GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS400 Plugs 1999

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-06, 07:11 AM
lex4
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS400 Plugs 1999

Hi to Everyone!

I'm trying to change the plugs on my engine and I am having difficulty accessing the spark plugs after having removed the coil. There is a rubber insert, should I pull that out in order to access the plug? I tried pulling it out but don't want to use excessive force for fear of damaging it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alex
Old 05-15-06, 09:26 AM
maintrain
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong, but the rubber insert (boot) actually connects to the coil. If it's down in the hole, see if you can twist it to free from the spark plug. Then you can pull it out. I was able to bend mine a fair amount without damaging the boot.
Old 05-15-06, 09:27 AM
maintrain
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, Welcome to CL!
Old 05-15-06, 09:29 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As stated above - the boot should be connected to the coil pack. If not then just pull it/twist it off.

Changing plugs on our car is probably the easiest car in the world to do it.

Good luck,
Jonny
Old 05-15-06, 11:06 AM
lex4
Rookie

Thanks to both of you for such a quick reply. The other thing that puzzled was the spring that was inside the rubber booth, if it would have been just the rubber then I would have tried a little harder.
Thanks again

Alex
Old 05-23-06, 08:41 AM
lex4
Rookie

Hi!
Big mistake!!! Tried to pull out the rubber portion with needle nose pliers and the darn thing ripped in half. Put back the rubber portion back in the engine and of course the engine started
acting up. Took it out again and siliconed the two halves together and the engine is running fine.
There must be a special tool for such removals or am I the only one with such bad luck?

Alex
Old 05-23-06, 09:37 AM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

i had that same problem.. i was scared to rip it so i just took it to the dealer they did it fine without problems i hear those things are pricey to replace.. good luck!
Old 05-23-06, 09:38 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you think it melted and got stuck or what caused it to stick?? Mine have always come out without any problems

At least you got it fixed

Jonny
Old 05-23-06, 10:10 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3

Changing plugs on our car is probably the easiest car in the world to do it.

Good luck,
Jonny

I personally thing Honda's 4cyl engines are the easiest. Pull out the spark plug wires and start removing the spark plugs

No need for one of those ball joint socket thingy.

But crap..it's probably the easiest V8 I've ever worked on. The worse is one of those Chevyor Dodge work van where their engines are half-way into the cabin
Old 05-23-06, 11:17 AM
lex4
Rookie

For the rubber to fuse onto the plug you would need faily high temperatures. I think the spring sitting on the plug is probably making it difficult for the rubber to come off. There is separation taking place between the rubber and the round metal wall that the whole coil-plug combo is sitting in.
Maybe spraying with some WD-40 might help loosen it?

Alex
Old 05-24-06, 07:09 AM
lex4
Rookie

I'm surprised by the lack of responses on this subject figuring it would be the easiest to have knowledge about, a simple tune up. I guess driving a Lexus puts one in a higher category of snob. Don't common folk drive expensive cars anymore?

Alex
Old 05-24-06, 07:57 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Yes we're snobs.

Actually no. This is not a 24/7 service hotline so you can't expect instant response.

In addition, if the subject was easy to acknowledge about (a simple tune up), why haven't you figured out a solution?

Reason for the lack of response is not too many have had this problem before. During our tune-up, most people don't run into this problem.
Old 05-24-06, 08:06 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The guys are right about the rubber boot. Did you get the plugs out? Here is a tip for the future. When installing your new plugs, it is a good idea to put some anti-seize on the treads of each plug so removal will be easy Good luck.
Old 05-24-06, 09:30 AM
lex4
Rookie

Like I said there are still some nice people in this world, the others I would not give a plugged nickel for.
No I haven't got the plugs out because the same thing was happening in the three cylinders that I tried removing the plugs from, the rubber stayed behind in the well. I'm afraid of ripping the rubber portion again.
Thanks for the input

Alex
Old 05-24-06, 09:41 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lex4
Like I said there are still some nice people in this world, the others I would not give a plugged nickel for.
No I haven't got the plugs out because the same thing was happening in the three cylinders that I tried removing the plugs from, the rubber stayed behind in the well. I'm afraid of ripping the rubber portion again.
Thanks for the input

Alex
Here is your savior http://lexusmodz.netfirms.com/ Big thanks to Anh (bananasgs) for doing this. Give him a small donation if you can. Nice guy

Quick Reply: GS400 Plugs 1999