GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Tinted tails=permanent?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-06, 10:18 AM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tinted tails=permanent?

Hey guys I am looking to tint my tails on my car. I was first looking at tint spray because it is really cheap compared to going to the body shop. If I tint them and clear coat and do all that good stuff how permanent is it? How hard/easy is it to come off if I absolutely despise it?

Thanks,
Elliott
Old 05-11-06, 10:28 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Some of the do it yourself sprays can be peeled off/. My issue with the do it yourself jobs is that they always look "fuzzy", not glossy and smooth like the professionally done jobs. You might be able to apply a clearcoat over the do it yourself stuff to get a decent look... of course, this would make it difficult to remove.

The permanent (professionally applied) stuff could always be sanded off and buffed back to a high shine...
Old 05-11-06, 11:19 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can also bake the lights, take them apart and spray it from the inside and then reassemble. That resolves the issue of it not looking shiny on the oustside.
Old 05-11-06, 11:49 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Some of the do it yourself sprays can be peeled off/. My issue with the do it yourself jobs is that they always look "fuzzy", not glossy and smooth like the professionally done jobs. You might be able to apply a clearcoat over the do it yourself stuff to get a decent look... of course, this would make it difficult to remove.

The permanent (professionally applied) stuff could always be sanded off and buffed back to a high shine...
Contact Aerotech one of our vendors. They have smoke overlays for tail lights at a good price. If you don't like it, it can be peeled off. I have there yellow overlays for my fogs. Here are some of there overlays on the Is350 https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...smoke+overlays

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 05-11-06 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-11-06, 12:00 PM
merchant26
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can always get a smoked taillight cover for $50 dollars. And if you don't like them you can always remove them without ruining your tail lights!

Here is a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...64248396QQrdZ1
Old 05-11-06, 12:28 PM
blk on blk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by merchant26
You can always get a smoked taillight cover for $50 dollars. And if you don't like them you can always remove them without ruining your tail lights!

I was interested in that until I saw that he has "0" feedback...I will take a look and see what I can find out there though!
Old 05-11-06, 01:03 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by merchant26

Also those are for an 06'....

If you want to try something.....order the ones that stickercity has. I'd be curious myself what they look like. I think they are like $60 or so.
Old 05-11-06, 02:25 PM
merchant26
Rookie

I know other another company that is near to where I live, and they sell black tint. I will order it when I get my Lexus and give you guys an update!
Old 05-11-06, 02:57 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

I tinted my tailights red on the orange section of the 01+ tails. It doesn't have a fuzzy look at all.

When i took it to the Lexus dealership, the guy looked at it and asked if it was supposed to look like that. He couldn't tell the difference until he realized that the red part was supposed to be orange. It looked very professional and factory.

The way I did mine took a very long time. I cleaned the tails very carefully. Use a microfiber towel so that you won't scratch anything. Make sure all the dust is off and that the surface is really smooth.

I think sprayed the tailights very evenly. Not too much because it will look like it was gunked on. Just let the mist fall into place.

Since it was hot out, I just closed all the windows in my car and i placed the finished tailights in the car in the back seat. Over newspaper of course. I baked the finished tailights in the car for several hours and let them dry in the heat.

For the next couple of days I was very careful with the tailights. I cleaned them daily to make sure new dust particles and junk were gettign embedded in to the fresh tint. And after about 4 days, they were solid and looked completely factory. They weren't fuzzy or dull at all. Very clean and factory looking enough to fool the Lexus techs at the dealership.

It's easy to get the tint off but it takes some patience and some time. I used Goo-gone and wiped the tinted section for awhile before the tint came completely off (My tailights were previously tinted red, but I needed to do them again because I got a new right tailight after an accident). I put some goo-gone over the tinted section and let it soak for awhile. I then got a towel and gently but firmly rubbed the tint away. It takes some time and several coats of goo-gone but it works fine. Afterwards, I wiped it down with some windex and water with a microfiber towel.

That should be enough to get all the tint off completely.

You should definitely do this yourself. It's not hard and you'll be saving some bucks.
Old 05-11-06, 03:10 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Guys I passed along this thread to Aerotect and they're looking into a couple of products for the 2GS
Old 05-11-06, 03:29 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

I checked stickercity and they only have it for the IS. I couldn't find em for the GS. What do I need to do this?
Old 05-11-06, 03:38 PM
merchant26
Rookie

Just call Sticker City, they do offer it, I have already talked to a rep and he confirmed it!
Old 05-11-06, 03:42 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by bighitbike
I checked stickercity and they only have it for the IS. I couldn't find em for the GS. What do I need to do this?
They don't have it yet... I gave them a few ideas for products that I think members would be interested in and one of their techs is going to look into producing it.

Sticker City does not support our forum.... Aerotect does and they're allowed to do group buys here
Old 05-11-06, 03:44 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Do they have a website dave? And if I do do the tint spray do I need a clear coat or should I be fine?

Thanks,
Elliott
Old 05-11-06, 03:46 PM
merchant26
Rookie

group buys are always the best

Quick Reply: Tinted tails=permanent?