GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

L-Tuned Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-01, 11:03 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default L-Tuned Muffler

Hey all,

Well after Summitt cancelled my Borla order through Borderfree.com I got pissed and called one of the L-tuned parts depots here in the Toronto region (Erin Park Lexus) and they were super anxious to sell me the L-Tuned muffler as long as they could take before and after pics for advertising.. Long story short they gave me a deal I couldn't refuse so they installed it yesterday.. Great sound but it took them some fiddling to get the exhausts centered up correctly.. So my question is for the guys/gals who have gotten the L-Tuned muffler did they have any issues during install.. My limited knowledge it seems the manufacturer of the muffler could of bent the pipes a degree or so more then they would have no issues but what do I know..

I'll post pics when I can pry the car out of the wife's hands.. For the folks that are worried about noise with L-Tuned muffler it is just a very nice rumble when you are city driving (Now it sounds like a V8).. At highway speed it is hardly noticable..

Got to update my signature soon.. BTW the SC430 rocks been driving it too much and not spending any time here on CL.. I'll post pics of the silver beast in the SC430 forum soon..

Take care!

Last edited by 2SAVVY; 09-19-01 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-19-01, 12:34 PM
GSman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had mine also installed at the dealer and they had no problems. Looks and sounds great!
Old 09-19-01, 06:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,620 Posts

I have the L-Tuned exhaust and love it. Once in a while I feel it's a bit loud on part throttle around 2000rpm and low speed, but at WOT it sounds incredible.

As far as positionining/installation, my left/right tips weren't quite the same height, and the dealer tried to adjust it and it's close but still not exactly the same, but I'm ok with it.

As far as the install goes though, it's CAKE compared to the Borla because it uses the stock hangers. The Borla install is strange because it includes a new hanger altogether.

After looking at the Borla a bit more closely, I really feel the L-Tuned muffler is higher quality, especially the chrome tips.

FYI, I use some Mother's polish to shine up the tips once in a while - works great.
Old 09-19-01, 08:31 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bit,

Thanks for your thoughts on the L-Tuned muffler and I totally agree at WOT it is super sweet.. However on my muffler the tips are stainless steel.. I just checked again and for sure they are stainless.. Maybe they changed the design along the way.. I cracked open my Zaino package and used some Z2.. Worked pretty good but a metal polish like mothers would probably do a better job..

As for the Borla exhaust I did read that it is more labour intensive to install but considering the retail price is $100+ less than the L-Tuned it is also a good choice.. Same dealership that I got my muffler wants to install the L-Tuned suspension and ECU and possibly work me a deal to get it installed for free if they can use the car for a day to train certain TRD/L-Tuned installers in the Toronto region.. Still pondering this deal thou.. Don't want them screwing up the wifes car and then having her whine at me for god knows how long.. Its a smoking deal to say the least.. The parts I would get at a very deep discount and installed for free.. What would you do??

Last edited by 2SAVVY; 09-19-01 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-20-01, 04:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally posted by 2SAVVY
The parts I would get at a very deep discount and installed for free.. What would you do??
GO FOR IT! If it's a dealer, even if there's a problem they'll want to fix it.