GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Stripped locking lug

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-06, 09:06 PM
HGill
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The same thing happened to me last week. I was at Discount tire and they stripped three of my locks.
Old 04-29-06, 09:39 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool On The Road Again!!!

Originally Posted by e-man
Thanks for the replies guys. Chuck is right. It is the best of both worlds. The problem though is that if I'm in the mood for spirited driving and I need to make a left turn, I instead have to make 3 hard right turns to get where I'm going.

After "breaking off the key in the door" so to speak, I tightened up the other 4 non-locking nuts, threw the two loose 17s in the trunk, and drove straight to Lexus to let them deal with it (which is what I probably should have done in the first place). They removed the remnants of the lock key from the lug nut, took off both passenger side 16s, put on the 17s, and I was on my way. And, they replaced the stripped lock key with a new one.

It was kind of funny because when I got there, the tech said to me that the reason the lock key stripped the way it did was most likely because the lug nut was overtorqued, and he asked me if I knew who was the last person to tighten the lug nuts. Of course, I answered with a smile, "Well, um, you guys installed the rear shocks yesterday, and I assume you had to take off the rear rims to do the job, right?"

I suppose all is well that ends well. So much for daddy teaching his boy how to change a tire.
Glad to hear everything worked out just fine E-Man. Now, time for some "Spirited Driving"
Old 04-29-06, 09:49 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It was kind of funny because when I got there, the tech said to me that the reason the lock key stripped the way it did was most likely because the lug nut was overtorqued, and he asked me if I knew who was the last person to tighten the lug nuts. Of course, I answered with a smile, "Well, um, you guys installed the rear shocks yesterday, and I assume you had to take off the rear rims to do the job, right?"
Now, that is funny.
Old 04-29-06, 09:56 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

I suppose all is well that ends well. So much for daddy teaching his boy how to change a tire.
If you handled this "situation" with the right attitude (sounds like you did ), you probably taught your son a more valuable lesson than changing wheels...
Old 04-30-06, 12:05 AM
csq860
Pole Position

Never mind teaching the kid to change tires, let's hear about when he told mom the new words he learned when you stripped the lock!!
Old 04-30-06, 07:20 AM
IAGS400
Pole Position

And, they replaced the stripped lock key with a new one.
They had a matching lock key for "your" locking lugs in stock?
Old 04-30-06, 07:40 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IAGS400
They had a matching lock key for "your" locking lugs in stock?
My GS came without the key for the locking lugs, called Lexus, they said come right in, they have the master set of 16 so they can take off any wheel...made me wonder how hard can it be for the criminal element to get a set of these?

Had them remove the locking lug nuts and just put a stock lug nut in place.

The only thing locking lug nuts do is make it hard for the owner to remove the wheels. Criminals and dealers don't have any trouble working around them.

Dump the locking lug nuts and make sure you have insurance. Who's gonna steal stock wheels?
Old 04-30-06, 08:28 AM
cxp2001
Lead Lap

That happened to me twice. The 1s time while installing new rotors and pads. The 2nd while having a flat tire. What a pain in the $%#. Those locks are crap. I watched the shop torque them by hand. I will not use that type again.
Old 04-30-06, 09:13 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

So far I haven't had a problem with mine. I will admit I have air tools at home and use the impact air tool at times when I'm too lazy to get the torque wrench out.

As for the keys, yes each manufacturer only has a certain amount of keys. I mean, honestly you can't imagine that they will retool the whole machine line just for each different lock nut. What happens if the cutomer loses a lock? Anyways a lock nut is to deter thieves not really to stop them. Say you have 5 different lock nuts per wheel. The theif is going to see that and be like, screw that. Usually when they're stealing anything, every second counts. If they have to spend an extra minute per wheel to figure out wht lock goes where, their chances of getting caught goes way up. Another technique I've heard about with regards to locknuts is they get a piece of clay and imprint it on your locknut, then they go to find the master set of keys that matches up with the clay markings. After that they go back to the targeted car and jack the wheels. Now if you had 5 different wheel locks, they could probably do each one, but most likely they will just pass it by as its not worth the effort and risk.

Just to clarify.....No, I don't steal wheels for a living, lol....
Old 04-30-06, 10:50 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I can say is "Torque Wrench"! There should be no way that key should have stripped out if a torque wrench was used instead of an impact. That is why I am the only one who messes with my wheels. I will be taking my wheels in next week to get them balanced and I will be bringing my torque wrench with me just incase the shop doesn't have one .
Old 04-30-06, 11:06 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by csq860
Never mind teaching the kid to change tires, let's hear about when he told mom the new words he learned when you stripped the lock!!
LOL. "Mommy, what does @#$% mean?"

Jonny
Old 04-30-06, 01:41 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by csq860
LOL. "Mommy, when Daddy broke his wheel today, he yelled out your name and another word that I've never heard before --- Mother *********. I was actually able to stay cool and keep it G rated (okay, maybe PG). These kinds of things literally happen to me all the time when I take on projects, so I'm usually expecting something to go wrong. For example, I went to change a light bulb this afternoon, and it became a half hour project because when I went to take out the old bulb, the freakin' glass part of the bulb tore loose from the base.

e
Old 04-30-06, 01:51 PM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys may want to invest Anti-Seize compound on all your wheels studs. I also use that on spark plugs as well.