GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

L-Tuned wheels and component installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-01, 02:28 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default L-Tuned wheels and component installation

Hi all,

I've been reading this forum off and on but I am now getting close to take the plunge into getting L-Tuned upgrades. I have a 98 GS3. I am not planning on doing any racing/track driving but I do want better feel. Although I have not driven one, the L-Tuned suspension sounds about as far as I want to push it.

My plan was to get L-Tuned parts all around minus the body kit. Although personal tastes may vary, is there any strong reason NOT to get the L-Tuned OZ 18"s? I kinda like having the "L" insert.

As for installation, has anyone in the SF Bay area have good experiences with a particular Lexus dealer? If so, is there a contact you can pass on? I am currently looking at dealers so I can maintain the warranty. I've called a few dealers and some of the responses does not give me confidence.

Thanks in advance for any info or advice about the L-Tuned parts and their install.
Old 09-20-01, 02:48 PM
GSman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you ever decide to upgrade to a big brake kit, I don't believe the L-Tuned 18" will clear as they are not high disk.
Old 09-20-01, 03:44 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neo,

l-tuned wheels in 18s pkg are good prices if you like the deign. plus they are made by a good company. the wheel design just do not stir up anything inside of me.

william
Old 09-20-01, 08:07 PM
Mr GS400
Pole Position

I personally think that L-Tuned components are the right way to go since they're 'endorsed' by Lexus. I think the L-Tuned parts compliment the 'investment' and offer the best compromise when you sell the car. Putting a bunch of radical or racing aftermarket equipment on a quick, but, not performance oriented motor car undermines the 'luxury' aspects of the marquee.

In fact I just got a set of the 18" OZ wheels + Michelin Super Pilot tires from Steve at Carson Toyota along with the steering ECU. I also liked the idea of a package deal (wheel/tires mounted & balanced by L-Tune). Plan to mount them this weekend. If you're interested I can post a picture when I'm finished.

I agree the wheels are not best looking on the market but certainly differentiate the car from the factory stock look and offer a bit more agressive stance.

Don't throw rocks . . That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

Old 09-20-01, 08:22 PM
HKSpowerGS4
Driver

Serramonte Lexus in Daly City is a good dealership that you could use for installation. They were a host of the most recent northern California meet. I know a few of the techs and managers there and know there capabilites and work. If you are interested, I can fill you in with the specific contacts.

Will
Old 09-20-01, 08:40 PM
Neo
The One

MR GS400, pics would be great. Was it pretty straight forward to get the parts from Steve? Wheels tend to be pretty heavy. Was shipping pretty costly? I agree with your 'luxury' sentiment. A few years ago when I was "younger" , I would have gone for something more agressive. That's what having kids will do to you.

Will, contacts would be great. I actually work in Redwood Shores so I am not too far from Serramonte.
Old 09-22-01, 08:51 AM
///MPower
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Mr GS400

In fact I just got a set of the 18" OZ wheels + Michelin Super Pilot tires from Steve at Carson Toyota along with the steering ECU. I also liked the idea of a package deal (wheel/tires mounted & balanced by L-Tune). Plan to mount them this weekend. If you're interested I can post a picture when I'm finished.

Yeah Mr GS400.....Post pics!!!! We wanna see your tight ride!!!!!!
Old 09-22-01, 10:34 AM
HKSpowerGS4
Driver

Neo,

I know a few different people at Serramonte. What exactly did you plan on doing? Is it just parts, just service, or a combination of thw two? That way I can send you to the right person.

Will
Old 09-22-01, 03:25 PM
Neo
The One

Will,

Parts-wise, I was looking at ordering from Steve. I do not know if Serramonte can do any better at prices. My brother lives in So Cal so I was going to ask him to pick up the parts for me to save on some shipping. I don't know if he has room for 4 wheels and tires though when he drives up though. Maybe I'll get these at Serramonte.

I know that many has gotten parts from Steve. I see the prices on l-tunedparts.com. Do you know if "paid" CL members get additional discounts? I am not sure how that deal works. I actually don't see this message anymore since the forum moved to the new server.

Installation-wise, definitely. I would consider 3rd-party shops to do install if they come with high recommendations from the members here. Otherwise, I'd like to play it safe and install at a Lexus dealer that knows what to do.

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-23-01, 01:55 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Just felt like throwing my 2 cents in... I've seen pictures of the L-Tuned wheels and lower rockers, and frankly they didn't do a thing for me. Well, I happened to be in the local Lexus dealer to pick up some touch-up paint {friggin rock chips }, and they had the full L-Tuned package on a white 430... let's just say I got wood! Pictures don't do the wheels justice. I would prefer a larger lip, but still, for those looking for a real class setup, I think it's a good choice. Bad thing was, the dealer had tacked on $9K for the whole package
Old 09-23-01, 07:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts
Default Re: L-Tuned Wheels

Here's the pic of the recently installed wheels. I think they look better up front and in person.
You can't link to a file on your hard drive - you need to attach it or have it on the web somewhere and link to it.
Old 09-23-01, 07:41 PM
Mr GS400
Pole Position

Default Re: Re: L-Tuned Wheels

Originally posted by bitkahuna

You can't link to a file on your hard drive - you need to attach it or have it on the web somewhere and link to it.

Let's try this picture one more time.
Attached Thumbnails L-Tuned wheels and component installation-lexus2.jpg  
Old 09-23-01, 08:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: L-Tuned Wheels

Looks terrific. I still think Lexus should have chosen the next size of tires up front/back though (245 and 275).
Old 09-23-01, 08:37 PM
///MPower
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Re: Re: Re: L-Tuned Wheels

Unfortuntely, the pictures don't do them justice. I have seen those wheels in person and they are friggin hot!!!! Whatta a killer ride!!!
Old 09-23-01, 09:05 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Neo,

Welcome to CLubLexus.

Where do you work in Redwood Shores? I'm guessing either Oracle or EA. I live in the Shores.

Like Will, I also know the folks at Serramonte, including the Service and Parts directors. If you need any assistance, let me know.

If you like to be added to the Bay Area roster, pls PM me your info; name, email, hometown, year and model Lexus. I email notices for meets, etc.

Quick Reply: L-Tuned wheels and component installation