and he said he will pay me for the damages. I'm gona have to get that in a voice recording and writing later. If not, then some more drastic measures will have to be taken.

20% increase? Thats a pretty big chunk of change. Whats the point of having an insurance company if you're just going to pay it all back

Last edited by JeffTsai; 04-25-06 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-25-06, 08:31 AM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dx3 My friends know if they even laid finger on my car I would lay them out in a heartbeat. The #1 rule is you never mess with someones car.

Your friend was an idiot and was obviously a little upset at being woken up. However, causing over $4000 in damages was bringing it a little too far.

You haven't mentioned what he has said about what happened? Does he think he is responsible?

Bottom line is that unless he pays for it - you are going to financially suffer for 3 years, not to mention you are going to have a chopped up 2005 Lexus with a bad carfax.

Your so-called friend needs to man up and take care of his responsibilities - which is somewhere to the tune of $4000.

Jonny

everything dx3 said is true....

i have no idea what would happen with me and my friends they are all car freaks we know that it is a huge No no esp.. a lexus

lay down the law son !

otherwise you are going to have to pay for his stupid acts and that will cost you in the end probally 3-4 yrs

hope my input helped
Old 04-25-06, 08:38 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

This is a horrible situation, but I was just thinking maybe a call to his parents (if you can get them) with the threat of police involvement may get them motivated to "help" their son out. I can't picture any college kid agreeing to $4000 in damages, and kicking his *** a half dozen times doesn't get your car fixed and will probably elevate the situation beyond it's current level.

Just a thought
Old 04-25-06, 08:51 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That dude would not have legs to dance again if it was my car. Judge Judy time. Good luck
Old 04-25-06, 08:52 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by STONER
This is a horrible situation, but I was just thinking maybe a call to his parents (if you can get them) with the threat of police involvement may get them motivated to "help" their son out. I can't picture any college kid agreeing to $4000 in damages, and kicking his *** a half dozen times doesn't get your car fixed and will probably elevate the situation beyond it's current level.

Just a thought
I'm not going to be kicking anyones *** at this point due to legal concerns, gotta love America eh lol? I might lose all/any of the leverage I have if I let loose. The reprecussions on my behalf might be even worse if I did any violent action. I'm still going to sit down with him and have a talk. If that doesn't work out then I will definately call his parents. Keep the replies coming and thanks for the encouragement/tips.
Old 04-25-06, 08:57 AM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Would it be smart to file a police report even if this is settled out of court. Just so they will have it on record. Is this possible? Can you report the incident and the guy's name without having the police charge him with any crimes yet? So just in case it comes to that you can? Or maybe show him you filed but would like to settle out of court.
Old 04-25-06, 09:17 AM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GUNRU-GS4
Would it be smart to file a police report even if this is settled out of court. Just so they will have it on record. Is this possible? Can you report the incident and the guy's name without having the police charge him with any crimes yet? So just in case it comes to that you can? Or maybe show him you filed but would like to settle out of court.
Yes he can file police report without his friend being involved, I would do it just to be on safe side. It is so much better to have something in writting than nothing. He can and he don't have to use police report, but if something happend today, tomorrow or few day's later and he'll need some kind of proof of what happend than without police report he's screwd. Remember you can't go back in time. Cover your butt before things turn around and your friend will take you to court for whatever reason ( when he get mad at you) especially after you talk to him about money for repairs.

Thats what i would do
Old 04-25-06, 09:23 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Post #17 states that you already talk to the guy and he said that he is willing to pay for the repairs. Take him with you to the police station, file a report against him, have him sign the report admitting guilt and you should have no worries.

Don't go and do the police report and say you don't know who did it, that's only going to hurt you in the long run if you are going to do anything to try to force him to pay for the repairs. You can't have it both ways. If you want to minimize your out of pocket expense in the long run, you will need to report it as close to the truth as possible. Insurance fraud is being investigated much more thoroughly and it's very easy to get blacklisted with any hint of fraud.
Old 04-25-06, 11:07 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He needs to pay for it. My friends wouldnt do that to my car no matter how mad they are, its just something that is understood. He needs to admit he was wrong, took his anger too far, suck it up and pay the damages. Dont file a claim with the insurance though, why should you have to pay for his moronic behavior
Old 04-25-06, 11:13 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
He needs to pay for it. My friends wouldnt do that to my car no matter how mad they are, its just something that is understood. He needs to admit he was wrong, took his anger too far, suck it up and pay the damages. Dont file a claim with the insurance though, why should you have to pay for his moronic behavior
I totally agree with Rich. If he is truly your friend he wouldn't have done it in the first place.
Old 04-25-06, 11:19 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch Jeff.. sorry to hear.. hope everything works out for you.
Old 04-25-06, 11:36 AM
djjt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your friend has got some serious probs, cuz that's taking it too far for a prank. weighing at 280 and jumping on top of lexus? he wasn't thinking straight or thinking at all, he's responsible for the damages no doubt. he coulda pulled off some other prank that doesn't do damage like that.

whatever the case, i would get the money from him or his parents or whatever it is. and $4000 is A LOT to get back. insurance might be the option if they don't pay for it. gluck with the car. poor car =(

charlie
Old 04-25-06, 11:49 AM
Billh2
Pole Position

If you can avoid getting your insurance company involved you will be a LOT further ahead. Depending on your insurance company, a claim will increase your rates and void your accident free discount for a number of years. You shouldn't have to go through this pain. Your 'friend' should pick up the entire tab. I would get other estimates from reputable body shops before I consent to having the roof on the car replaced. Document everything, photos, get him to sign an agreement stating he was the cause of this damage. Do this ASAP. Attitudes change with time. Hopefully, your ‘friend’ will take care of this.
Good Luck
Old 04-25-06, 11:56 AM
GS42NV
Pole Position

it seems that he's already agreed to pay for the damages. so heres what you do next. get a written estimate of the damages from your shop. then in writing, draft a document that states that he is responsible for $X damages to this body shop. Write that he has 20 business days to negotiate a check, and that the check needs to be payable to the body shop.

Also, is he over 18? I gotta ask, cuz if he isnt then anything he signs by law isnt enforceable. He might ask for this to be a full and final settlement of the damages to your car, and after the repairs he should no longer be held liable. If I was his rep, I'd make sure thats in there.

If he doesnt comply, then call your insurance company. Have him pay the entire deductible, have your insurance company pay for the rest, and have your friend give you and extra grand to cover future rate increases. This way, he's only paying half of what he would've been had insurance not have been involved, and you're also recouping your future costs by getting him to throw extra cash at you.

Either way, whatever happens, make sure you get him to admit liabiltiy in writing. You cannot record a conversation with him without his prior knowledge, in fact you could get sued for doing it, and any Judge will give him more than what he owes in this instance. The reason law enforcement may do it is becuase they have warrants and probable cause on t heir side. Were not the cops. Also, if you've noticed, every time you call your credit card company, they always inform you that the telephone call is being recorded. Just a tid bit of legal info for ya bro.

Quick Reply: Someone just jumped on top of my car and dented the roof & trunk!!!