GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What are the exact measurements of the trunk key hole?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-06, 11:28 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK Hameed, you brought the pressure on yourself now bro.... we are gonna expect a nice DIY writeup for this project.
Old 05-14-06, 04:51 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Did your install require any metal cutting Lexbox?
Did you ever find out the the measurements you wee looking for. I just took my trunk panel apart and puled out the key latch. I have thought about doing putting a camera in but was never able to get any one tat had any pic of how they installed their camera.

My questions is how do you secure the camera in the hole because it is not a snug fit the stock key cylinder mounts in an oval hole about 23mm x 35mm.
Secondly, when you unscrew your lock assembly how do you secure it so that it will still function w/ the inside lever or remote. It looks like if you move the key cylinder to far form the hole the latch won't activate smoothly.???

If you have not taken yours out yet I can shoot some pics.
Old 05-14-06, 07:22 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 310 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by ebruce2
OK Hameed, you brought the pressure on yourself now bro.... we are gonna expect a nice DIY writeup for this project.
Yes I can feel the pressure indeed! I will definitely do a detailed write-up with pics when I do this hopefully next weekend!

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
Did you ever find out the the measurements you wee looking for.
Based on the link that ebruce sent me of the camera that Lexbox purchased it appears to be 27 mm approximately.

I just took my trunk panel apart and puled out the key latch. I have thought about doing putting a camera in but was never able to get any one tat had any pic of how they installed their camera. My questions is how do you secure the camera in the hole because it is not a snug fit the stock key cylinder mounts in an oval hole about 23mm x 35mm.
Are you absolutely sure about the inside diameter measurement to be 35mm? I just bought this camera - which is 30 mm on the inside diameter http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HQ-CC...QQcmdZViewItem
Hopefully I will be able to fit this in without any major issues.
Secondly, when you unscrew your lock assembly how do you secure it so that it will still function w/ the inside lever or remote. It looks like if you move the key cylinder to far form the hole the latch won't activate smoothly.???
Hmmmm............ I really don't know the answer to this. I guess I will find out soon enough.
If you have not taken yours out yet I can shoot some pics.
Yes, please post them up here.
Old 05-15-06, 04:15 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Hameed, After looking at it a the lock assembly again , there is no problem leaving the locking mechanisim in . I was wrong I thought that the wire going to the key lock cycinder was was what trigered it for the inside latch. That wire must be for the alarm system.

check out the pic of the key hole & you see what I mean by it is oval 23ish mm x 35mm The camera you are geting will work because ( if your getting the smaller one) the main barrel part is 24mm and the end cap is 30mm. The stock lock is ( the barrel section) 23mmx 57mm.

back side of lock

trunk bar off see oval shape of key hole

lock cylinder out

back of key hole

See how lock sticks out at an angle

Last edited by GILLEXUS; 05-15-06 at 04:18 AM.
Old 05-15-06, 04:35 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Thanks Gillexus for posting up those pics!

So taking out the lock cylinder was just simply a matter of taking out those two 10mm bolts? And I guess the alarm wire stays there?
Old 05-15-06, 04:44 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribing to this thread. I have wanted to do this for a while and really want to do it myself. Great info so far
Old 05-15-06, 08:17 AM
chrisleX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

other options here - - - http://www.mitocorp.com/flash/backupcameras.htm
Old 05-16-06, 03:50 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Thanks Gillexus for posting up those pics!

So taking out the lock cylinder was just simply a matter of taking out those two 10mm bolts? And I guess the alarm wire stays there?
Yes. and clipping the red clip to detatch the rod going to the latch. I don't others that have done this do w/ the lock assembly, I guess totally remove it ??
I assume the wire goest ot the alarm system that is the only thing I can think it can it is. sets off te alarm if the trunk is opened via th elock when it is set ?? more pics

Here is a camera I thought about looks decent goes on top of license plate by Vizualogic. I only found one place selling it w/o the monitor kit for $245.

This one looks alright. this route you don't have to mess w/ trunk lock but it does not look as nice and low key as the key hole camera

Last edited by GILLEXUS; 05-16-06 at 03:53 AM.
Old 05-16-06, 04:13 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
subscribing to this thread. I have wanted to do this for a while and really want to do it myself. Great info so far
Same here I don't even have my video system in yet but a bought a bullet style camera awhile bace because I wanted to do this. every time I post up question asking how people did there they did not have any pics or some one else did it for them.

I was really curious as to what was behind the trunk key. so I just decided finally see for sure.
I'll see what Hameed comes up wtih as for as securing his camera in place.

Be carefull taking the emergency trunk lever molding off. I almost broke it trying to pry it off. I'll snap some pics of it . It really helps to see how the clips are facing on it first.
Old 05-16-06, 04:54 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Same here I don't even have my video system in yet but a bought a bullet style camera awhile bace because I wanted to do this. every time I post up question asking how people did there they did not have any pics or some one else did it for them.

I was really curious as to what was behind the trunk key. so I just decided finally see for sure.
I'll see what Hameed comes up wtih as for as securing his camera in place.

Be carefull taking the emergency trunk lever molding off. I almost broke it trying to pry it off. I'll snap some pics of it . It really helps to see how the clips are facing on it first.
Thanks Gillexus, those are some excellent pics you posted up.

Obviously the trunk lever still has to stay there after the camera is installed otherwise how would one open the trunk? Hmmmm..... this is not as straightforward as I thought it would be.
Old 05-16-06, 09:18 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks Gillexus, those are some excellent pics you posted up.

Obviously the trunk lever still has to stay there after the camera is installed otherwise how would one open the trunk? Hmmmm..... this is not as straightforward as I thought it would be.
This is VERY straightforward actually. You dont need the trunk lever. Once the camera is installed you simply hit the button on your remote and all is well.
Old 05-16-06, 09:27 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by Lexbox
This is VERY straightforward actually. You dont need the trunk lever. Once the camera is installed you simply hit the button on your remote and all is well.
What about the button in the car itself. Would that still work?
Old 05-16-06, 10:29 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

What about the button in the car itself. Would that still work?
Of course it still works. There are two mechanisms responsible for opening the trunk. An electronic release, which is put to use when you hit the remote button or pull the button from inside the cabin. And secondly, the old school bar method that is only used when you turn the key from the locking mechanism. You can equate it to our throttle cable setup. We have drive by wire but also a manual throttle cable as a backup.

I assure you it will take longer to run the wires for the camera than it will actually take to mount and aim the camera.
Old 05-16-06, 10:33 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Of course it still works. There are two mechanisms responsible for opening the trunk. An electronic release, which is put to use when you hit the remote button or pull the button from inside the cabin. And secondly, the old school bar method that is only used when you turn the key from the locking mechanism. You can equate it to our throttle cable setup. We have drive by wire but also a manual throttle cable as a backup.

I assure you it will take longer to run the wires for the camera than it will actually take to mount and aim the camera.
Thanks for the info! We learn something new everyday!
Old 05-16-06, 01:52 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Lexbox,
How did you secure your camera in the key hole? did you make a metal braket or do you have any pics that you can share?

Quick Reply: What are the exact measurements of the trunk key hole?