GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Black Emblems & Car Wash Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-01, 06:56 PM
MrFlow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I don't know if you all remember me, but I'm the guy with the new 2001 Black Lexus GS 300, Spoiler, Chrome Rims, and the Gold Package. I got the car about a month ago.

Anyway, I've been thinking about it for a few days, and I think I would prefer the black emblems instead of the gold emblems. However, I had a few questions about them.

1. Will the black emblems go in the same place as the gold emblems? Such as the back of the car, the grill, the center of the wheels, etc. Or would they be somewhere else?

2. What is everyone's opinion on the black emblems?

3. How much would it cost to replace the gold emblems with the black emblems?

4. How long would it take to replace them?

Also, I have a few questions about taking my car, to a car wash. It's gotten dirty, and I figured it needed to be cleaned. However, I've heard you should only take cars with chrome wheels to hand car washes. Is that true? Also, is there anything I should worry about? How much do hand car washes usually cost?

Sorry about all the questions, but if you have the chance, I would really appreciate a response.
Old 09-14-01, 07:05 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Mrflow, if I am not mistaken, you mean the "lexus" and "gs 300" in black emblems right? In that case, you just take off your gold emblems with some goo gone and dental floss and just stick on the black emblems. To buy, I recommend Steve or SUPRATRD on here for the best possible prices on lexus parts.

As opinion wise, its really up to you what you like. Put them on if you like them because its your car.

I wouldn't recommend you taking your car to a car wash because the bristles will scratch the chrome wheels. The hand car wash around my area is upward of $25. Best bet is to do it yourself if you have the time.
Old 09-14-01, 07:23 PM
MrFlow
Driver School Candidate

I would feel more comfortable to have a dealership take care of the emblems, simply because the car is a lease, and I have no idea how I would do the wheels or the grill.

I really don't have the time or equipment to wash the car myself, so I was thinking of a hand car wash. The place near me is charging $9.99, should I be worried of that low price or be happy?

I've been thinking of things to do to my GS, and I know I can't do anything major (such as a bodykit, etc.) because it's a lease. However, do you have any other suggestions of things I should do to my car, that I can easily replace with the original once my lease is up.
Old 09-14-01, 08:34 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,256 Likes on 1,370 Posts

MrFlow:

I replaced the chrome emblems on my black GS with the platinum badges for the back. Bought them from Steve at Carson (don't recall the price) - one item that suprised me was that there are actually FOUR pieces that you need to replace. The word Lexus, the circle "L" in the middle, and (the part that got me) the separate GS and 400 emblems (or 300).

Personal opinion of course, but I think the black badges look awesome, especially on a black GS. Very understated and a bit evil.

I had the dealer put mine on, think they charged about 25 bucks, took 30 minutes. Worth it to me to have someone to fix it if they didn't go on perfectly straight. I only did the trunk lid, kept the stock chrome center caps on the wheel, and I have an L-Tuned grille (no emblem). I've never seen black/platinum center caps sold anywhere for stock wheels, but have never looked either.

I think I have a couple of rear pics somewhere on the gallery, and I think at least one other person (Jonny Mo?) has the platinum badges on a black GS.

Rear badge pic

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-14-01 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-14-01, 09:27 PM
KNKGS400
Pole Position

Mr Flow i can get you japanese badge: V300, Vertex Editon badge, or the Aristo Badge comes in silve or black, cost about $45-50.00 let me know ASAP i am order some soon...
Old 09-15-01, 05:24 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by MrFlow
I would feel more comfortable to have a dealership take care of the emblems, simply because the car is a lease, and I have no idea how I would do the wheels or the grill.

I really don't have the time or equipment to wash the car myself, so I was thinking of a hand car wash. The place near me is charging $9.99, should I be worried of that low price or be happy?

I've been thinking of things to do to my GS, and I know I can't do anything major (such as a bodykit, etc.) because it's a lease. However, do you have any other suggestions of things I should do to my car, that I can easily replace with the original once my lease is up.
Mr flow, since its a lease, like you said, you are limited to certain mods only. I would recommend first is to get some rims. For me preferably 19's or 20's will look excellant on a GS because the GS is a big car. If you want to go further, you can get some springs and shocks to lower your car. Save your stocked suspension once your lease is up, install it back on the car.

As for the car wash, just stand at the side and see how professional those guys are. You can usually get a vibe on how they perform with other people cars.
Old 09-16-01, 05:35 PM
MrFlow
Driver School Candidate

I currently have the GS chrome rims, and I figure I'll stick with those for another year or so.

How much would it cost to lower the car? Who would lower it for me? Would I have to take it to the dealership and have them do it?

Does anyone know if they make black emblems for the grill, or for the center caps of the wheels?

KNKGS400 - Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm going to go with the Lexus emblems.

Old 09-17-01, 05:40 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Mr flow, several people on here got the L-tuned suspension and are very pleased with the results. They got the suspension because it didn't void their existing warranty BUT you have to have it installed by a lexus dealer and it costs quite a bit $500-$700 depending on your dealer. It lowers the car around 1 inch all around.

The l-tuned will be around $500-$600. If you want it, you should talk to Steve, his name on here is SUPRATRD, he has the best prices for lexus parts.

I think there is no grill that is made with a black lexus emblem but you can buy an aftermarket grill with a big mesh and just stick on the black lexus emblem in the middle. I think the TRD grill has a big mesh, not quite sure.
Old 09-18-01, 12:35 AM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Mr Flow - You really don't need to worry about the black emblem for the grill . Most grills that have the emblem usually uses the trunk emblem on there grills. So all you need to do is find a trunk emblem in black.

Now on the center caps , if you can't get them from lexus in black you can just order the chrome ones then take them to an auto trim shop and have them put black chrome on them .