GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Are you going to get the Third Generation GS??
Yeah I'll be getting the 3rd Generation GS
9.43%
No Way I love my 2nd Generation GS
90.57%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Are you getting the URGE yet??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-06, 04:55 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cheezy
no way, no urge here. i did not like the new maxima look alike..........this is the reason i bought my 2004 GS430 with 6,400 miles last month. no mods yet...........all stock.
congrats on your purchase, and welcome to CL
Old 05-03-06, 04:56 PM
Gs Dreams
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

getting a 3rd gen gs??? nah not for me, i wanted this car even since i seen it in a movie almost 9 years ago ("Belly" is the movie). i have to agree, it does favor the maxima a lot. but u guys go right ahead and get the 3rd gen gs, that just leave more 2nd gen Gs's for me
Old 05-03-06, 06:33 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GSKING430
You might ask If you could switch cars for free would you? Otherwise you have insecure 2nd gen owners who don't want to admit there car is nice but simly outdated. I had to step up. My 2nd gen was nice but it's seems old compared to the 3rd gen. Oh by the way sorry for pissing you all off with this comment

I don't really think insecure is the word, as many members will just out and out say "man thats really nice but I cant afford it" etc etc.

I sold my 2nd Gen and although I like the 3rd gen, I think the best way to sum it up is to say the 3rd Gen doesnt blow the 2nd Gen out of the water, like the 2nd did to the 1st. I feel that can make a comment like that because I owned a 1st and a 2nd Gen.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that was AMAZED back in late 1997 when Lexus came with the HID lights (whoa, standard blue bulbs....LOL), Navigation (aka Navi-Daddi), and 300hp in a damn GS!!! I honestly can not say where Lexus would be without the 2nd Gen as it firmly established the brand in the head mid-sized luxury segment.

Now let me clearly state, the more and more I see the 3rd gen, the more Iike its really "tense" poised stance, its a great car. I think the problem is it replaced a great car, so the bar is set sorta high. I think thats the issue with 2nd Gen guys, we sorta expected to be knocked off our chairs again and we were not.

I think as the aftermarket continues to grow and the first year or 2 of depeciation sets in we will see more and more 3rd Gens popping up.
Old 05-03-06, 06:34 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gs Dreams
getting a 3rd gen gs??? nah not for me, i wanted this car even since i seen it in a movie almost 9 years ago ("Belly" is the movie).
Man dont even go there, its gonna start a "name your favorite GS cameo" thread...... I have tons!
Old 05-03-06, 06:41 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

In about 3 years... when im done with college!
Old 05-03-06, 07:22 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know I'm not a GS owner but I've been outspoken about my dislike of the 3GS front facia and door strip. I still hate those things and think they ruin an otherwise nice looking car. The headlight shape and positioning just take the pleasure away for me. It's starting to grow on me some but I have a ways to go.
Old 05-03-06, 07:24 PM
LexFather

Havent read the previous 3 pages but I still am not certain I'll be getting another 2GS but I do see a 3GS in the future. The GS 450h just has it all except that tiny trunk, it impresses me like how the 2GS oringially did.

The new 3GS 430 is cool but hasn't floored me. Maybe the 460 will
Old 05-04-06, 07:17 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Let me come out of hiding and say "Yes, I will be UPGRADING my 2G to a new 3G". I liked the 3G from the first picture that I saw. There were a lot of haters when the pictures first came out, but I loved it. IMHO stock - vs - stock the 3rd Generation looks much better than the 2nd. I just need to wait about 1 more year to pay my bike off.
Old 05-04-06, 07:18 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

The 3G has style, but the trunk is useless. The value is currently in the 2G.
I might consider a 3G in a few years but only if I have another car with decent cargo space.
Or I might drive my 2G into the ground because I love it so.
Old 05-04-06, 10:33 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 311 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by GSKING430
You might ask If you could switch cars for free would you? Otherwise you have insecure 2nd gen owners who don't want to admit there car is nice but simly outdated. I had to step up. My 2nd gen was nice but it's seems old compared to the 3rd gen. Oh by the way sorry for pissing you all off with this comment
2nd gen GS outdated in terms of what exactly? Push button start, VDIM and some other techie stuff. Not a whole lot if you ask me. Even the engine for crying out loud is the same as the 2nd gen GS.

The 2nd gen GS has other numerous qualities that far outweigh the few "modern" technie touches that the 3rd gen GS has.

I will not even start on the looks - I love the 3rd gen GS's more modern looks, however design is very subjective and you can never say one design is outdated. Design does not have an age - it either looks good or it doesn't. Plain and simple.

Nobody can argue with the fact that the 2nd gen GS has a classic design style that will never look old or boring.

As you can tell I will be keeping mine for a very very long time. In fact I don't plan on getting rid of it.

I also don't plan to ever get a 3rd gen GS. My personal preference would have been to make the GS more of a "drivers" car rather than just focus on the luxury aspect. I want a Lexus to handle like a Bimmer stock. Is that too much to ask??? The LS should be the only Lexus sedan carrying that luxury title. Why did Lexus feel the need to have two big luxury oriented cars??? That does not make any sense to me at all.

If I ever buy another Lexus sedan it will be the IS 350.

Last edited by Hameed; 05-04-06 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-04-06, 11:11 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gs Dreams
getting a 3rd gen gs??? nah not for me, i wanted this car even since i seen it in a movie almost 9 years ago ("Belly" is the movie). i have to agree, it does favor the maxima a lot. but u guys go right ahead and get the 3rd gen gs, that just leave more 2nd gen Gs's for me
Don't for get the movie "Ghost Dog" with Forrest Whitiker back in 97. That is when i said wow to the GS 4
Old 05-04-06, 11:29 AM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

Everyone has to remember they quit making the 2nd gen GS in 2005. So that means that the body style is only a year old!!! Definetly not outdated!1!!!
Old 05-04-06, 08:00 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
As you can tell I will be keeping mine for a very very long time. In fact I don't plan on getting rid of it.

I also don't plan to ever get a 3rd gen GS. My personal preference would have been to make the GS more of a "drivers" car rather than just focus on the luxury aspect. I want a Lexus to handle like a Bimmer stock. Is that too much to ask??? The LS should be the only Lexus sedan carrying that luxury title. Why did Lexus feel the need to have two big luxury oriented cars??? That does not make any sense to me at all.
Hameed, I agree completely. I think Lexus needs their head examined for not making the new GS a Bimmer beater. What did we get instead? Another car that you have to mod until you have no wallet left.
Old 05-04-06, 10:17 PM
RICHYRICH
Pole Position

been getting the urge to get a convertible M3, but the GS still hold me..I need to get the mods done that I have in the garage so I can keep my interest in the GS
Old 05-05-06, 05:32 AM
phunkyGS
Lead Lap

definitely not.

i waited as long as possible to buy my 2005, in order to see what the 3rd gen would offer, and haven't looked back since. in all honesty, it just doesn't do much for me. IMO, the styling is only so so and, while the new techno gadgets are cool, they wouldn't play a huge role in my decision. don't get me wrong, it's a very nice ride, but there was just no WOW factor and i guess, like derrick said, i expected to be "knocked off my chair."

Quick Reply: Are you getting the URGE yet??