GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How Good is a 98 GS300 ? Owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-06, 03:18 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,334 Likes on 1,059 Posts
Default How Good is a 98 GS300 ? Owners

I am looking at buying a clean 1999 GS300. Its only got 65K. It's Black with light Tan interior. It's last service was the 60K service at the Lexus dealer and the service history appears to be good.

Of the owners or previous owners that have had the GS300, I would like to know how reliable the 300 motor is and how many miles is good for with proper services ? Thanks.
Old 05-03-06, 03:31 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to do a search, I just searched "most miles" and came up w/ this.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hall-of-fame-and-voting-booth/70154-most-miles-on-your-lexus.html
Old 05-05-06, 12:13 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by V8_Aristo
You might want to do a search, I just searched "most miles" and came up w/ this.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70154
Thanks but this was not what I was looking for. I looked at the link, but that only had 1 or GS3's and they were not high miliage cars.

I wanted to know if the GS3 from 98 up had any know problems and if they were good for 300k + miles like the 1UZFE. And what some high milage owner thought of the car.
Old 05-05-06, 01:31 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This topic is discussed weekly..... it's a Toyota. If you are uneasy about buying a used Toyota, buy one that's in warranty.
Old 05-05-06, 01:38 PM
minty99z
Pole Position

The car is built like a tank. When I worked at Lexus, the GS' had the least amount of problems of ALL the cars period. It will drive forever if you take care of it.
Old 05-05-06, 01:43 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think a 2jz will last much longer than a 1uz in the long run, but both with proper care will last over 200+ easy.
Old 05-05-06, 02:28 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Originally Posted by jgscott
Thanks but this was not what I was looking for. I looked at the link, but that only had 1 or GS3's and they were not high miliage cars.

I wanted to know if the GS3 from 98 up had any know problems and if they were good for 300k + miles like the 1UZFE. And what some high milage owner thought of the car.
The GS300, IS300 and SC300 all have the same motor, as you can see from the link I gave, there's a few people in there at 200K+. Like some people already told you, these motors are built to last, Toyota engineers won't build one motor to last longer than others. I know some motors might fall through the cracks (like the 7MG with the head gasket), but over all Toyota motors are built strong.
Old 05-05-06, 02:38 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

200k miles is easy to reach nowadays. It's nothing amazing anymore. Most american brand cars are able to get 200k. Now getting to 300k is a different story. If the 2jz engine had problem, Toyota would have cut production when the 2nd gen was introduced in 1997 (as a 98 model). Still today, you do not hear "oh those 2jz are notorious for crackin heads at 120k miles ()
Old 05-05-06, 03:38 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
200k miles is easy to reach nowadays. It's nothing amazing anymore. Most american brand cars are able to get 200k. Now getting to 300k is a different story. If the 2jz engine had problem, Toyota would have cut production when the 2nd gen was introduced in 1997 (as a 98 model). Still today, you do not hear "oh those 2jz are notorious for crackin heads at 120k miles ()
agreed. i have 110k on my 1998 gs3 and it's still running strong. major repairs were lower control arms, ball joints, tie rod ends, timing belt...

basically stuff that ANY CAR would need. what you'll find out is that your mods will cost more than the repairs, and that's a good problem to have...
Old 05-05-06, 06:10 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrownDuckz
This topic is discussed weekly..... it's a Toyota. If you are uneasy about buying a used Toyota, buy one that's in warranty.
1. Do you own a high mileage GS300 ? Read the title again. I did not ask if this is discussed weekly, if its a Toyota, or if I was uneasy, should I buy a warranty. You see any of those questions there ???????

2. What made you have to respond with useless info ? These kinda post never help anyone. Read the title again. Off topic. Kinda reads like you have a attitude.

3. Spare me with the orders of what I should do and what I should not, and now that you had your little post please don't mess up my thread with anymore Flaming.

