GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Are you going to get the Third Generation GS??
Yeah I'll be getting the 3rd Generation GS
9.43%
No Way I love my 2nd Generation GS
90.57%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Are you getting the URGE yet??

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-06, 02:21 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
That is exactly the point I was making (and 1SICK also eluded to) that the 3rd didnt "blow the 2nd out of the water" as the 2nd did the 1st.
agreed.

that and it looks like a maxima.

blah!!! nissan!!
Old 05-06-06, 09:51 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Give me the 3rd gen any day. I love my 2nd GS 300 but that 3rd gen ain't no joke It just got a classy, sporty and sexy look about. The interior imo they're few cars in the world that can touch it. I have a 545 right now and I'll trade it for a 06 GS 300 right now for all you cats out there who said they will keep their 2nd GS over the 3rd GS that's on you but not me. MY vote for the 3rd gen. I would definitely be looking for one in the future.
Old 05-06-06, 09:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hameed
Despite it being better than a stock 2nd gen GS, it is still more luxury oriented than sport oriented.

Why could they have not made it more of a 5-series competitor? BMW has absolutely no problems selling boatloads of the 5 series. The 3rd gen GS cannot touch a Bimmer in the handling department.
Well Hameed, I think Lexus is being Lexus, not BMW. I honesty don't ever see a hardcore Lexus like a hardcore BMW. Its not Lexus style.

Lexus success has been on blending luxury and sport with reliability.

Considering the GS has the lowest power in class and sells between 3rd and 4th every month, 2k + sales, I think they have their market.

While it maybe popular on CL to mod our cars to handle better, brake better, most Lexus owners are not interested in that.
Old 05-06-06, 10:14 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well Hameed, I think Lexus is being Lexus, not BMW. I honesty don't ever see a hardcore Lexus like a hardcore BMW. Its not Lexus style.

Considering the GS has the lowest power in class and sells between 3rd and 4th every month, 2k + sales, I think they have their market.

While it maybe popular on CL to mod our cars to handle better, brake better, most Lexus owners are not interested in that.
I agree with 1Sick Lexus is more for luxury and looks the 2GS looks good but the 3rdGS is so sexy plus the women don't ask what your car does 0-60 and how it handles they go by the looks. It's like those guys in the gym that benches 450 lbs but have big guts against the guy who benches 225 but has the six pack the woman don't ask how much the guy benches but checks out that 6-pack.
Old 05-06-06, 10:17 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Die Hard 2nd Gen GS!!!

My vote is obvious as there is not many cars that has aged as graceful as the 2nd Gen GS - I own multi-vehicles and buy and trade quite frequently - My '99 GS400 is the longest car I have ever kept - Going on 7 plus years since I bought it new -.! Thats saying alot about my GS400 since i rarely keep any car more than 2 years.. .

Die Hard 2nd Gen GS!!
Old 05-06-06, 10:35 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
Give me the 3rd gen any day. I love my 2nd GS 300 but that 3rd gen ain't no joke It just got a classy, sporty and sexy look about. The interior imo they're few cars in the world that can touch it. I have a 545 right now and I'll trade it for a 06 GS 300 right now for all you cats out there who said they will keep their 2nd GS over the 3rd GS that's on you but not me. MY vote for the 3rd gen. I would definitely be looking for one in the future.
Why would u trade a 545i for a GS300?

As a 2 time owner of a 2nd Gen GS300, I think its one of the nicest designs of all time and it still looks amazing to me inside/out.
I like the 3rd Gen GS styling but not as much as the 2nd.......The front especially looks awkward with ugly chrome trim and weird shape headlights. Having said that, i feel it looks better than the current 5 series, E class, A6, & M45........especially with a drop and some wheels.

The area where Lexus really messed up is the performance part. It still handles like crap, no sport package available, its underpowered compared to the competition, and this is why its not selling well. The GS350/460 is gonna bring more power but the driving dynamics are still lacking. IMO the bottom line is Lexus has taken a step back with the 3rd Gen bec like others have stated its not that much of an improvement over the 2nd Gen.
Old 05-07-06, 07:21 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 311 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Agreed, Lexus does what it does best - make reliable, luxurious and boring to drive cars.

I did not mean to say that Lexus should be BMW (even though I said that in so many words). What I was really trying to say is that I wish Lexus had put just as much effort in the handling department as they did in the reliability department. Why is that such a nirvana?? Yes the average buyer does not care about handling - but it won't hurt the same buyer to have a car that handled better, so why not make that also a priority??
Old 05-07-06, 09:50 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Yes the average buyer does not care about handling - but it won't hurt the same buyer to have a car that handled better, :
it might because you can't make a car that is ultra cushy yet handles on rails. grandma won't go more than 25mph around a turn anyway.

I understand that Lexus makes cars that most of their buyers want, but they should offer special order sport models with MT,stiffer suspension and more hp.
Old 05-11-06, 01:07 PM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
I understand that Lexus makes cars that most of their buyers want, but they should offer special order sport models with MT,stiffer suspension and more hp.
With ya all the way. We can only wish and keep asking for it. Perhaps we'll see it some day.