GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

i changed my oil and now have some serious problems..

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-06, 10:58 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rbeermann
thanks guys...i will try all of this. i guess the reason why i used this additive is because it did wonders with my eclipse that i used to have...but what works for one car can kill another.

i'm thinking about doing one more oil change just in case if that additive has settled to the bottom of the oil pan. would you guys do this? better safe than sorry

For sure. Another oil change should get rid of the remaining additive. Remember, the purpose of the additive is to get in all the nooks and crannys of the motor. You need to flush it well.
Old 05-08-06, 11:00 PM
rbeermann
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as always, you guys are awesome. thanks for all the feedback~
Old 05-08-06, 11:46 PM
salimshah

Received 1,063 Likes on 957 Posts

lately, my car was feeling kinda sluggish on the acceleration and thought it would help. i got some high miles on my car, and i'm sure it was never done before
So the warnings could be due to:

What ever was causing the sluggishness before oil change, manifested it self now.

Additive caused the problem.

During oil change some sensor(s) got knocked off.

After not so wise thing, you did the wise thing to drain out the oil. I would do another drain and fill after 100 miles or so. Dont forget to replace the filter.

Trip to get the error codes read is needed.

Good luck.

Salim
Old 05-09-06, 12:43 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LXOGOOD
My guess is that when you added an additional 1/2 quart (19 oz.) or so of the Engine Restorer along with the 5 quarts of motor oil , it caused you to overfil the motor with fluid. The engine restorer has a thicker consistancy than the motor oil which could have caused the check engine light.

I agree with member chpsk8. Since you drained the oil and replaced it, next thing I would do is disconnec the battery. Then start the car and let it run for a bit. See if the CEL goes away. Good luck.
I was just about to say the same thing....max 5 quarts....thus you overfilled. Remove negative battery cable for a few minutes...then re-connect....CEL and VSC should be reset.

Good luck.

Pete
Old 05-09-06, 05:31 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with all the guys suggestion. That restorer stuff is like thick blue wax. It will clog up your motor. I am not a believer in engine additives period. Have the mtor flushed out via a Bilstein machine to get all the crap out. Then put in some fresh motor oil and the car will be as good as new
Old 05-09-06, 10:46 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

You guys fill with 5qts? The LS takes 6. I thought they were exactly the same engine.

SO now i can walk around and say my 1UZ has more oil then your 1UZ
Old 05-09-06, 10:59 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
You guys fill with 5qts? The LS takes 6. I thought they were exactly the same engine.

SO now i can walk around and say my 1UZ has more oil then your 1UZ
Mine took 6 quarts of Amsoil and it is not overfilled.
Old 05-09-06, 11:35 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since you're worried about some buildup that has fallen to the oil pan, I would suggest pulling the pan and making sure it's free of residual carbon build up from your engine.

Hypothetically, the drain and fills may not pull everything out the first few times.
Old 05-09-06, 01:09 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Its weird.. On my GS300 i use 6 1/4 quart of Mobil 1 every since i own the car. (4.5 years) and never overfilled. Am i putting in too much oil or i'm okay?

Tommy
Old 05-09-06, 02:43 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexus GS3
Its weird.. On my GS300 i use 6 1/4 quart of Mobil 1 every since i own the car. (4.5 years) and never overfilled. Am i putting in too much oil or i'm okay?

Tommy

Tommy, your fine. 5-6 quarts is normal for our cars. 5 quarts might be a little low on the dip stick but would not cause a problem. 6 quarts puts you at the full line. My only point is that that the additive is a much thicker consistancy which could act like more oil causing the engine to work harder. If the CEL lights weren't on before the oil change and came on after the oil change, logic states that something had to happen during the oil change. My guess is that the additive caused something to set a sensor off.
Old 05-09-06, 05:24 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Oh no Ken.. I would never use any sort of additive, b/c my good friend said additives are just a scam and sometimes make your engine run worse. He's a ASE certified mechanic for over 15 years. So i trust him and he told me as long as i keep changing oil every 4k to 5k and use mobil 1 the engine will last forever.
Old 05-09-06, 05:35 PM
rbeermann
Pole Position

so i drove the car around today a little bit after the oil change, and it hasn't gotten any better. the car starts hesitating after about two or so miles, and i am forced to pull over and let the engine cool down. what would be the best way to get the remaining additive out of my engine?
Old 05-09-06, 05:46 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

so i drove the car around today a little bit after the oil change, and it hasn't gotten any better. the car starts hesitating after about two or so miles, and i am forced to pull over and let the engine cool down. what would be the best way to get the remaining additive out of my engine?
I said it before. The Bilstein machine. Here is info on it http://www.motorlife.com/pages/efsys_r2000_machine.asp
Old 05-09-06, 05:57 PM
rbeermann
Pole Position

thanks dashocker. you think that most reputable shops would have this machine?
Old 05-09-06, 06:02 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

thanks dashocker. you think that most reputable shops would have this machine?
Yes they should. Some Lexus dealers have them too You will have to make some phone calls and shop around for the best price. It is a simple procedure. The machine does all the work. You will be pleased after the service. After you get it done, give us feedback

Quick Reply: i changed my oil and now have some serious problems..