GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Are you going to get the Third Generation GS??
Yeah I'll be getting the 3rd Generation GS
9.43%
No Way I love my 2nd Generation GS
90.57%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Are you getting the URGE yet??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-06, 06:23 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-05-06, 06:39 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
Old 05-05-06, 06:47 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 311 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by engin_ear
Hameed, I agree completely. I think Lexus needs their head examined for not making the new GS a Bimmer beater. What did we get instead? Another car that you have to mod until you have no wallet left.
Exactly - what is the point of modding the crap out of a car to make it more sporty when you can buy other 4-door sedans already sporty straight from the factory - and we're not just talking about lowering and some stb's. We're talking chassis and steering sporty like stock 5 series Bimmers.

Yeah right, all us Lexus GS modders needed another luxury boat............
Old 05-05-06, 08:35 AM
pavster
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't really like the 3rd gen gs. it feels cramped inside and forgettable outside. Anyway, if I trade, it will be for a different brand, just to see what else is out there. Too many interesting cars out there to stick with one model.
Old 05-05-06, 09:05 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lettuce
Everyone has to remember they quit making the 2nd gen GS in 2005. So that means that the body style is only a year old!!! Definetly not outdated!1!!!
Yeah, but they've been making it since 1998. So, yes, it may look outdated to some. It's not when they stopped making the design, it's when they started.

That being said, I would need a much sportier 3rd gen for me to move to the 3rd gen. If Lexus doesn't want to compete with a BMW, that's fine. I understand that their marketshare is probably elsewhere. But I need "sporty". I agree 100% with Hameed's comments. Lexus did not NEED another luxury car. They have the LS. They need a 5-series competitor. The new GS is not, and neither was the 2nd Gen for that matter, $10k in mods aside.
Old 05-05-06, 09:27 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lettuce
Everyone has to remember they quit making the 2nd gen GS in 2005. So that means that the body style is only a year old!!! Definetly not outdated!1!!!
I love the 2GS, but even though it was SOLD in 2005, it was DESIGNED back in 1996. It was SOLD in America fall of 1997 as a 1998 model. Trust me, its older tech.

However, the 2GS aged very gracefully and even today, there are few cars that can match its overall combination of features, power, build quality, reliability, looks etc.
Old 05-05-06, 09:32 AM
LexFather

I haven't drive a GS 450h with the active roll bars but from reading, it seems that even at 4000 lbs, this GS handles like no other.

And I've had a 2GS and driven a 3GS hard and stock the 3GS is far superior handling wise. Its much more confident, especially in "sport' mode. As good as a 2GS with TRD sways and upgraded shocks.

So IMO, that is a huge improvement.

Now the 2GS, is more FUN, b/c there is no VDIM, you take off the VSC and can do what you want. Also, there is a certain unpredicitbility of the 2GS at high speeds, that makes you concentrate more, thus adding to fun. The 3GS is more compliant.

Also even though the dimensions are similar, the 2GS feels much smaller, which I like. the 3GS feels bigger and heavier, though its barely any larger.

Also, consdering the 3GS has more features, it WEIGHS THE SAME!!! That is an incredible accomplishment.

I see what is happening with 2GS owners what has happened to from E39 to E60 BMW owners and to a lesser extent when Porsche when WATER COOLED from AIR COOLED.

Some just will not be budged.

We were SO SPOILED with the 2GS, its hard to "beat" it.
Old 05-05-06, 09:41 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

meh.....wake me up when the GS460 with 390hp is out, then I'll be able to overcome the new look and want one.
Old 05-05-06, 09:49 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by chuckb
meh.....wake me up when the GS460 with 390hp is out, then I'll be able to overcome the new look and want one.
Yes, and Lexus, not saying they messed up, but we got a little spoiled. As the outgoing 1GS had a 225 I-6 for 45k, well the 2GS came with a 300hp V-8 for 45k!

In 2001, the ULEV rated 4.3 came with 15 lbs more torque but identical ratings.

Then in 2005, the 06 430 comes with the same engine, and the GS 300 gets an all new engine.

