GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

It's fun playing with E-Shift !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-06, 07:18 PM
gs4rocks
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use it a lot during traffic to hold the gear in 3rd. It really helps when you have to do stop-go-stop between 5-50 mph. It's also very good to down shift to 2nd right before 90 degree turn.
Old 05-01-06, 07:54 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I've used it a couple times but like a few have said i would rather have the radio controls on the steering wheel. My rental car i had for a few days had the controls and they were great.. I could get used to this..
Old 05-01-06, 07:59 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't ever use mine. I don't know why

Jonny
Old 05-01-06, 08:37 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

yea i play wit E-Shift a lot fun stuff i like the sound of the car when i down shift
Old 05-01-06, 08:41 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love mine too very nice to hear the BORLA kick down
Old 05-02-06, 07:00 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I automatically put mine in manual mode all of the time. Although I never use it for passing I do use it (just leave it in 3rd) when I am in stop and go traffic and I also love it when cruising around between 20-30 mph in 2nd or 3rd so that I can hear the sweet sound of my HKS exhaust rumbling around. IMHO it is faster to hit the power mode and stomp it than to try and use the manual mode if you are in a hurry.......the manual mode requires too much anticipation to gauge the slight lag in shifting and properly match rpm's.

I have often wondered if downshifting to slow down is hard on the transmission. It just makes sense that even if it is not "hard" on the transmission the normal wear and tear on a transmission may be more costly than replacing brakes a little more often.......but it is a lot more fun!
Old 05-02-06, 08:51 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I use E-shift all the time I do hate that It won't let you go into 1st though.
Old 05-02-06, 08:59 AM
fhumphrey04
Driver

Originally Posted by LexToyz
I think it's a marketing gimmick to cover up their lack of a true manual. booooo
This is true. Its a sluggish and sloppy system. The only good auto-manual systems are dual clutch ones like in the new BMW M5 or Ferrari cars, the one we get is just a gimmick.

I would MUCH rather have audio controls. I wish someone made a conversion kit for that
Old 05-02-06, 12:00 PM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fhumphrey04
...I would MUCH rather have audio controls....
I don't ever use mine, they're not that useful. It's just as easy to use the touch screen audio controls.

As for not having e-shift, I don't think using the gated shifter is any worse. I downshift using it all the time, esp when passing or slowing down when I don't want to trigger my brake lights. Real easy to use, just like the GM 4 speed (very similar to our Lexus 5 speed). The lag makes it easy to match the revs, LOL.
Old 05-02-06, 01:19 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Boy
I don't ever use mine, they're not that useful. It's just as easy to use the touch screen audio controls.
I use my radio controls ALL the time, but I don't have nav. they are great though, you can turn on the radio, switch radio stations or cds, volume, mute button etc.

Originally Posted by Vette Boy
As for not having e-shift, I don't think using the gated shifter is any worse. I downshift using it all the time.

I have no probs with the gate shifter either, plus we can lock in to first gear.
Old 05-02-06, 02:08 PM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fhumphrey04
Its a sluggish and sloppy system.
Downshifting is pretty quick on 1 gear change...about the same as a manual shift. More that one gear change adds latency. Upshifting is sluggish.
Old 05-02-06, 02:15 PM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
I used to use it all the time for slowing down and for holding a certain gear during point and squirt manuvers! I loved the eshift for that, conversely I dont think i ever really used it to upshift. I used to love to hold 2nd or 3rd gear and listen to those L-SPORTLINE mufflers!
That's exactly what I'm talking about. When used during slowing down you feel yourself being thrown forward the car slows so fast. Having both hands on the wheel, set the gear for max power band and mash the pedal and your launched past cars...good thing both hands are on the wheel. BTW, I loved the looks of the L-Sportline exhaust...wish they still made it.
Old 05-03-06, 08:04 AM
TedxGS
Pole Position

e-shifting is fun to use, but yeah id rather have audio control on the steering wheel. It's more convenient driving with audio control on the steering wheel like the bmw 330
Old 05-03-06, 08:56 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I hit the e-shift button once every 1.5months or so. Upshift is crappy, but downshifting one gear to pass other cars is great.

I have my tranny in D 98% of the time.
Old 05-03-06, 09:16 AM
imthedrew
Driver School Candidate

My business partner got a 430 recently, i have been driving a 300 since i got it new in 98. The e-shift on the 430 was a terrible idea, Lexus should have put it on the shift gate with the forward-backword +/- deal, instead of on the stearing wheel. The little buttons on the wheel are stupid, if Lexus was backdoor jones for putting it on the wheel they should have used some kind of paddles like some other car companies.

Personally I enjoy the manumatic type setups for one reason, they give you more input into the car instead of just gas and wheel. They make you feel like you have more control and you have to pay a little more attention to driving. For that reason and the fact that i like to imagine i am driving a manual like a 10 year old sitting in daddys vette, I like the feature on the shifter.

The 1-D on my 300's shift gate works just as well as the e-shift buttons, plus i get to move my right arm a little more and not have to hold the steering wheel like somebodys grandma pacing at 30 down the parkway at "10" and "2."

Quick Reply: It's fun playing with E-Shift !!