GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Torque wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-06, 05:44 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathancl
Driving a Lexus and trying to save $25 on a torque wrench?

Maybe you need a Civic.
Hmm. I don't think that was directed at me, but what's wrong with saving $25?
Old 05-05-06, 06:06 PM
ATLien
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you need a Civic.
Gotta say that saving money is ALWAYS a good thing no matter what ya drive. When I think of saving a buck......I just get so dang tingly inside . I think I'll go roll some coins LOL.
Old 05-05-06, 08:37 PM
csq860
Pole Position

Maybe you need a Civic.
What an odd idea, just because a person drives a Lexus they should be wasteful with money or pass up a good deal? Heck for lots of people finding good deals here and there is what enabled them to buy a Lexus in the first place! Maybe I'll head to Sears tomorrow and ask them to let me know when the torque wrench goes back to regular price, cuz I drive a Lexus ya see.
Old 05-06-06, 02:24 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OK guys...calm down.

Jonathancl....I guess not everyone is as fortunate as yourself in which price of an item does NOT matter. In todays world, with the rising price of gas, oil, maintenance, insurance, registration fees, taxes, etc.....saving $25 makes a difference. Your comment about the needing a Civic is out of line..imo.

OK, lets get back the subject matter please.

Pete
Old 05-06-06, 11:22 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
Now you tell me.

Do you think I'm better off with a standard socket and an extension or a deep well socket? I think there are pros and cons for both, but what do you think?

e

I like to use the minimum tools for any job. The key is does the standard socket bottom out on the lug nut. If not, with the extension, you're far enough away from the wheel and tire not to rub while making the torque measurement. The extension will not effect the measurement of 75 Ft Lbs pressure you're working with. Using the deep well socket, there is no concern of bottoming the lugnut. I like the 6 point design socket over the 12 point socket; it handles the torque with less stress on the nut.

If it does bottom out on the lugnut, aside from scratching the top, the socket may not have a good seating on the flats of the nut. This may slip and round off, damaging the lugnut.

Lastly, a gentle reminder to store the torque wrench set at it's lowest setting, as not to weaken or miscalibrate the release spring that guages the torque...
Old 05-06-06, 01:29 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tammy
I like to use the minimum tools for any job. The key is does the standard socket bottom out on the lug nut. If not, with the extension, you're far enough away from the wheel and tire not to rub while making the torque measurement. The extension will not effect the measurement of 75 Ft Lbs pressure you're working with. Using the deep well socket, there is no concern of bottoming the lugnut. I like the 6 point design socket over the 12 point socket; it handles the torque with less stress on the nut.

If it does bottom out on the lugnut, aside from scratching the top, the socket may not have a good seating on the flats of the nut. This may slip and round off, damaging the lugnut.

Lastly, a gentle reminder to store the torque wrench set at it's lowest setting, as not to weaken or miscalibrate the release spring that guages the torque...
I'm with you on using the minimum amount of tools. And, I agree with your point about the standard socket bottoming out on the top of the lug nut and scratching it. However, wouldn't there be an equally, potentially more damaging issue with a deep well socket in that it could bottom out on the inner portion of the rim at the base where the lug nut sits? In other words, if you insert a deep well socket so that it covers the lug nut completely, how can you be sure that it's not touching the wheel at the bottom of the lug nut hole (IAGS400 warned me about this). Any thoughts?

Last edited by e-man; 05-06-06 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-06-06, 01:34 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Hey guys. Just to be sure, I went over to Home Depot today to check out the Husky torque wrench and to compare it to the Craftsman. The 1/2 inch Husky torque wrench was huge. I didn't have the Craftsman with me, so I couldn't compare it, but it seemed much longer and heavier (which might be a good thing, I really don't know). The price of the Husky was $69.99. The sales price on the Craftsman was $48 (less the $15 for signing up for a Sears Mastercard), so it came to $33. I don't know. It seems to me that for those of us who will be changing our rims out once or twice a year, the Craftsman, at about 1/2 the price of the Husky, is definitely adequate.

By the way, Home Depot did not have any stand-alone 21 mm sockets (standard or deep), although they might have had some in large socket sets. Hope this helps.

e
Old 05-06-06, 04:35 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
Hey guys. Just to be sure, I went over to Home Depot today to check out the Husky torque wrench and to compare it to the Craftsman. The 1/2 inch Husky torque wrench was huge. I didn't have the Craftsman with me, so I couldn't compare it, but it seemed much longer and heavier (which might be a good thing, I really don't know). The price of the Husky was $69.99. The sales price on the Craftsman was $48 (less the $15 for signing up for a Sears Mastercard), so it came to $33. I don't know. It seems to me that for those of us who will be changing our rims out once or twice a year, the Craftsman, at about 1/2 the price of the Husky, is definitely adequate.

By the way, Home Depot did not have any stand-alone 21 mm sockets (standard or deep), although they might have had some in large socket sets. Hope this helps.

e
E, I looked at both the Husky and the Craftsman and I thought they looked about the same. I went with the Craftsman because it was on sale and like you, I really only use it for my wheels. I say go with the Craftsman and save the money for some other tools. I am heading to Sears in a little while to get a new multimeter and a smaller torque wrench for working on my bike.
Old 05-07-06, 04:39 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Read this then go your money back.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1170913

BTW, I have plenty of Craftsman tools, lawn care, air compressor, tons of hand tools. Just not buying another one of their torque wrenches. I bought a Harbor all metal torque wrench for $13. Next time I do any engine work I'm buying a Snap-On.

If you're into saving money, here's one just as good as the Craftsman for less than 1/3 the price of the Craftsman:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...itemnumber=239

If all you do are wheels, this one will last longer than the Craftsman and work just as well.
Old 05-07-06, 09:43 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will stick with my Craftsman. Everything I have bought from Harbor Freight is now in the junk yard. I would never ever trust anything from Harbor Freight, especially a torque wrench. Just my opinion based on my previous experience with their stuff. I have never had a Craftsman tool fail but I am not rebuilding engines or anything. I think everyone should stick with what they know, have used in the past or what they can afford. I would buy Snap-on stuff if it was something I would be using everyday but I am not a mechanic and my Craftsman stuff has served me well.
Old 05-07-06, 09:50 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lexus lug nuts have a washer at their bottoms; where they meet the wheel. The deep well socket bottoms on this washer rather than the wheel itself. Without the washer, the steel lug nut would gouge into the aluminum wheel and damage it. With it, the steel lug nut grinds into the steel washer which presses evenly into the wheel without damage.
Old 05-07-06, 09:56 AM
Vette Boy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TexasGS
I will stick with my Craftsman...Just my opinion based on my previous experience with their stuff...and my Craftsman stuff has served me well.
There's a wealth of experience in the corvette forum thread, if you chose to join the "My Craftman Torque Wrench Broke and It Isn't Under Warrenty" club, you'll be in good company. How do you join? Buy one and wait, you'll be in soon enough
Old 05-07-06, 12:13 PM
G430
Driver

Originally Posted by joshoowa
i love my torque wrench i think mines a husky brand... cant remember been so long.

keep it in the trunk for tires or if u need some weight to bash someones head in.

i also keep a set of 1/2 sockets and wrench, never know when you might need more
i like i like that a good idea eh?!!?
Old 05-07-06, 03:12 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tammy
Lexus lug nuts have a washer at their bottoms; where they meet the wheel. The deep well socket bottoms on this washer rather than the wheel itself. Without the washer, the steel lug nut would gouge into the aluminum wheel and damage it. With it, the steel lug nut grinds into the steel washer which presses evenly into the wheel without damage.
Thanks Tammy. That makes sense.