GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need help with wheels bad!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-01, 10:24 PM
msray
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

email me at mikeray_2000@yahoo.com. I might be selling my 18" volk racing av3's and it would be a good way to save some cash buying used if your on a budget. I have pics if you dont know what it looks like.

Mike
Old 09-20-01, 03:23 AM
WHITEGS400
Rookie

Okay guys I came down to my final choice.

1) L-SPORTLINE MODEL I (do they onle come in 20's? as states in GT Autosports site?)

2) KRANZE CEREBUS (they loook niiiiiiiice)

3) Volk Racing AV3 (I dont know about these ones they just look too plain)

4) Momo Twin (from ebay.com)

Now I am stuck! Obviously the choice to go with is the ones that are within my budget, but what if money wasnt an option which ones would YOU go with I really want to hear from the WHEEL EXPERT people over here who know what they are talking about. Please manaray, globe and plenty of others respond to this question.
Old 09-20-01, 04:22 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

WHITEGS400, You still have not given a budget to work with. As far as I know the L-Sportline Model I's only come in 20's. A very nice wheel but REAL expensive. The Kranze Cerebus makes a one piece model now. That might be a good choice. At least it's their own design, unlike the Zenetti's. Speaking of Zenetti's, CSHFLW, that's fairly false statement about them.

"check out Zenetti wheels.....Nice designs, expensive looking, rare, and best of all are not very expensive"

More like "Stolen designs, chrome, fake multi-piece, tons of people have them, inexpensive because of previous reasons"

No offense to anyone that's running Zenetti's, they do LOOK good, but if I made any false statements about them then let me know.

CSHFLW, I'm not trying to f#ck with you, merely stating my opinion, and some facts.

Old 09-20-01, 04:29 AM
WHITEGS400
Rookie

Well the budget is definitely around $1,000 but like I said before I am willing to spend money for MY DREAM WHEELS, if I do find them. SO far L-Sportsline is the right fit for me, and the Kranze Cerebus look nice as well. But I will not get 20's, so thats the end of that However I do value your opinions and if you have something in mind that looks like those L-sportsline that would be great. I just want to see some pics of how they look on a gs.

Any ideas? And by the way the Zennith are definitely not my dream wheels, so im still looking....

Please help
Old 09-20-01, 09:20 AM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lsportline is top of line quality, and top of line PRICE, for that money I would like to get something forged tho! to get the right rims 3~4k is a must if you prefer size over 19.

Work Equip, AVS model 5. and WEDS.

Lowenhart is great too !!
Old 09-20-01, 11:21 AM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

I have never seen zenetti wheels ever on any car.....sorry
Old 09-20-01, 01:25 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Question What are the advantages of "good" wheels?

So we seem to talk about it but then dance around the topic. What are the real advantages of getting a good set of wheels?

I'm looking at Volk AV-3. Are they good? Why? Lighter, stronger, more durable finishes, the styling, rarity?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 09-20-01, 01:27 PM
lexpower
Driver School Candidate

Also check out www.wheelsboutique.com they got tuons of wheels and prices to give you an idea.
Old 09-20-01, 01:28 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

"good" for wheels is different to different people

for me "good" wheels versus "bad" wheels is like a rolex compaired to a casio...both tell time but one is clearly a better wheel, be it only becuse of brand
Old 09-20-01, 02:31 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

CSHFLW:

Actually you are making my point for me. In watch afficianado circles Rolex aren't deemed anything particularly spectacular, certainly better than casio but nothing spectacular. They made their name with Marketing. Watches like A. Lange & Sohne, Patek and others are the ones that are held in high regard for various reasons. Some of these are things like workmanship others are things like perceived exclusivity.

I totally agree this sort of thing is a personal preference and I think it's cool that someone wants to buy something because of the brand, or how it looks. This really gets to the heart of what my question is all about though. How do you measure better for wheels. If it's the ephemeral things like marketing, brand, etc... I can live without that. If it's the fact that they are stronger, lighter, better finished well then I need to find the ones I like in the price range I can afford that has the attributes I want. I'm sure it's a combination of the two but I'm curious what other people opinions on this topic are.

All IMHO and FWIW,

Peter
Old 09-20-01, 03:20 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

True about the rolex......But for the 99.9% of the populus, this isnt true......Same with wheels.....certain brands bring more "ohh" and "ahhh" then others....HRE wheels are nice and I absolutly adore them. But for most they are just chrome racing wheels. Size of wheel seems to bring the most attension. Also origanality in wheel design. All depends on the circle your in and what you personally want from your car. My chose is always Lowenhart. But on my BMW it's alittle different and I went with the German wheel Breyton.
Old 09-21-01, 01:14 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just my opinion...

