GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Stripped locking lug

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-06, 04:58 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Stripped locking lug

So today was a big day for me. It was the day for that annual ritual that a lot of us guys take care of this time of year. I was switching out the winter 16s for the summer 17s. In the past, I had used the crappy OEM scissors jack, but this year I decided to invest $20 in a Craftsman 2 1/4 ton hydraulic jack. I found out exactly where to jack up the car to make sure that the jack didn't become a permanent fixture inside the cabin of my car. I also had my homemade breaker bar standing by to break loose those over-torqued lug nuts. I just knew everything would go smoothly. In fact, I was so confident that I asked my 5-year-old to come out to the garage and help Daddy because one day he would have a car and he would want to know how to do it. He was so excited to be a part of this project. We swapped the left side rims without incident. As we moved on to the right rear rim, and just as I was explaining to my 5 year old the ins and outs of changing rims (being the expert Daddy is, of course) and how good it feels to do things for yourself . . . .
Attached Thumbnails Stripped locking lug-04-29-06_1521.jpg  

Last edited by e-man; 04-29-06 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-29-06, 04:59 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

In case you couldn't make out the picture (crappy phone picture), here's another:
Attached Thumbnails Stripped locking lug-dscn5674-resized-.jpg  
Old 04-29-06, 05:00 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

I can say with 100% certainty that I am the only GS in the world driving around with driver's side 17s and passenger side 16s.
Old 04-29-06, 05:03 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dang sorry to see that.... have heard many horry stories of locks breaking like that
Old 04-29-06, 05:04 PM
trent
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay I'm going to take a guess here, you stripped out your wheel lock tool?
Old 04-29-06, 05:05 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

When I put the Columbo's on recently I found out that the key was stripped so I had to go to the dealer and get them to remove the lugnuts, but not before they broke two reinforced keys trying to remove the lugnuts. Good luck man, I definitely feel for you.
Old 04-29-06, 05:06 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How did you tighten the lugs prior? Did you use a torque wrench or a impact wrench
Old 04-29-06, 05:59 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Hey, not a problem!

You just need one of those lug nut breakers. Or just buy a really cheap socket attachment that barely fits over the lock. Take a hammer and pound it on so it grabs really good, then get socket wrench and try to loosen the lock nut and you should be good to go.

Brent
Old 04-29-06, 06:24 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BLiu
Hey, not a problem!

You just need one of those lug nut breakers. Or just buy a really cheap socket attachment that barely fits over the lock. Take a hammer and pound it on so it grabs really good, then get socket wrench and try to loosen the lock nut and you should be good to go.

Brent
That is why I don't have Mcguard wheel locks.
Old 04-29-06, 07:00 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BLiu
Hey, not a problem!

Jjust buy a really cheap socket attachment that barely fits over the lock. Take a hammer and pound it on so it grabs really good, then get socket wrench and try to loosen the lock nut and you should be good to go.

Brent
Hi Brent.....

You meant to say, a socket that barely doesn't fit over the lock.

~ Cap
Old 04-29-06, 07:04 PM
IAGS400
Pole Position

e,

Ouch,

Any tire changing place has special sockets that wrap around the lug to remove it for you. You should be able to call McGuard and get a replacement key to the lugs.

Michael
Old 04-29-06, 07:19 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

bummer e. It could be worse. as I was reading your story I thought you were gonna say the car fell of the jack or something. you;ll be able to fix it pretty easy. good luck.

at least you have the best of both worlds. the comfort of 16s when you turn left and the handling of the 17s when you turn right
Old 04-29-06, 07:58 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
at least you have the best of both worlds. the comfort of 16s when you turn left and the handling of the 17s when you turn right
Now that is funny
Old 04-29-06, 08:38 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Talking Positive Spin.

Originally Posted by chuckb
bummer e. It could be worse. as I was reading your story I thought you were gonna say the car fell of the jack or something. you;ll be able to fix it pretty easy. good luck.

Thats a good way of looking at it Chuck, LOL
There are special sockets for this problem. But you will need air tools. (Half inch drive impact gun) Or take it to a Dealer or a tire shop.
Good luck,
WIll
Old 04-29-06, 09:00 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Default Update

Thanks for the replies guys. Chuck is right. It is the best of both worlds. The problem though is that if I'm in the mood for spirited driving and I need to make a left turn, I instead have to make 3 hard right turns to get where I'm going.

After "breaking off the key in the door" so to speak, I tightened up the other 4 non-locking nuts, threw the two loose 17s in the trunk, and drove straight to Lexus to let them deal with it (which is what I probably should have done in the first place). They removed the remnants of the lock key from the lug nut, took off both passenger side 16s, put on the 17s, and I was on my way. And, they replaced the stripped lock key with a new one.

It was kind of funny because when I got there, the tech said to me that the reason the lock key stripped the way it did was most likely because the lug nut was overtorqued, and he asked me if I knew who was the last person to tighten the lug nuts. Of course, I answered with a smile, "Well, um, you guys installed the rear shocks yesterday, and I assume you had to take off the rear rims to do the job, right?"

I suppose all is well that ends well. So much for daddy teaching his boy how to change a tire.

Quick Reply: Stripped locking lug