I can totally understand, people not wanting to move up, as the engine in the 430 is the same.

Lexus knew this was going to happen, but still manages to sell oveer 2,000 GSs a month!

WHen the 350 and 460 come, I can see more 2GS owners moving up, especially when a few hit the used car market.
Old 05-05-06, 09:49 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 311 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I haven't drive a GS 450h with the active roll bars but from reading, it seems that even at 4000 lbs, this GS handles like no other.

And I've had a 2GS and driven a 3GS hard and stock the 3GS is far superior handling wise. Its much more confident, especially in "sport' mode. As good as a 2GS with TRD sways and upgraded shocks..
Despite it being better than a stock 2nd gen GS, it is still more luxury oriented than sport oriented.

Why could they have not made it more of a 5-series competitor? BMW has absolutely no problems selling boatloads of the 5 series. The 3rd gen GS cannot touch a Bimmer in the handling department.
Old 05-05-06, 12:10 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's like buying the same model TV because they add new buttons..... Not a big enough 'jump' to make me get any 'urge'

I'm still dissappointed that my 430 is slower than the GS400 stock.
Old 05-05-06, 12:54 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Despite it being better than a stock 2nd gen GS, it is still more luxury oriented than sport oriented.

Why could they have not made it more of a 5-series competitor? BMW has absolutely no problems selling boatloads of the 5 series. The 3rd gen GS cannot touch a Bimmer in the handling department.
The new M5 is just insane, and the 545 is amazing as well. The 3rd gen is light years behind the Bimmer 5 series as far as sportiness. I thought the 3rd gen would come out of the box with at least 400 horses and a sporty edge since it is the "Grand Sport" in the Lexus stable. It has same 300 horse engine as the 2nd gen 430, and a bedspring suspension
Old 05-05-06, 01:21 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The new M5 is just insane, and the 545 is amazing as well. The 3rd gen is light years behind the Bimmer 5 series as far as sportiness. I thought the 3rd gen would come out of the box with at least 400 horses and a sporty edge since it is the "Grand Sport" in the Lexus stable. It has same 300 horse engine as the 2nd gen 430, and a bedspring suspension
I think the 3rd Gen stock rides much firmer than the 2nd Gen stock. I like the stock handling of the 3rd Gen actually, though there is quite a bit of body roll. But it hangs on nicely...though it's no BMW. But nobody's suspension is really.

The problem is you can't turn off the VDIM. So it really cuts off the fun early. You start sliding, that thing starts beeping, and whap! power cuts right out. No fun. At least there should be a sport mode which could give us a longer leash. Nope. Actually, the same problem exists in the new IS too.

Lexus/Toyota just wants to protect us from ourselves. Oh well.
Old 05-05-06, 03:09 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll be keeping my 2GS... not that I don't like the 3GS (I do like it), but my next move will likely be to the new LS460 (or one of the engine variations). Now that my GS is basically paid-off, repainted, new wheels/tires, brakes, audio/video, etc., it basically like a new car to me (that, and the fact I haven't driven it since October 2005).

The 2GS, properly modified, still turns heads - I think it's safe to say a modded 2GS will still get more attention than a stock 3GS. Here in "the OC," a stock 3GS gets lost in an ocean of new 545is, CLSs, E-Classes, Jaguars, BMW 7-series, etc. I can't stop for gas in my modded 2GS without someone asking about it... it's like being a frickin' celebrity!

With the GS paid for, now I'm looking at additional toys... leaning towards building a 1UZ powered Superformance Daytona Cobra Coupe. The GS still serves as a terrific daily thumper... and I love the car. Might as well keep it!
Old 05-05-06, 03:38 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
It's like buying the same model TV because they add new buttons..... Not a big enough 'jump' to make me get any 'urge'

I'm still dissappointed that my 430 is slower than the GS400 stock.

That is exactly the point I was making (and 1SICK also eluded to) that the 3rd didnt "blow the 2nd out of the water" as the 2nd did the 1st.

Quick Reply: Are you getting the URGE yet??