GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Sick of hearing the famous Lexus line .... "Toyota with buttons"

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-06, 08:19 PM
gbpackers4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sick of hearing the famous Lexus line .... "Toyota with buttons"

"Toyota with buttons"... That is what I've heard so many times while I have owned this car..... I own a gs-300 and people will tell me that I bought a Toyota .... I know the Toyota and Lexus are owned by the same company but so is Mercedes and Chrysler....... Can someone give me some good valid points on how this myth is not true because it is extremely annoying....
Lexus is made in its own plant..... It costs more money... Its a whole different car.....
People beg to differ and say that Toyota and Lexus use the same frames, and are made in the same place....
Am I wrong??? Or are these people just trying to bust me up?
Old 05-15-06, 08:39 PM
Methodical
Lead Lap

It is a Toyota I've been to Chiba City, Japan twice and there is no Lexus over there. It's ALL Toyota. I don't care what everyone else says, they're just hatin' man.
Old 05-15-06, 08:42 PM
phunkyGS
Lead Lap

pack...i think you're putting too much thought into these comments. if you're happy with your car, who cares that somebody else thinks it's a glorified toyota. it is a toyota. but, if you're wanting some differences between your 2nd gen gs300 and the same gen toyota avalon, here's a few differences...

* i can't remember the percentage, but almost all the sheet metal is different
* you have an inline 6, the avalon is a v6
* you have rwd, the avalon is fwd
* your car is made in japan, the avalon is made in the untied states

i'm sure some of the others will add to this, but these are off the top off my head. if you do a search, this topic has been discussed a few times before. check this link for one.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=lexus+toyota

don't sweat it, bro...just enjoy your nice ride.
Old 05-15-06, 08:45 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Only the lexus es-300-330-350 share the frame with a toyota, (camry). All in all lexus is a toyota but why get offended? Its more reliable then '"zee germanz" and the interior on the lexus flagship sedan rivals that of bentley. I'm sure many mercedes and bmw owners are proud even after they see there dealer more then there own wifes/husbands. Be proud to own a car with such high standards and build quality and sleep well knowing lexus is well on its way to dominate the world market and set a new standard like mercedes and bmw did decades ago.
Old 05-15-06, 09:03 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I agree with everyone else. There is no shame in owning one of the highest quality vehicles, and one the most reliable brand.
Old 05-15-06, 09:12 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

who cares its a great car and people are just jealous

dont pay em no mind and they will stop i bet...
Old 05-15-06, 09:19 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I would respond with the fact that I'm glad my car is made by "Toyota." In fact, I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't. I didn't realize there was something embarassing about owning one of the most reliable cars on the road.
Old 05-15-06, 09:40 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

yea i wouldn't care what other people say - toyota is a great company and so reliable! no one ever gives me crap about lexus/toyota being the same company lol just don't let the comments phase you.. it's no big deal it's still a LEXUS
Old 05-15-06, 09:54 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Methodical
It is a Toyota I've been to Chiba City, Japan twice and there is no Lexus over there. It's ALL Toyota. I don't care what everyone else says, they're just hatin' man.
Minor correction. There is Lexus over there now.
Old 05-16-06, 07:23 PM
amul
Rookie

Originally Posted by phunkyGS
pack...i think you're putting too much thought into these comments. if you're happy with your car, who cares that somebody else thinks it's a glorified toyota. it is a toyota. but, if you're wanting some differences between your 2nd gen gs300 and the same gen toyota avalon, here's a few differences...

* i can't remember the percentage, but almost all the sheet metal is different
* you have an inline 6, the avalon is a v6
* you have rwd, the avalon is fwd
* your car is made in japan, the avalon is made in the untied states

i'm sure some of the others will add to this, but these are off the top off my head. if you do a search, this topic has been discussed a few times before. check this link for one.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=lexus+toyota

don't sweat it, bro...just enjoy your nice ride.

Just wanted to add that the badges are different.
I personally feel that my gs300 drives just as smooth as my parents v6 camry. Both cars are built with quality, also may share electrical and some mechanical components....how else can they prove out such good reliability. Share electrical parts among platforms that are proven time and time again.
Have you also noticed, some of the parts under the hood do say "Toyota". Someone also mentioned that older gs had "Toyota "encribed on the window ?

The gs has it's share of sqeaks and rattles.......my parents Camry does not at 100K miles?
My S2000 has to be the most solid built car I've ever owned....the convertible seems to have no flex . Drives like it's on rails....handles bumps better than the GS?
Old 05-16-06, 07:34 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Don't waste your time coming up with rational, logical arguments (there are many). People who make comments like this do not respond to reason. They are only interested in making derogatory comments to make themselves feel better and (hopefully) **** you off.
Don't fall for it. Personally, I don't give a rat's *** what people think of my car. If they like it, fine. If they don't, fine. Don't place so much value on other people's opinions and enjoy your car!
My .02...
Old 05-16-06, 10:16 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I remember someone saying not too long ago that the Lexus isnt a beefed up Toyota, the the Toyota is a dumbed down Lexus. hmm
Old 05-16-06, 10:27 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by FutureGS400
Don't waste your time coming up with rational, logical arguments (there are many). People who make comments like this do not respond to reason. They are only interested in making derogatory comments to make themselves feel better and (hopefully) **** you off.
Don't fall for it. Personally, I don't give a rat's *** what people think of my car. If they like it, fine. If they don't, fine. Don't place so much value on other people's opinions and enjoy your car!
My .02...

Why let ignorant words coming from an ignorant person bother you?