GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Transmission Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-06, 09:03 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Transmission Problems?

I am just curious...has anyone had major transmission problems in their GS? I don't think I have ever seen a post where someone complained that they had to replace or overhaul their transmission, and I know many of you have '98s and '99s. For you pre-2002 GS owners, have you ever had major transmission problems? Some of you are probably approaching 200,000 miles and beyond, so I was just wondering how the cars held up...especially since many of you have e-shift which could produce a little more wear&tear on the tranny.
Old 05-03-06, 09:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i know of one guy who had to replace his tranny, but then again he drives like a mad man, very hard

other than that i haven't heard of any major tranny problems

we have 1 or 2 members with over 300k miles, don't think they replaced the trannies
Old 05-03-06, 09:26 AM
klynchgs4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you don't go FI, you shouldn't have any tranny problems...i've replaced my tranny twice but i drive the car hard and take it to the track a bit (power braking kills the t/c - blown t/c send metal thru the tranny and ruins your whole day)
Old 05-03-06, 10:54 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Cool. I sometimes dirve hard, power-braking once in a blue moon just to see the tires go up in smoke. I guess I'll try and contain myself.

Thanks for the info and advice.
Old 05-03-06, 04:10 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Just get an upgraded aftermarket TC, then you can powerbrake all day long without worrying about blowing it...lol
Old 05-03-06, 04:15 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know someone local that had to replace a gear (I think maybe 2nd gear) in his 98. The car had kind of low miles too for a 98 at about 80K maybe. No engine mods aside from maybe an intake. Other than that it was stock aside from the cosmetic body mods and rims.
Old 05-03-06, 06:20 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Just get an upgraded aftermarket TC, then you can powerbrake all day long without worrying about blowing it...lol
What's a TC? Aftermarket torque converter? If so, I already have one of them. I didn't realize this offered protection.
Old 05-04-06, 12:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

the other way.... aftermarket tc usually has higher stall speed so the tranny is actually much hotter.
Old 05-04-06, 05:38 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

99 GS400 w/151,000 miles on the odometer....not a single tranny problem experienced.
Old 05-04-06, 06:58 PM
phantastik
Driver School Candidate

new here lol me on the other hand had to replace my transmission. i took my car to aamco in virginia beach where i was living at the time because i felt a hard kick on the second gear well since i had a extended warranty i went throught with it at aam co they said that my oil was burned and that i need it a major piece that was gonna cost me around 2 grand so i was ok what is my next option he said that i can get another transmission from another gs that the warranty company was gonna send them so i went with that they still charged me like 700 dollars but the car works fine i still get the big kick and sencond gear here and there but other than that im fine with it.
Old 05-04-06, 07:14 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
the other way.... aftermarket tc usually has higher stall speed so the tranny is actually much hotter.
I thought that the aftermarket tc are usually built a lot stronger? Also, usually if you're at the point of having an aftermarket tc...don't you usually have a aftermarket tranny fluid cooler to go with it as well?
Old 05-04-06, 10:26 PM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

I have a friend that's been a Lexus tech for a while now, and he said that he's NEVER replaced a tranny on a V8 RWD Lexus.
Old 05-05-06, 12:35 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I thought that the aftermarket tc are usually built a lot stronger? Also, usually if you're at the point of having an aftermarket tc...don't you usually have a aftermarket tranny fluid cooler to go with it as well?
the tc is stronger, but it also makes everything else hotter. if you don't have good cooling (tranny cooler or so) you will burn up your tranny
Old 05-05-06, 12:43 AM
DynamicCK
Driver School Candidate

Mine used to shift irregularly after driving it hard. I changed it w/ redline ATF, but I used the high temp. It changed the shift points. It's really odd, under normal driving it was fine. For some reason on a slight decline road, it would rev out high and would not shift to a lower gear. As soon as the road flatten out, it would shift harder than normal. It would happened every time at almost the exact same location.
Old 05-05-06, 03:44 PM
smello12
Driver School Candidate

Currently I have 185,000 + miles on my 99 GS400, got her with 40,000, I had went to aamco to get a flush of the trans and he told me that he would not do it because the trans fluid was too dark and could cause it to slip he wouldn't even drain the fluid. He also said that the trans would fail in the fall, that was 2 years ago. I have since changed the fluid with no ill affects, and just added the PI TC, dang that thing is kicking now. But those trannys are built to last quite awhile. also getting my new rims on monday. The amazing thing is since Ive had the car in '01 I have had not one problem with the car.

Joe

Quick Reply: Transmission Problems?