Last edited by jgscott; 05-05-06 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-05-06, 06:14 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by V8_Aristo
The GS300, IS300 and SC300 all have the same motor, as you can see from the link I gave, there's a few people in there at 200K+. Like some people already told you, these motors are built to last, Toyota engineers won't build one motor to last longer than others. I know some motors might fall through the cracks (like the 7MG with the head gasket), but over all Toyota motors are built strong.
Thanks Aristo. I did not know that the IS had the same motor. I had seen post about the head gasket and 1 or 2 other little things and just wanted some opinions from owners with high mileage. This is very helpful. Any other 2J owners with high milage please feel free to comment.

Last edited by jgscott; 05-05-06 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-06-06, 06:20 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
1. Do you own a high mileage GS300 ? Read the title again. I did not ask if this is discussed weekly, if its a Toyota, or if I was uneasy, should I buy a warranty. You see any of those questions there ???????

2. What made you have to respond with useless info ? These kinda post never help anyone. Read the title again. Off topic. Kinda reads like you have a attitude.

3. Spare me with the orders of what I should do and what I should not, and now that you had your little post please don't mess up my thread with anymore Flaming.

Don't get your pannies in an up roar jgscott.. As a newer member we try to get everyone to use the search feature as most of the questions are answered there.. BTW i don't think the that comment was flaming.. You just took it the wrong way.. Besides this thread should be closed.. The topic is self explanatory... Its a damn TOYOTA...
Old 05-06-06, 07:59 AM
V300Altus
Driver

Default 147K and some change on 98 GS3

Purchase this used 5 months ago and have put about 3k miles on it since I had it. I have not had any major problems with it so far and do not expect to. There have been some minor things like interior rattles and I can not see anything on the front of the radio (radio station, CD disk I am on etc). I have searched ebay and there is a guy that sells a fix for the radio (Non issue). The rattles are only on bumpy roads but it does have some miles on and it is 8 years old. This might be more of an issue if I decide to put rims and low profile tires on later. Non issue becuase you have to way practicality/driveability to looks. Gas mileage is about 300 miles on a full tank high way. Not sure if that is good or not for a lexus GS3 but I used to have a EVO so I think it is good. The car had the scheduled repairs like timing belts. I was worried about getting a high mileage car and I understand your need for info. It is true "It is a Toyota" and they advertise this on in the truck commercials. Other Sources
J.D. Powers (okay review but not really up to date) http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/relia...s300gs400_1998
Edmonds (better review from 20 owners with good details)
http://www.edmunds.com/used/1998/lex...dex...1.Lexus*
These are just a few sources. Good luck.
Old 05-06-06, 11:10 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Don't get your pannies in an up roar jgscott.. As a newer member we try to get everyone to use the search feature as most of the questions are answered there.. BTW i don't think the that comment was flaming.. You just took it the wrong way.. Besides this thread should be closed.. The topic is self explanatory... Its a damn TOYOTA...
Just so you know, I did search and most threads were cludered with post like your, that were off topic, No help to thread title and useless. Think about this...... When someone searched for GS300 info next time, and they see this thread. Ask yourself what did you add by your above post to the info. How will your post help anybody ?

OK " Newer Member " Woah ! Lets see... you joined 5 months before me but have 2647 post. Reason why you have 2647 + post is because you just post Crap like " Don't get your Panties in an up roar " . I'm not going to sling mud with you but..... . PS I've owned Lexus from 1992. Been reading Club Lexus for 2 1/2 years. Joined 5 moths after you.

I will ask why if I asked for " GS300 owners opinions" you post this insulting rule breaking BS and then use the words " Members ". Were you just compulsed to type to get expert opinnion post # 2648 ?? Just let the GS300 owners post their knowledge of the car PLEASE that was all I asked. Seems like each time a thread gets OFF Topic post this happens.
Old 05-06-06, 11:47 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I do find it funny that many occassion I would need to find a specific topic and all there is in that thread is "use the search function". I already am! I keep digging into the search and find myself in a loophole.

Quick Reply: How Good is a 98 GS300 ? Owners