GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

L-Tuned Suspension Noises

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-01, 06:56 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As much as I love the way the GS430 looks and handles with the new suspension...and I do, I really do (I'm REALLY surprised that I notice and LIKE the 1-inch drop)... I'm not happy with the noises that are coming out of the underbody.

It doesn't happen at speed or in the twisties or when the suspension is under load. It happens as I enter and leave my rather steep driveway and as I slooowly go over speedbumps and any other time the suspension goes from a loaded to an unloaded condition. It doesn't sound like the suspension is being fully compressed and the bump stop is hitting. It sounds like something is loose and free to move around.

Anyway, next week it goes back in the shop to be looked at. No problem from the dealer. My service rep didn't blink, just made the appointment. He's cool about this. Last time I picked up my car we went for a ride with him driving and me encouraging him to put his foot into it and enjoy the ride...so we get along great.

Anyhow, hopefully he'll find the problem and I'll be able to give some of you others who are experiencing L-Tuned noises some info on what may be causing it.

Old 09-18-01, 07:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Marty, I think mine does the same thing - but I've long since tuned out (of me) the occasional noise at slow speed I hear.

Did you use the stock shock bumpers or the L-Tuned ones? I have the L-Tuned ones while others have used the stock ones which some have claimed meant they don't have these noises.
Old 09-18-01, 07:08 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My suspension also has that stupid noise comming out of it every time I hit a speed bump I used the L-tuned stumps on it too I guess its a flaw in the way it was designed or something but if there is a fix please do tell

and is it me or does the front shocks seem loser than the rear ones I feal alitle more bounce to them than I do the rear
Old 09-18-01, 07:16 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Bit,

I assume (possible problem here I know ) that they used the L-Tuned bump stops. I didn't tell them which ones to use. But this isn't happening at full compression as you'd expect with the bump stop. It's happening at off-load on-load when the shock is extended and just beginning to compress. It's as if they didn't tighten something enough.

And it's not occassional. It happens every time I leave my house. So I'll have them check it out and see what they come up with.

BTW, I plan to call you tomorrow about setting up this Sunday's ECU party with 1SICKLEX. I'm thinking about early afternoon. Talk to you tomorrow.

Old 09-18-01, 09:21 PM
Mark
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had similar problem with my L-Tune suspensions. I bought them for Steve at Carson Toyota and I had Lexus of Greenwich do the installation. After they installed the suspension my right rear was making the noise you have descried. I took it back to the dealership and the technician fixed the problem—he said that there was moister in the springs?????????. Please do not live with the noise. There is a problem with the installation. Please have your installer correct the problem. It makes drive our GS much more fun.
Old 09-18-01, 09:36 PM
JWgs430
Rookie

had the same problem with my 430. I emailed l tuned about it and they told me to take it back to the dealer and have them reinstall EXACTLY as the directions state(aparently the order in which the shocks/springs are assembled matter). Since then I have had no noise coming from the suspension.
Old 09-19-01, 10:01 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Marty, does it seem to be getting noisier?? There has (also) been a problem with the front swaybar mounting bracket loosening (mine has done so twice now), which, though it doesn't affect the way the car drives, sounds like the front end is about to depart. However, takes a couple of days to come up to full thrash mode.......just another thought.

Hope yours is rectified quickly.
Old 09-19-01, 11:44 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

mooretorque,

No, it'a not getting noisier. I picked up on the thead about the front sway bolts being loose and had the shop check them when the suspension was installed. The shop said they were tight so I don't think that's the problem.
Old 09-19-01, 08:40 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

LTuned right rear shock makes a slight noise going over speed breakers (small bumps .. low speed) from day one of install. Intend to get it replaced at next service.

Marty: If you are willing to test, I can mail you the stock ECU (the one I removed).

Salim
Old 09-20-01, 09:19 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by salimshah
Marty: If you are willing to test, I can mail you the stock ECU (the one I removed)
I've got the original GS430 steering ECU in the car now and the L-tuned ECU in the shipping bag and will do the comparison test this weekend. Hope to have comparison results to post next week.