Mr Johnson, ALRIGHT! Another watch afficiando! Do you ever go to www.timezone.com? I've tried to make comparisons of wheels to watches but few people understood...

Completely agree on your Rolex comment...all about marketing and hype...A. Lange...ahhh...love A.Lange...then again, I love many watches (Patek, Audemars, Vacheron, Breguet, IWC, Panerai, etc., etc...just to name a few)

Ok guys, sorry that I haven't been around for the past few days...I've been upgrading my computer(s) (upgraded the PC to a Soyo Dragon/1.4G Athlon and my G4 Mac just got a new 100Gig HD) and been out of town (just came back from Las Vegas for the 2002 Honda intro for Press/Dealers...motorcycle, watercrafts, ATVs and the announcement of their factory motorcycle race teams...no cars...they have a TURBO CHARGED Watercraft [Seadoo-type]...TASTY!)...email me if you guys want to know more (plus I have photos and such)

Anyways, getting on to the wheel thing...hmmm, I think we really need a FAQ on wheels...

WhiteGS400 - When you say $1000, is that PER wheel (with or w/o tires) or for a SET with or w/o tires? If it's per SET, you can might want to save a LOT more before you start looking...for $1000, you'll be lucky to get some decent used wheels. $3000-$5000 is a more realistic price range (especially if you're looking to do 19's or 20's). Like Zushwa said, take your time. Don't rush it because you'll always screw up if you rush it.

Zenetti's (nice designs because they're all someone else's designs!) are crap, Giovannas are crap....I would rather run stock 16's than put that kind of crap on my GS (Sorry Biggie! I still love ya!)...good brands are HRE, Fikse, Kinesis, Work, AVS/Advan/Yokohama, Weds, SSR, Rays/Volk, etc...and just because wheels are made in Japan, Italy, Kenya (where ever) doesn't automatically make then good. Also, not ALL wheels by a particular brand are necessarily good...like Manaray Sport wheels...they make some great wheels but they also sell some low end wheels that are made in Taiwan (Vertec series)...granted, they're made better than Zenetti's...but that's not saying much...

Also, I'm not a big fan of chrome...they're heavy, they chip and generally, I'm not into the rap star look...I think it's cheezy...

What makes a good wheels depends on who you ask. For me, a "good" wheel is one that is made well by a reputable company and by a company that doesn't knock-off other wheels. There are various types of wheels...1, 2, 3-piece wheels...forged, billet, cast wheels...spoke, mesh, dish wheels, etc.

Of the four you picked, I would take the Weds Kranzes (1-piece 18")...but I also love gsintentive's pick (also a favorite of mine) for the AVS Model 5's.

The best thing to do is just spend on month or so looking and reading...check out the Gallery, check out websites, etc., etc...then make a decision. Don't make a overnight decision that you may regret...

Also, I don't recommend "cross-branding"...don't put AMG, Brabus, Carlsson, Lorinser, Hartge, AC Schnitzer, ABT, Oettinger, Breyton, Hamann, etc. wheels on your Lexus...those are brand specific tuners that specialize in either Mercedes, BMW, or VW/Audi...

CSHFLW - FYI, most of HRE's wheels are NOT chrome. They don't recommend chrome because it chips and they add unnecessary weight. If they're shiney, they're high polished...
Old 09-21-01, 09:50 AM
GSman
Pole Position

Manaray,

Any comments on wheels by Dronell? I am looking for a clean 5-spoke with a deep highly polished lip without any rivets and only 5 holes in the center for the lugs. Probably either a high disk 1 or 2 piece forged in 18x8.5, 18x10. I found this one by Dronell but I was wondering if there are any others I should look be considering?

Thanks,
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-01, 10:16 AM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Just my opinion...

Originally posted by manaray

CSHFLW - FYI, most of HRE's wheels are NOT chrome. They don't recommend chrome because it chips and they add unnecessary weight. If they're shiney, they're high polished...
Yes, you are correct, but my point is that the "public" will think they are shinny chrome racing wheels. You and I will know they are most likey polished.
Old 09-21-01, 11:45 AM
msray
Pole Position

i have to disagree with manaray. zennetti are not crap. I had mine on for over a year and was very ruff on them...when i took them off and put them on my Moms solara i had the tire shop check to see if they were straight and they were...not one single bend from all the pots holes i had hit over the past year. I cant say that about my Volks. I had to have them repaired after 2 months. Dont get me wrong i dont aim for the pot holes but they are around along with other road hazards for wheels. My zenettis where very strong. Stolen design?? who cares Ive heard people say the GS headlights are a stolen design. Even if thats true its still by far my favorite one. Do you personally have expierence with zenetti or are you just basing this from what people have told you or price?

Mike

Quick Reply: Need help with wheels bad!