GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

MAF question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-06, 07:00 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default MAF question

Guys,

I am having some problems that I believe directly relate to my MAF. When I was at the dyno on Saturday my supercharger belt broke and in breaking it ripped out my MAF. I put it back in and everything was fine.

But now the car is not wanting to start. I pulled the MAF out and realized one of the wires going into the MAF had gotten loose. So I had it repinned and soldered it back together.

Still no luck. Car is really trying to start but not starting. I ran my codes and I am throwing a P0172 which is rich bank one. So, I pulled the sparkplugs and replaced them and still no luck. They are getting both spark and fuel.

So I removed the MAF and checked continuity on the 5 MAF wires. All were fine. So then using the manual I checked the sensor for ohms. It said it should be at 2.29-2.69ohms at 68 degrees. Mine was sitting at 2.10 at 62 degrees. However, as it gets colder the ohms are supposed to rise. Do you think this is enough to stop the car from running?

I looked in the MAF and the tungstens are intact. I am at a loss. Any ideas?

Jonny
Old 04-28-06, 07:46 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know your very knowledgable on GS's and this may be a stupid to suggest to you but is the MAF in backwords after you removed it??? Those small wires are very sensative in there....could maybe they have been damaged from the impact of the belt????
Old 04-28-06, 07:54 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AZDesertGS
I know your very knowledgable on GS's and this may be a stupid to suggest to you but is the MAF in backwords after you removed it??? Those small wires are very sensative in there....could maybe they have been damaged from the impact of the belt????
Hey man - thank you for the response.

I didn't ever remove the MAF until after I was having the problems. I had only removed the plug which only goes back in one way. I understand your point though as I know a lot of people installing the SRT have this problem.

I have checked the continuity on all the wires so I know the wires are not the problem. I am pretty sure that the belts impact is what caused the problem - just not understanding what it did and what it damaged

Jonny
Old 04-28-06, 08:00 AM
Mr GS400
Pole Position

You said 'Ripped out the MAF". That sounds like a fairly violent action. Did you check for any physical damage to the MAF? The wiring may be fine but the actual sensor might have sustained damage.

Good Luck!
Old 04-28-06, 08:22 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr GS400
You said 'Ripped out the MAF". That sounds like a fairly violent action. Did you check for any physical damage to the MAF? The wiring may be fine but the actual sensor might have sustained damage.

Good Luck!
Well the problem is that you don't have access to the actual sensor. It is inside the plastic housing which is not removeable. But, the tungstens, which are the most sensitive parts of the MAF are still in place and are not broken.

Jonny
Old 04-28-06, 08:49 AM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

D, i think the cheapest opion for you is : Swap MAF with one of your GS friends and see if it works, if no it's not MAF, right? No money involved, lots of time saved!!!!!!
Old 04-28-06, 09:03 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LEXSOOS
D, i think the cheapest opion for you is : Swap MAF with one of your GS friends and see if it works, if no it's not MAF, right? No money involved, lots of time saved!!!!!!
Hey man,

Yeah I am trying to get this done. Unfortunately all of my friends here drive SC's. And the only one who drives a GS is in Cancun My mechanic is trying to find one for me as we speak.

Thank you everyone who has responded. Please keep the suggestions coming.

Jonny
Old 04-28-06, 09:27 AM
Belshe1993
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

go to a car dealership and tell them you want to test drive one. Then you can just take out that one and see what happens.. Just an idea

Red
Old 04-28-06, 09:37 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Red Rover
go to a car dealership and tell them you want to test drive one. Then you can just take out that one and see what happens.. Just an idea

Red
LOL - that was funny - my friend just said exactly the same thing to me

jonny
Old 04-28-06, 09:37 AM
Mr GS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Red Rover

Red
You forgot to mention that you'll need to blindfold or knock out the salesperson that will be accompanying you.

Old 04-28-06, 03:54 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

D, did you ever fix your MAF problem? I'm curious if it was MAF

Let me know when fixed